News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Newbe questions for repainting.

Started by Die_Maulquappe, July 01, 2018, 09:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Die_Maulquappe

Hi have some question for the pros here in terms of preparation for repaint and repainting overall.

1. Do you just overpaint the colored model?
2. With or without a primer (if yes better white or black?)

3. Or do you get rid of the original colour with some colour-solver like acetone (wash petrol)?
    Can this decompose /attack the plastic or rubber material they are made of (like Rebor/PSNO) so that it´s better just to paint over?

I am asking in this case because  with more layers over the original paint some small sculpted details maybe get lost.

4. Is Acrylic Paint good for repaint?

5. Is there something other important to note when repainting?

Thx 4 help
Videos of my statues, figures and dioramas here:
TITANS_of_the_EARTH
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2QYASMKvj9McImqRk1MhCA

Halichoeres

1. Usually yes.

2. With primer, definitely. Color is your choice, but you will probably need less paint to cover white primer than black primer.

3. No, this usually won't work. I think most mass-produced toys use PVC-based paint, which won't be readily separable from the underlying mold. If there are big globs of paint you might be able to improve the detail with a craft knife.

4. Yup, as long as you use primer.

5. I recommend reading this entire thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=395.0
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

paintingdinos

Just a quick addition to the primer color question:

What color you prime with can actually make a big difference as to what the final painted product will look like, so its generally a good idea to pick your color scheme first, then prime based on that. Starting with a black base will usually make your finished product appear less saturated and darker. I usually start with a black base when I want to do something really earthy or natural looking.

White allows colors to really pop, and you can get some super vibrant colors with way fewer layers/thinner paint when using white. If your color scheme is going to rely heavily on yellows, tans, or (of course) white, definitely want to start with a white primer.

If you don't know what you really want, you can always meet halfway and go with a grey primer.... that's what I usually do  ;)

Halichoeres

^^^
6. Listen to her, she knows what she's talking about.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

danmalcolm

I've always used grey primer and it's good for all-purpose painting. If you do white on black primer (or vice versa) you'll probably find yourself doing many coats.

Megalosaurus

5.-
Be PATIENT.
Look for VIDEO tutorials. (Techniques are easier to learn from observation)
Start with something small.
Don't overuse darkwash.
Stay away from dust.
Get a mate spray varnish.
Clean carefully your figure.
Eat fruits & vegetables, and say NO to drugs.

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.