News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your luckiest toy find

Started by CarnegieCollector, September 27, 2016, 04:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Flaffy on April 11, 2018, 08:48:35 PM
Managed to secure a full set of PV prehistoric marine reptiles for under $40USD.
It's not a small price tag by any means, but its still a good deal for such rare figures.
How much did the last full set sell for anyways?

I found them in a bin in a gift shop in the middle of nowhere for something like 50 cents a pop. I bought all of them. Numerous multiples, the only one absent being the mosasaur.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

UK

I would have to say my luckiest was finding nearly 4 complete sets of brumm flats, many painted, being sold on eBay Germany for 80 euros, marked as scrap pewter. With these, I was able to complete several long term collectors sets, sell the others over a period of time. With the proceeds my wife and I went to Majorca for a week and I was lucky to fund many Japanese purchases :-). I think that was a once in a life time find.

CityRaptor

Scrap Pewter? I guess that means that not only you were lucky, but the Brumms, too. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stegosauria

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on April 08, 2017, 06:14:37 PM
I am few months ago I found my Battat mini Utahraptor that I lost while cleaning my grandpa's patio. I thought I didn't own it until I found it. It was lost for like 10 years. The paint still looks good too, maybe slightly faded. I can't really tell. This maybe don't fit for this topic but it was a luckiest toy find. Lol

A little similar was for me when I finally found again my Papo mammoth- the one with the stripes on its trunk (until recently I think the best looking mammoth). My mother put it away so much I didn't find it for years (my mother is like a moving Bermuda Triangle- anything she touches just disappears because she doesn't remember where she put it when I ask her).

And I got that mammoth quite cheap through teszvesz (that and vatera are like ebay just in Hungary) and I met the seller near my student hostel (Hungary is tiny, 20% of the population lives in Budapest and there are plenty of people who are commuter or visits Budapest with some regularity and most of the rest lives in the bigger cities so most of the sellers offer personal exchange, a "rendezvous" besides post).

I managed to get my WS Vagaceratops through the webshop of a mostly online bookshop when in Hungary the Safari figures became scarce (for now unfortunately disappaered). Never met in Hungary much Safari figures in stores but I think was lucky I could get my Carnegie Miragaia, Amargasaurus and WS Rhamphorhynchus from a Hungarian store personally.

Recently my lucky catches are my Battat Cryolophosaurus (thanks to my question to Sue at Everything Dinosaur and later to her putting one aside for me from the last meager bunch), the PNSO and China Post Seven Little Dinosaurs set (thanks to acro-man) and a Kaiyodo Expo set from 2002 from Halichoeres.

About the Kaiyodo set- I and Halichoeres just started to negotiate what I'd like to buy from his list, I asked the Acrocanthosaurus skeleton too and just mentioned I wish you still have a fleshy one (on his list the purple Acro was already sold). He wrote that maybe there's some yet, he will look around for it a little. Then in the next PM he just asked I meant that figure and the attached picture showed in a little battered cardboard box (16 years old) and in unopened plastic package the five figures and among them the white Acrocanthosaurus- my jaws dropped and almost didn't believe my godsend (the Acrocanthosaurus is my favorite theropod and for a first catch I would be happy with the more common purple one too but of course I jumped the oppurtunity- the whole box full of beautiful exclusive figures for 60$ when on ebay some sellers offer the white Acro for similar prices or for more).

amargasaurus cazaui

Three of my best finds were through forum member Halocheroes actually. I collect all psittacosaurus models, but two of the more elusive could be the Capcom Expo version...which I felt I had an agreement with , through another forum member here. When his shipment arrived he announced he only had limited numbers and would be unable to suppy me one. ( despite the fact I had been the one who first requested one) Halicheroes found me one, at a superb price and filled that niche for me.
      An even tougher find would be the Starlux psittacosaurus which I had all but given up hopes of. Sure enough Halicheroes purchased a group of them, and was able to sort me a psittacosaurus from the bunch. Nice piece and a great price again.
     Perhaps a crowning achievement was acquiring a psittacosaurus hand signed by Paul Sereno, for my collection. It was another bucket list type idea that was made a reality for me by Haicheroes. I did compensate him for the filled request, but what a great story and amazing piece to have.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SidB

For me, that would have to be the Safari Wooly Rhino in a package with the old blue Therizinosaurus and the Bullyland Mammoth, all for 3.99 Cdn. total. Then there was the Battat v. 3 Tyrannosaurus for 2.99. Thanks Value Village! The Rhino was going for 69.99 at the time from Monster House, Hong Kong and 399.00 from another ebay "source," so my find was gratifying.

Shonisaurus

One of my most fortunate findings was to buy DinoLord (member of the forum) the Carnegie female oviraptor as I call it. I send it totally new and that figure is very hard to find. I am eternally grateful to DinoLord.  ^-^

Primeval12

When i snagged the Battat T- Rex for $3.99 at Savers!

tyrantqueen

I don't have one :-\ I remember seeing some old Carnegies in a charity shop but I did not buy them.

Shonisaurus

Very recently a member of the forum UK offered to sell me his uintatherium or eobasileus of Play Visions and thanks to him I have one of the rarest figures in my collection, taking into account that the prehistoric mammals of Play Visions are almost impossible to find in the market online as (eBay or Amazon). I am eternally grateful. Without his help, I would not have achieved that authentic work of art.

Thanks to UK now I have three uintatherium that of Collecta, Play Visions and Safari.

Lanthanotus

My most recent lucky find was a bunch of Kleinwelka figures, some of them double, for a price you could call a steal (click). Those are my first Kleinwelkas, three more to complete the collection - but at least two od these three will be a major pain in the rear entry.... :D

MLMjp

My second Jurassic Park 3 Animatronic Spinosaurus. I found it on a geek store two years ago and it only cost 20€. Considering the prices it usually goes on ebay I think I can say that I was pretty lucky. :D :D :D

DinoToyForum

If we're talking dinosaur toys, seven or eight years ago I visited a small local museum (Warwick) to discover a bin full of Invicta Dimetrodons for 50p each. They must've been excess stock from a decade prior. I bought a handful. In retrospect, I should've bought more! But I felt lucky, nonetheless! I've given them all away to DTF members over the years. ^-^

PhilSauria

I think my lucky find would be the full set of Kinto Favorite figures, including both T-rex colour variants, hanging on the wall of a local fossil and gemstone shop. The owner said that most of her customers pretty much ignored the figures, which had been there for ages. After that I'd say finding the Kabaya Seismosaurus on eBay for a much lower price than usually listed but with it having gone under the radar of any other collectors at the time. Picked it up with mine the only bid.

Flaffy

Managed to secure an unpainted Battat Parasaurolophus and Maiasaura for ~$2 each in a local toy shop.
Seems like these white mounds have crept their way to Hong Kong, gonna keep an eye out for more, wish me luck  ;D

Huskies

For me, Battat Diplodocus. I bought it at the retail price when it first came out. I didn't know anything about Battat but I thought that the figure was cool. For recent figures, I have to say knowing acro-man. He gave us access of buying PNSO figures at reasonable price, not like some ridiculous prices on ebay.

Shonisaurus

One of my luckiest purchases on the Internet and for more accuracy in the DFT was the purchase of a very affordable dilophosaurus from Battat third version thanks to Halichoeres.

It was very cheap and the most important thing was in perfect conditions.

Another pretty nice and good acquisition was that of the favorite version of the dilophosaurus thanks to another member of the Invicta Hunter forum apart from the triadobatrachus and placodus of Play Visions at a very good price.

On the other hand thanks to Magicgluelong I got the Crassigyrinus and the Platyhytrix at a very cheap price for seven dollars each. Fourteen dollars! with the obvious shipping costs. For me it was a bargain.

On the other hand from the UK I bought the dinosaurs of Capcom edmontosaurus, mamenchisaurus, tyrannosaurus yellow and tyrannosaurus blue (as I call them) at a very affordable price as well.

Of course I am very happy with all the sellers of DTF none has disappointed me.  :)

Brachiosaurus

My luckiest find was finding the Dinosaurs of China Safari ltd Therizinosaurus at The Dinosaur Place in Connecticut in 2012. I have also found the retired Carnegie Sinraptor there too.

Syndicate Bias

Eh, just the brown papo raptor for 24 dollars which i sold for 60. Other than that I can't think of anything else lol

Bookerassic

You guys are finding so many Battat dinos for cheap!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: