News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your luckiest toy find

Started by CarnegieCollector, September 27, 2016, 04:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neosodon

I got the small Safari Protoceratops for free while helping to clean up a rummage sale. I was to lazy to upload my own picture so it's the brown one on the left.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Lanthanotus

Very nice figure, didn't know of its existence until now :D

yankeetrex

Got the OG Battat Rex and the JP Demon Carnotaurus for a total of 1.50 at a flea market.  It was a good day.

Roselaar

Quote from: yankeetrex on March 27, 2017, 04:23:02 AM
Got the OG Battat Rex and the JP Demon Carnotaurus for a total of 1.50 at a flea market.  It was a good day.

I'll say! You can't really get much luckier than that! Unless the Demon came with both dino damage skin patch and capture gear.

Brontozaurus

There's a comic shop here in Sydney that mostly sells junk, like old McDonalds toys, but it used to maintain a second hand dinosaur section, and that's where I found the Carnegie Deinonychus trio and the Tyco Styracosaurus.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Brontozaurus on March 29, 2017, 01:11:31 PM
[...] Carnegie Deinonychus trio [...]

Nice, I found that one too just a bit ago within a lot of other Carnegies and for a very nice price. Despite their "ugliness" I like the Deinonychus and Protoceratops on nest dioramas, but both are incredibly hard to find in Europe.

sauroid

is the Tyco Dino riders Deinonychus rare and valuable?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

Quote from: sauroid on March 29, 2017, 04:29:23 PM

Not really. Heck, Tyco even released two versions of it in its first DR line, then re-released one (or perhaps both) for the Smithsonian series. I think it's actually one of the least rare DR figures, like most of Series.

sauroid

Quote from: Roselaar on March 29, 2017, 08:15:21 PM

Not really. Heck, Tyco even released two versions of it in its first DR line, then re-released one (or perhaps both) for the Smithsonian series. I think it's actually one of the least rare DR figures, like most of Series.
thanks. so which is the most scarce of the DR figures?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

Quote from: sauroid on March 29, 2017, 08:19:52 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on March 29, 2017, 08:15:21 PM

thanks. so which is the most scarce of the DR figures?

Series 3 Pachyrhinosaurus, I'm pretty sure. Or the mailaway Pterodactyl.

BTW, is this a good time to tell you about that time I found a DR Brontosaurus for only 30 euros? And again the year after? ;) No gear though, too bad...

LeapingLaelaps

As of this morning I got a retired Carnegie Diplodocus on Ebay for $49 (usually goes for $240+ on Amazon) 8)

CrypticPrism

Quote from: Rhamphorhynchus on April 03, 2017, 02:19:17 PM
As of this morning I got a retired Carnegie Diplodocus on Ebay for $49 (usually goes for $240+ on Amazon) 8)

Gg. I had my eye on the same prize.

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 29, 2017, 01:17:49 PM
Quote from: Brontozaurus on March 29, 2017, 01:11:31 PM
[...] Carnegie Deinonychus trio [...]

Nice, I found that one too just a bit ago within a lot of other Carnegies and for a very nice price. Despite their "ugliness" I like the Deinonychus and Protoceratops on nest dioramas, but both are incredibly hard to find in Europe.

I'm pretty sure they're hard to find here in Australia too. Carnegie/WS were never common here and no physical stores stock them in this city.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Shonisaurus

Although I mentioned in another message the figure that I was very lucky to find was in the ankylosaurus of Bullyland, it came from this figure (perhaps the best preserved for my fortune since they were used dinosaurs), the tyrannosaurus rex (first edition Of the Schleich Humbold Museum) and the allosaurus (Bullyland version) all discontinued.

Obviously I was interested in ankylosaurus as it was the only prehistoric animal figure of Bullyland that I lacked apart from the exclusive figures of Bullyland (protochirotherium, spinophorosaurus and procynosuchus) all found thanks to Dansdinosaurs, Dejankins and ebay of Slovenia respectively and apart from that All new. It cost me this figure along with the other discontinued at a ridiculous price just over 36 euros. I arrived in a matter of days I did not have to wait nor a week I came with the DHL courier service (also I must say the German vendor was on eBay excellent and I suppose a person wanted to get rid of those figures.

Now I have this figure on my shelves and the other two discontinued figures I already had I gave them to my nephews grandchildren. I can state as I already said that it was one of my purchases and finds in which he was very lucky.

In fact such a figure the Bullyland ankylosaurus is almost impossible to find today.  :)

Lanthanotus

Nice find Shonisaurus :),...

.. indeed it is. I got mine from a lot together with the Bullyland Edaphosaurus amongst other discontinued Bullylands, all with tag and for a BIN of just 20 Euro. But it turns up on ebay just as often (or better to say seldom) as the Bullyland Edaphosaurus itself. Weird when you think of it being discontinued just since 2011.

Appalachiosaurus

I got a working TLW Bull T. rex for $5 at a garage sale, I know JP Toys aren't as celebrated here but i'm still kind of in shock about that even after the two or so years i've had it.

Daspletotyrannus

I am few months ago I found my Battat mini Utahraptor that I lost while cleaning my grandpa's patio. I thought I didn't own it until I found it. It was lost for like 10 years. The paint still looks good too, maybe slightly faded. I can't really tell. This maybe don't fit for this topic but it was a luckiest toy find. Lol

Halichoeres

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on April 08, 2017, 06:14:37 PM
I am few months ago I found my Battat mini Utahraptor that I lost while cleaning my grandpa's patio. I thought I didn't own it until I found it. It was lost for like 10 years. The paint still looks good too, maybe slightly faded. I can't really tell. This maybe don't fit for this topic but it was a luckiest toy find. Lol

I think that's pretty lucky!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Archosauria

My luckiest find would most likely be a Carnegie Smilodon and Protoceratops that someone on Facebook sold to me for $5.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Flaffy

Managed to secure a full set of PV prehistoric marine reptiles for under $40USD.
It's not a small price tag by any means, but its still a good deal for such rare figures.
How much did the last full set sell for anyways?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: