You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triceratops/Torosaurus and Sexual Dimorphism

Started by Ramose, April 14, 2018, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramose

Forgive me if this has been covered either here or in scholarly journals (I did a search of both the internet and the forum but didn't find much) but I have been wondering, has anyone discussed the possibility that the Torosaurus are male Triceratops?  There must be a reason that it was ruled.  I can't imagine that John Scannella and Jack Horner didn't consider the possibility when they proposed that the two are different growth stages of the same species, and since they didn't write about the possibility they must have ruled it out.  Anyone have any understanding of why they didn't formally consider this idea, or is it a possibility?  While I am an academic (ancient art historian/archaeologist) I'm not a paleontologist and am not up on the scholarly research on this, I hope someone else may be and can enlighten me.
Thank you!

Cretaceous Crab

I think it's definitely a possibility. I mean, its almost odd there is a HUGE variation in the larger ceratopsians and that so many lived in the same time / locales.

Libraraptor

Yeah, all the -ceratopses.
Too many in my opinion to belong to different species.
Add another pair of horns, you have this species, some additional decorartion here and ther, great, another species!
So sexual dimorphism is a possibility, yes.
Also, Horner mentioned Pachycephalosaurs in different stages of growth were put into different species, which he did not consider to be true.

suspsy

The Triceratops = Torosaurus hypothesis has been effectively debunked in separate studies by Andrew Farke and Nicholas Longrich.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ramose

Quote from: suspsy on April 24, 2018, 01:02:19 PM
The Triceratops = Torosaurus hypothesis has been effectively debunked in separate studies by Andrew Farke and Nicholas Longrich.

I am extremely happy to hear that!  My childhood is saved ;)

Palaios

Quote from: suspsy on April 24, 2018, 01:02:19 PM

Yep, there are too many differences in the skulls to be explained by ontogeny alone. When the new Denver Torosaurus is formally described, I suspect there will be differences in the skeleton as well.

On a side note, testing for sexual dimorphism in dinosaurs has proven frustrating. Nearly every example put forward has lost support with better data. I would guess if dinosaurs had sexual dimorphism, it would have been in soft tissues or keratin coverings.

Interesting considering it is pretty easy to measure dimorphism in most mammal skulls and skeletons.

Dinoguy2

The problem with a sexual dimorphism hypothesis is that it doesn't explain why Torosaurus fossils are so rare. You'd expect to find less fossils of really old/mature individuals in a population, or of a less common species. But if they're just male Triceratops, they should be nearly as common as regular Triceratops.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.