News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Beasts of the Mesozoic Hopes and Dreams

Started by Loon, October 30, 2019, 12:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Just can't wait until the tyrannosaurs are over so he can get back to an interesting clade.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

I'm guessing/hoping his tyrannosaurs will probably be rather sparsely feathered, if they're feathered at all.  With that in mind, I personally think the color schemes of carnivorous or big-headed lizards would look really good, for example:

Eastern Water Dragon

Common Basilisk

Great basin Collared Lizard

Black-throated Monitor (juvenile)

Black-and-white Tegu (juvenile)

Boyd's Forest Dragon

GojiraGuy1954

I'd like to see a Spinosaurid series that uses crocodilians for colours
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

Crocodilian Spinosaurs really is a trope I'd like to think we can rise above. Perhaps as a compromise Spinosaurs could be based on various aquatic life? One could be a crocodilian, another a diving bird, a sailfish, orca, maybe even a frog, etc.

As for the lizard Tyrannosaurs; I'd like to hope there will at least be feathered variants if no Tyrannosauroids, and I'm not sure how well these would translate. That or the theme wouldn't remain consistent between the Tyrannosaurs and Tyrannosauroids anymore. Feathers are weird, it's not hard to take patterns from them and apply them to skin or scales, but applying new patterns to feathers can be unpredictable, how they would overlap and change as the animal moved for example. They could end up looking nothing like the original. It's not that these are bad ideas, I'd love to have tegu patterned dinosaurs, but I'm just not sure how well it would work practically for this particular group.

Perhaps each Tyrannosaur could have a feathered and un-feathered/barely feathered variant based on two animals from the same area. IE a green iguana and a harpy eagle.

Smilodon P.

For the tyrannosauroids, I would choose colors based on big cats and other wild felines:

1/18 scale:

T-Rex (Featherd Version) = Lion
T-Rex (Unfeathered one) = Lioness
Zunchengtyrannus= Siberian Tiger
Alioramus Remotus= Cheetah
Yutyrannus = snow leopard
Albertosaurus= jaguar
Daspletosaurus= cougar
Labocania= Sand Cat
Teratophoneus=Sunda clouded Leopard
Gorgosaurus= (Black) Leopard
Lythronax = Andean Mountain  Ca
t
Tarbosaurus= Palas Cat
Nanuqsaurus= White tiger
Juvenile T-Rex = Leopon
Qianzhousaurus= Still Thinking

1/6 scale:
Guanlong= Caracal
Dilong = Jaguarundi
Santanaraptor= Ocelot
Proceratosaurus= Iberian lynx
suskityrannus  =Bobcat

In my opinion, the colors of certains poultry birds would look great in an oviraptosaurus series (everytime I see a drawing of  Cockatrice, automatically a Citipati image pops into my mind). Turkeys, chickens and others will fit perfectly in this toy line with only one exception:

Spoiler

[close]

suspsy

Given that lions are tawny brown all over, I honestly think that would be a rather boring choice for any dinosaur figure, let alone one in BotM. If we're going with big cats, then a tiger would be a more interesting and appropriate match for T. rex, what with both of them being the biggest representatives of their respective families.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Killekor

I like your suggestion of the big felines for the tyrannosaurs, Smilodon P.! I think that, as game birds, the resulting dinosaurs would turn out great! Plus, if Mr. Silva also makes baby Tyrannosaurs, he could base their color schemes on domestic cats!

Plus, I would like to see a feathered dinosaur or a psittacosaurus like dinosaur with a porcupine color scheme! It would be amazing!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 02, 2019, 02:24:22 PM
As for the lizard Tyrannosaurs; I'd like to hope there will at least be feathered variants if no Tyrannosauroids, and I'm not sure how well these would translate. That or the theme wouldn't remain consistent between the Tyrannosaurs and Tyrannosauroids anymore. Feathers are weird, it's not hard to take patterns from them and apply them to skin or scales, but applying new patterns to feathers can be unpredictable, how they would overlap and change as the animal moved for example. They could end up looking nothing like the original. It's not that these are bad ideas, I'd love to have tegu patterned dinosaurs, but I'm just not sure how well it would work practically for this particular group.

Perhaps each Tyrannosaur could have a feathered and un-feathered/barely feathered variant based on two animals from the same area. IE a green iguana and a harpy eagle.

I've been a fan of fully feathered tyrannosaurids in the past, but I'm much more inclined nowadays to think that if the big ones possessed any plumage, it would indeed have been minimal. My current favourite interpretions are along the lines of these ones by Todd Marshall and Beth Zaiken respectively. If David does indeed intend to do feathered versions, I hope he follows suit.

It's Scotty!

The more I think about it, the more I feel that birds of prey would be my preferred influence for colour schemes. As you said yourself, feather patterns can easily be applied to scales and skin, so it would probably be easy to create a Tyrannosaurus rex reminiscent of the eagles I listed earlier.

Oh, and let's not forget owls in addition to eagles and hawks and vultures. A great horned owl would be a good match for T. rex. It's not even the biggest owl in North America, but it's definitely the fiercest and most powerful. It's been known to attack, kill, and consume red-tailed hawks like the one below and great grey owls that are even larger than itself.

And a snowy owl would probably work well for Nanuqsaurus.  :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.