News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A pycnodont with piranha teeth

Started by Halichoeres, November 10, 2018, 07:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Piranhas aren't really that scary unless you step on their nests or otherwise harass them, but one reason they can do damage to larger animals is that their teeth interlock and can cut pieces (contrast to a pike, which has serious teeth but they're all piercing teeth). Pycnodonts, the coral- and algae-eating fishes of the Mesozoic, produced some fishes that work a lot like piranhas. Here's one called Piranhamesodon (from "piranha" obviously, and "Mesodon", another pycnodont genus), which is the earliest known actinopterygian capable of cutting chunks of animals.

The fossil:

The paper (open access): https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(18)31208-9

And another paper describing some other predatory pycnodonts last year, including the genus Serrasalmimus ("piranha mimic"): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06792-x

And finally, a write-up on CNN with a somewhat goofy illustration: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/18/world/flesh-eating-fish-fossil-jurassic/index.html
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The fossil looks quite interesting. Are there any other pycnodonts like this?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

I'm only aware of this one and the three genera described in the Scientific Reports paper in 2017, including Serrasalmimus. The new one is more complete than any of those, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.