News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA - new for 2019

Started by Halichoeres, November 02, 2018, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

Quote from: japfeif on June 03, 2019, 06:49:26 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 03, 2019, 12:20:57 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on June 02, 2019, 11:09:45 PM
What do you mean by '(no base)' after Irritator? I thought there was only one Irritator figure, is there a second one with a base like the Ichthyovenator somewhere?

They've been adding bases to some of their previously base-free figures, I think the Irritator is among them.

Yeah, and in my experience Irritator was just about the worst offended in the "will not stand on its own" department. I actually purchased 3 separate figures and in each case the figure just would not stand (the last one I got DID stand on it's own for about a week, then flopped over). I was quite happy when they finally made the figure with a base. There were 4-5 other problematic-with-standing dinos that were reissued with bases as well.

Weird, mine has never had any issues with standing. Guess I'm just lucky. Good that they're getting bases though, it's one of my favourite figures despite the inaccuracies.

Also good to hear that Nigersaurus is getting retired, hopefully in favour of a new version that's not so lumpy.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Takama

Shonisaurus

I would be willing to buy Dejankinds I have left a message to your email. I hope you answer me. Thank you very much for the information avatar_Takama @Takama

suspsy

Minizoo now has the Baryonyx, the Fukuiraptor, the Elasmotherium, and the remaining 2019 figures in stock!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on June 10, 2019, 12:09:41 AM
On another note, I'm surprised that CollectA hasn't taken a cue from Schleich and Papo and begun supplementing their assortments with a repaint or two.

This might be a far fetched hypothesis, but maybe it's to do with the kind of 'professional' collector CollectA appeals to. Now, obviously, this group isn't CollectA's main target audience, but it is the most vocal and (especially when compared with the main one) fickle audience, so it'd make sense to try to appease them the most. Within the collecting community, there seem to be two main groups. One of the main differences between these two groups is their prioritisation of aesthetics>scientific precision or scientific precision>aesthetics respectively. Another one is their favoured companies; Papo/Schleich or Safari/CollectA respectively. With this all considered, it's not a coincidence that the former companies do repaints much more other than the latter do; their main 'professional' audience will be more positive towards them than that of the latter companies (who'd likely view a repaint as a wasted release that could've been a new taxon or a more accurate remake). This also explains why CollectA never did anymore repaints after the Triceratops and Ankylosaurus; they had done those repaints before the science-focused collectors were reliable customers of theirs.

TL;DR: CollectA (and Safari Ltd.) definitely have nothing to gain or, in all likelihood, lose, from doing repaints as often as Schleich/Papo do.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Ravonium on June 20, 2019, 12:06:25 AM
On another note, I'm surprised that CollectA hasn't taken a cue from Schleich and Papo and begun supplementing their assortments with a repaint or two.

their main 'professional' audience will be more receptive towards them than that of the latter companies (who'd likely view a repaint as a wasted release that could've been a new taxon).

Thank God they don't do repaints. Papo doing that already drives me crazy  ;D ;D We need more species diversity, not endless repaints.

Shonisaurus

Repainted by Collecta were the triceratops and ankylosaurus Deluxe Scale 1:40, therefore repainted has done Collecta.

Ravonium

Quote from: Ikessauro on June 20, 2019, 01:33:33 AM
Quote from: Ravonium on June 20, 2019, 12:06:25 AM

their main 'professional' audience will be more receptive towards them than that of the latter companies (who'd likely view a repaint as a wasted release that could've been a new taxon).

Thank God they don't do repaints. Papo doing that already drives me crazy  ;D ;D We need more species diversity, not endless repaints.

See the comment above me as a demonstration of what I talked about in my previous post (I guess I should add that, even amongst Papo collectors, repaints are controversial, with, in general, the less loyalist ones often viewing the repaints as a waste of resources)

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 20, 2019, 07:55:26 AM
...therefore repainted has done Collecta.

;D I didn't know CollectA was made by someone called 'repainted'! ;D

Concavenator

The 2nd wave of 2019 releases is now available from Everything Dinosaur ( Baryonyx, Elasmotherium and Fukuiraptor)

Concavenator

Does anyone know the scale of the Carnotaurus? Since it's way too big for 1:40

Ravonium

Quote from: Concavenator on August 03, 2019, 03:35:09 PM
Does anyone know the scale of the Carnotaurus? Since it's way too big for 1:40

Here you go:
Quote from: Ravonium on November 09, 2018, 07:34:39 AMScale: 1:28 for a 7.8 meter long individual

Sim

Quote from: Patrx on November 06, 2018, 05:26:59 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 06, 2018, 03:43:10 PMThat isn't entirely correct however. We've seen mammals manage to create blue fur by layering colours together.

Well, blue-ish. Nothing quite like what's on this Caiuajara.

What mammals have blue fur?  The only example I'm aware of is golden mole iridescence sometimes appearing blue, which isn't true blue.

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 31, 2019, 06:22:10 PM
Recent finds have vindicated the colouring. Seems pycnofibres were more complex than we previously believed, and were branched like feathers.

The paper you're referring to identifies pycnofibers as being identical to filamentous feathers, not pennaceous feathers.  In the palaeontology community it's been believed that filamentous feathers aren't capable of bearing structural colours.

Quote from: suspsy on January 31, 2019, 06:38:13 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 31, 2019, 06:11:46 PM
CollectA finally released their 2019 E-Catalogue ,and you can see more pics of the new models there:

http://www.collecta.biz/en/e-catalogue

The Baryonyx and Carnotaurus look a lot better than they did on the  original promo pics! The Caiuajara looks pretty nice too, despite having those inaccurate blue pycnofibers  ::)

They are not inaccurate. Indeed, nobody ever pronounced that it was impossible for pycnofibres to be blue in the first place. That was merely speculation, and the most recent findings demonstrate that it is possible that they came in a wide variety of colours.

As I mentioned in response to stargatedalek, the paper you're referring to identifies pycnofibers as being filamentous feathers.  As far as I'm aware filamentous feathers aren't known to bear structural colour.  The paper also does not say pycnofibers/filamentous feathers can come in a wide variety of colours.  Regarding the Caiuajara though, it doesn't matter much since the blue on the pycnofibers is on such small areas and its possibly just a case of the paint not being applied carefully and spilling onto the pycnofibers.

The paper on pycnofibers=feathers? that's been referred to: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-018-0728-7.epdf?shared_access_token=wsj4P5pKcG3NWkJW-AmpRtRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0OhuDOmy4G-1OHvOkIfGGVa07EOVX4CcCn1ujEjIGdNkUvzBZug8tPjjaWNG4bQuVMptkL5xktsqRha5pWB32jiQniNwh5I29FN9QSZBgCnOnLfkJRv_sadxY_WtSQWxj4%3D

suspsy

avatar_Sim @Sim, why on Earth are you resurrecting topics from more than two years ago? Sorry, but I'm honestly not the least bit interested in discussing them now and I doubt any of the other former participants are either.

Stegotyranno420

Well avatar_suspsy @suspsy just because you were being replied to does not mean you have to reply back. Sim is not doing anything wrong. He is just asking harmless questions.  You could always ignore it aswell.

Sim

Thanks avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420!

Quote from: suspsy on August 06, 2021, 11:59:05 PM
avatar_Sim @Sim, why on Earth are you resurrecting topics from more than two years ago? Sorry, but I'm honestly not the least bit interested in discussing them now and I doubt any of the other former participants are either.

Your reply is uncalled for.  I did nothing wrong so I have nothing more to say to you.

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on August 07, 2021, 09:54:39 PM
Thanks avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420!

Quote from: suspsy on August 06, 2021, 11:59:05 PM

Your reply is uncalled for.  I did nothing wrong so I have nothing more to say to you.

Again, given that the posts you quoted above date all the way back to 2019 and 2018, I'd say my confusion is warranted. I just don't see the point of rehashing ancient history like that. For that matter, I don't understand why you didn't respond to them back then as opposed to now. But please yourself. Enjoy the rest of your day.

DinoToyForum

avatar_suspsy @suspsy enough with the personal attacks and rudeness, please. This is a formal warning, please be nice. C:-)

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on November 25, 2018, 02:28:02 PM
Quote from: Ravonium on November 25, 2018, 09:47:11 AM
While next year's lineup isn't particularly diverse (3 theropods and 1 ornithscian, pelycosaur, pterosaur and mammal), it certainly makes up for this by being one of the most consistently high-quality lineups CollectA has ever revealed. They also seem to have reduced their usage of the ugly green colour that was common last year to the already-weak Fukuiraptor (the Edaphosaurus' shade of green is a lot more pleasant to the eyes). Apart from the aforomentioned figure, this seems like it's going to be the first year since 2016 where Safari Ltd might have some serious competition with them in terms of best figure of the year.

You're forgetting 2017. The Supreme Dimorphodon was even voted Best Non-Dinosaur Figure of the Year by Prehistoric Times magazine.

Also, I'm really not understanding the hate-on for the Fukuiraptor. The colours work fine for a predatory dinosaur that probably inhabited forest regions and the reconstruction is in keeping with what we know so far about megaraptorans.

"Hate-on"? ???  I do agree with you that the colouration of the CollectA Fukuiraptor looks reasonable, but the CollectA Fukuiraptor is not entirely in keeping with what is known of megaraptorans.  In megaraptorans the first finger claw is the largest (based on Megaraptor and Australovenator), while in the CollectA Fukuiraptor it's the middle finger's that is largest.  I shared a set of skeletals that showed this before your post, but here it is again: https://www.deviantart.com/getawaytrike/art/Megaraptoran-series-703711797

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.