You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosauridae (Spinosaurus, Baryonyx, Suchomimus, Irritator, etc.)

Started by Sauropodlet, March 18, 2014, 01:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 14, 2019, 06:24:16 PM
I bought Mojo Baryonyx a month ago.
I never took pictures of it because I'm planning a repaint and a customization.
The original figure has a terrible paint job (mine even has an unpainted eye..  ::) ).
But the model is quite good with fine details.
Probably pictures above were taken by a cell phone or a tablet with a wide angle lens because the head is quite distorted in proportion.
It's not like that on naked eyes.
That's why I always say do not judge a figure by pictures..  ;)
I strongly suggest do not take pictures near a figure with a wide angle lens because of distortions..  :-\
On my thread I use a full frame camera with a "normal" lens ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_lens ).
:)

:-\ hmmm, but I take all of my photos with my trusted cell phone, I think it's just the angle.
I saw this figure in a craft store and didn't really care for it. I thought about getting it to repaint, but just can't get over the super large feet :)

RobinGoodfellow

Nowadays smartphone' cameras are quite good for many purpose.
But personally I would not use a phone for reference pictures..  ;)

Despite of that, Mojo Baryonyx has really large feet and warped legs; that's totally true.

That's why I will do a customization on the figure soon.

Silvanusaurus

Probably pictures above were taken by a cell phone or a tablet with a wide angle lens because the head is quite distorted in proportion.
I strongly suggest do not take pictures near a figure with a wide angle lens because of distortions..  :-\
On my thread I use a full frame camera with a "normal" lens ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_lens ).

Nope. I used a normal digital camera, I don't take photos on a phone. It's just the effect of perspective. There's no need to be so condescending.
Anyway I've got the figure in my hands, my eyes are naked and the head is very much anachronistically wide. In fact it's got the widest head out of all the Baryonyx in my collection, it's very similar to the awful 'Baryonyx' monster that appears in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 14, 2019, 09:56:19 PM

Nope. I used a normal digital camera, I don't take photos on a phone. It's just the effect of perspective. There's no need to be so condescending.
Anyway I've got the figure in my hands, my eyes are naked and the head is very much anachronistically wide. In fact it's got the widest head out of all the Baryonyx in my collection, it's very similar to the awful 'Baryonyx' monster that appears in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

I never said that the figure is perfect: on the contrary the figure has many weaknesses.
And I never said that your comments are wrong: yes, the head is "anachronistically wide"; that's true.
I was trying to say that "the effect of perspective" amplified flaws.
And I was trying to say that from an optical point of view.
Nothing more, nothing less.
So there's no need to be so rude.
Thanks.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 15, 2019, 06:32:12 AM

I never said that the figure is perfect: on the contrary the figure has many weaknesses.
And I never said that your comments are wrong: yes, the head is "anachronistically wide"; that's true.
Thanks.

I wasn't being rude Robin. I was offended by the condescending way you referred to my inferior photography, assuming I was just using a phone and implying that it wasn't up to your own standards, and I was responding by suggesting that it wasn't necessary to make that sort of comment.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 15, 2019, 10:58:28 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 15, 2019, 06:32:12 AM

Thanks.

I wasn't being rude Robin. I was offended by the condescending way you referred to my inferior photography, assuming I was just using a phone and implying that it wasn't up to your own standards, and I was responding by suggesting that it wasn't necessary to make that sort of comment.

I never said those things.
I think it's time to stop this conversation.
Regards

suspsy

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 14, 2019, 07:19:42 PM
I bought Mojo Baryonyx a month ago.
I never took pictures of it because I'm planning a repaint and a customization.
The original figure has a terrible paint job (mine even has an unpainted eye..  ::) ).
But the model is quite good with fine details.

:-\ hmmm, but I take all of my photos with my trusted cell phone, I think it's just the angle

Yep, I've been using a cellphone to take my review photos since the very beginning. Works great for me. Never had any problem with distortions whatsoever. I much prefer using my phone to take toy photos than any digital camera.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

RobinGoodfellow

(Sorry for my O.T. It will be my last one.)

Just to be clear: I have nothing against smartphone' cameras.
The modern smartphones have a great quality in pictures.
But all smartphones are equipped with wide angle lenses.
And wide angle lenses cause distortion on images.
It's not my opinion: it's the theory behind photography ( https://www.howtogeek.com/309826/what-is-a-wide-angle-lens/ ).
That's why I said that a "reference" picture should be taken by a camera with a "normal" lens and with a correct perspective.

That said, smartphone pictures can be really good (despite I would not recommend them to judge a three-dimensional figure).
I hope I was clear enough.
And I think that the best camera is the camera you're most familiar with..
Regards

(Again, sorry for my O.T.)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.