News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ammonite in Burmese amber (!!!)

Started by Halichoeres, May 14, 2019, 04:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

So we all know amber is fossilized tree resin. How on earth, then, do you get an ammonite stuck in it? The authors of this paper outline several scenarios, but the one they find likeliest is that this is from a tree growing close to a shoreline or beach, and that the resin flowed over a small patch of sand, containing this tiny ammonite (18 mm across) and some small marine snails. It was probably already dead, judging by the fact that its aperture was already damaged and contained crushed shell fragments. So even with this incredible preservation, we still don't know what its soft anatomy looked like.

The tropical-conifer-living-near-a-beach scenario seems pretty reasonable considering this block of amber also contains marine isopods, marine snail shells, millipedes, mites, a spider, a cockroach, beetles, and wasps. You can check out photos of all of them in the paper, which is open access in Proceedings of the National Academy: https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/05/09/1821292116
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

I got all excited to think we'd finally have a really good look at it outside of the shell, so a tad bit disappointing by it just being the shell. Then again that would probably be an unlikely scenario to begin with considering things (but who knows). So at least we have this, and I think this is the first time a shell is intact (I think), in a way, which is actually really fascinating in itself, aside from the fact it is a shell preserved within amber too, which I also think this is a first time discovery? Might not be, but surely for me anyways.

And I have to say that isopod looks really fascinating too, and definitely not something I'd ever think to see preserved in amber either (aside from this ammonite shell). Really glad that paper was open access, if to get a better look at those images.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ravonium

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 14, 2019, 04:09:08 AM
So we all know amber is fossilized tree resin. How on earth, then, do you get an ammonite stuck in it?

I have a theory; maybe the ammonite shell was actually in a lake, and it ended up flying out of it while two dinosaurs were hav...I think you know where this is going  ^-^ ;)  /s

In all seriousness, why are we getting lots of cool finds in this part of 2019? First, it was Callichimaera, then Ambopteryx and now this! I wonder what's going to be found next... ::)

Neosodon

Cool find but would have been so much better if it captured the soft parts. It must have been a disapointment but given the liklihood that the amber would have fallen on a freshly washed up ammonite on the beach it should be unsuprising.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ravonium on May 14, 2019, 09:31:16 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 14, 2019, 04:09:08 AM
So we all know amber is fossilized tree resin. How on earth, then, do you get an ammonite stuck in it?

I have a theory; maybe the ammonite shell was actually in a lake, and it ended up flying out of it while two dinosaurs were hav...I think you know where this is going  ^-^ ;)  /s

In all seriousness, why are we getting lots of cool finds in this part of 2019? First, it was Callichimaera, then Ambopteryx and now this! I wonder what's going to be found next... ::)

Good theory, although I think it's just as romantic if the dinosaurs were in the surf on the seashore.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.