You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Galagadon, a shark with teeth like spaceships

Started by Logo7, April 13, 2019, 04:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new genus of freshwater carpet shark has been described from twenty four teeth found in a group of microfossils that were buried in buckets of left over sediment from the excavation of Sue, the most complete Tyrannosaurus rex ever found, that were stored in the Field Museum. It has been given the name Galagadon nordquistae ("Nordquist's Galaga tooth"), with the genus name originating from the fact that its teeth resemble the spaceships in the video game Galaga and the Latin word "don," meaning "tooth," and the species name originating from Karen Nordquist, a volunteer who found the teeth in the sediment. Galagadon was about 12 to 18 inches in length and would have lived in the rivers and wetlands of South Dakota around 67 million years ago, eating small fish, snails, and crayfish. The presence of the teeth in the sediment that yielded Sue has also changed our perception of the environment of Late Cretaceous South Dakota. Sue was believed to have lived and died around a lake formed from an evaporating river, but now, thanks to Galagadon, it appears that the region had some sort of connection to the sea, allowing saltwater sharks to evolve into freshwater species. The new genus also helps to explain the evolution of carpet sharks, as it is a North American genus in a family that is typically found in Asia and Australia in the modern era. Here is a reconstruction of the new genus by artist Velizar Simeonovski of the Field Museum and an image of its spaceship-like teeth, as well as a link to the paper describing the new genus.

Paper (abstract only): https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/new-sharks-and-other-chondrichthyans-from-the-latest-maastrichtian-late-cretaceous-of-north-america/03C9F86EA8FE0C54C70BFB7783FC8AA2

CityRaptor

"That shark is playing Galaga! It thought we wouldn't notice, but we did."

It's quite interesting what can be found in the "left overs". I wonder if young Tyrannosaurus and similar sized Theropods ocassionally hunted those sharks.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BRONSON

Faelrin

Really interesting teeth it has there. I do love the fact they named it after Galaga (definitely one of my favorite retro games to play from time to time). The teeth sure do kind of look like some of the ships in that game oddly so. Anyways it is nice to learn of a "new" creature from that ecosystem.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

I almost posted this but I thought nobody would care! I'm so glad to see I was wrong :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.