You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The lower jaw of the ammonite Spathites

Started by Halichoeres, April 28, 2019, 11:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

The aptychus is a paired structure that has been known for a while to be associated with ammonites, although it's rare to have one preserved with the ammonite's shell, because aptychi are usually made of calcite, whereas shells are typically aragonite. They are both form of CaCO3, but most fossilizing environments will preserve one or the other, but not both. This paper describes one found in association with a shell, and interprets it as a lower jaw, rather than as an operculum or hood, which is the way aptychi are often depicted in art. Here's a reconstruction:

This would have sat well inside the shell aperture and functioned to process food. In that sense it's more analogous to a squid's beak than a nautilus hood, although squid beaks are composed mainly of chitin.

Paper is open access (at least in the US): http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/6935
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures