You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meeksiella, a new ptyctodont placoderm from the Devonian of Estonia and Russia

Started by Halichoeres, June 02, 2019, 05:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Ptyctodonts (not to be confused with pycnodonts) are a strange group of placoderms with reduced armor and a body plan similar to modern chimaeras, except instead of crushing teeth, they had crushing bony plates at the edges of their jaws. Some specimens from Estonia and Russia had been referred to Chelyophorus, but new specimens show that they represent a new genus, described here as Meeksiella pskovensis.

Here's a reconstruction of the head shield, the only major armor component that most ptyctodonts retained:

Lots more images in the paper, which is open access in Paleontologia Electronica: https://palaeo-electronica.org/content/2019/2490-a-new-baltic-ptyctodont
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures