You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New basal avialan from Kitadani with pygostyle (the genus name is predictable)

Started by Ravonium, November 14, 2019, 08:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Meet Fukuipteryx prima, a recently discovered Early Cretaceous avialan (or if you like, 'protobird') from the Kitadani Dinosaur Quarry (the same part of the formation as Fukuivenator). The specimen found had a pygostyle, which would mean that Fukuipteryx is the most basal avialan with this feature (although as the specimen is a subadult, it may prove to be more derived than intially suggested):

Paper (open access): https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-019-0639-4

Writeup in Smithsonian by Riley Black (of Laelaps fame): https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/newly-discovered-fossil-bird-fills-gap-between-dinosaurs-and-modern-fliers-180973551/

Halichoeres

Fwiw I would have predicted "Fukuiornis"  :))

Favorite Co mini Fukuipteryx incoming in 3...2...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Maybe next time. Seems like they want to make Fukui versions of all the possible name endings. Also waiting for Fukuicephale, Fukuiceratops, Fukuidon, Fukuidromeus, Fukuignathus, Fukuimimus, Fukuinykus, Fukuipelta, Fukuisaura, Fukuispondylus, Fukuisuchus, Fukuitholus, Fukuityrannus, and Fukuivenator.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Ravonium

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 17, 2019, 03:21:28 PM
Maybe next time. Seems like they want to make Fukui versions of all the possible name endings. Also waiting for Fukuicephale, Fukuiceratops, Fukuidon, Fukuidromeus, Fukuignathus, Fukuimimus, Fukuinykus, Fukuipelta, Fukuisaura, Fukuispondylus, Fukuisuchus, Fukuitholus, Fukuityrannus, and Fukuivenator.

That last one on your list already exists.

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 17, 2019, 03:05:34 PM
Favorite Co mini Fukuipteryx incoming in 3...2...

Was going to reply to this with 'It's too derived of a maniraptoran for them', but they have made every single other dinosaur taxon from the formation, so yeah, I can see them making a Fukuipteryx for completeness.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.