News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyto's Repaints & Customs

Started by Tyto_Theropod, July 04, 2014, 01:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyto_Theropod

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Thank you!  That is high praise indeed, especially considering that there was a lot of trial and error in this figure.  It was quite a earning curve and involved a lot of experimentation, back and forth with paint and more panicked attempts to remove mistakes before they dried on than I'd care to admit! :))  So I'm glad that the result is worth it in the eyes of other people, not just me.

avatar_Dinoxels @Dinoxels Thanks!  I really tried hard with this one.

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno You're welcome to, especially as bothered to ask first and make sure I was okay with it.  I really appreciate that.  It's also great to know that something I came up with goes on to inspire others.  I'd appreciate it if, when first posting images of your finished work, you let people know where you got the colour scheme from (so something like "I based the colours on avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod's repaint of the Wild Safari Gryposaurus").  Incidentally, is this for the same model or are you planning on adapting the colours for a different one?  Also bear in mind that we're probably using different products and our individual painting techniques and styles will be different, so what you do won't be identical.  Not that that's a problem - it's part of taking an idea and making it your own. ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

ceratopsian

Your Gryposaurus is very eye catching. Love his yellow display hooter!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Awesome Work. I love the Paintscheme. Looking forward to see more in the Future :)

Tyto_Theropod

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian and avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs Thanks! :)  I'm hoping to get some more repaints done over the next couple of months before the cold winter weather sets in, although I need to order some primer.  I was surprised to find that doing the Gryposaurus nearly used the whole can.  (Bad dinosaur!  Naughty dinosaur! :)))  I may have enough left for a small model, but yeah.  Anyway, watch this space!
______________________________________________________________________________________

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on September 04, 2020, 02:45:08 PM

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno You're welcome to, especially as bothered to ask first and make sure I was okay with it.  I really appreciate that.  It's also great to know that something I came up with goes on to inspire others.  I'd appreciate it if, when first posting images of your finished work, you let people know where you got the colour scheme from (so something like "I based the colours on avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod's repaint of the Wild Safari Gryposaurus").  Incidentally, is this for the same model or are you planning on adapting the colours for a different one?  Also bear in mind that we're probably using different products and our individual painting techniques and styles will be different, so what you do won't be identical.  Not that that's a problem - it's part of taking an idea and making it your own. ;)
haha i wish, the only safari figure i have is a rusty dunkleosteus, hahaha, ^-^ ;) :) :-\ :( :'(
Any ways i gonna make a animation file using this scheme, and maybe if im ever lucky enough to get a figure i will use it  ^-^

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Stegotyranno on September 04, 2020, 11:39:05 PM
Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on September 04, 2020, 02:45:08 PM

haha i wish, the only safari figure i have is a rusty dunkleosteus, hahaha, ^-^ ;) :) :-\ :( :'(
Any ways i gonna make a animation file using this scheme, and maybe if im ever lucky enough to get a figure i will use it  ^-^

In that case, if you distribute it, please credit me in an accompanying 'readme' file.

Halichoeres

Nice work. I like that you don't go too nuts with gradients. Animals often have severely demarcated blocks of color after all! The head gives me curassow vibes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Tyto_Theropod

Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres.  Taboo as I know it is to evoke mammals when restoring dinosaurs, I was actually picturing a Thomson's gazelle when I came up with the colour scheme for the sides.  And now you mention it, Gryposaurus's skull definitely has a curassow 'feel' about it, doesn't it?  Especially the razor-billed curassow, which I'm most familiar with having seen a lot of them on a Zooniverse wildlife ID project I volunteered on.  A good animal to evoke if I ever have the chance to paint a Kritosaurin again.  I guess that's a bit unlikely, though, given the paucity of Hadrosaurs that aren't Parasaurolophus.  But hey, we can dream! ;)

Jose S.M.

It's always a pleasure to see repainted figures, it kind of brings more life to them, since sometimes factory paint jobs are simple or could improve a lot. This Safari Gryposaurus is one of my all time favorite sculpts and your paint job makes it an eye catcher!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.