You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Dinosaur Farm, Pasadena: An Appreciation Post

Started by mgaguilar, August 14, 2018, 07:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Quote from: mgaguilar on August 25, 2018, 04:46:57 AM
avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji Are you sure there are none? Even in the Natural History Museum?

Unless I'm mistaken, the NHM doesn't have much in terms of dinosaur toys, apart from own brand stuff of varying degrees of accuracy, cheap junk, and for some reason the JWFK Thrash and Throw Rex (at least according to the gift shop's website).

ceratopsian

I live in London and visit the NHM periodically.  I can say with certainty that their stock of dinosaur toys is pretty appalling.  Mostly as Ravonium rightly says, cheap junk.  Their own line is well stocked but far from wonderful.  Every time I go I make a big point of visiting the shop and it's always a great disappointment.  Their stock of books isn't always great either, though that's quite variable from one visit to the next.

Quote from: Ravonium on August 25, 2018, 08:24:31 AM
Quote from: mgaguilar on August 25, 2018, 04:46:57 AM
avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji Are you sure there are none? Even in the Natural History Museum?

Unless I'm mistaken, the NHM doesn't have much in terms of dinosaur toys, apart from own brand stuff of varying degrees of accuracy, cheap junk, and for some reason the JWFK Thrash and Throw Rex (at least according to the gift shop's website).

Ravonium

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 25, 2018, 10:26:34 AM
I live in London and visit the NHM periodically.  I can say with certainty that their stock of dinosaur toys is pretty appalling.  Mostly as Ravonium rightly says, cheap junk.  Their own line is well stocked but far from wonderful.  Every time I go I make a big point of visiting the shop and it's always a great disappointment.  Their stock of books isn't always great either, though that's quite variable from one visit to the next.

Thanks for confirming what I said (I haven't visited the NHM in 5 years). I think the saddest thing about this is that the NHM, being pretty much the only large museum in the UK that specializes in biology, should, in an ideal world, be the ones in the UK promoting and heralding good dinosaur toys.

Macanoco

Message us at stylistM @Macanoco.com and we can get you a quote for product plush shipping.

We have a huge Papo re-stock coming in. Mention Dino Toy Blog and you get 20% off order.

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on August 14, 2018, 09:07:09 AM
How much is he selling a papo ceratosaurus For? Any discounts? Would love to have a store like that near me. All I have for local papos is the annual Jurassic quest convention every year

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Macanoco on August 28, 2018, 06:51:14 PM
Message us at stylistM @Macanoco.com and we can get you a quote for product plush shipping.

We have a huge Papo re-stock coming in. Mention Dino Toy Blog and you get 20% off order.

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on August 14, 2018, 09:07:09 AM
How much is he selling a papo ceratosaurus For? Any discounts? Would love to have a store like that near me. All I have for local papos is the annual Jurassic quest convention every year

Warning for breaking "Forum Rule 2. ...restrict unsolicited self-promotional content to the Classifieds section". Feel free to promote yourself in the classifieds section, but not in other areas of the forum. Thanks for obliging. C:-)

mgaguilar

Updated.

Nothing too special. Picked up the CollectA Spinosaurus and the Papo Quetzalcoatlus.

Seems like Breyer Ponies is the distributor for CollectA for local sellers now in the US.
The figures came with both a CollectA and a Breyer Ponies tag. Guess the US won't be embargo'd from new CollectA in the future, seeing as Dave will be getting the Ceratosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus in soon.

mgaguilar

It's been too long since we've had an update.
They have had a ton of the 2019 releases come in now, and very excited to pick them up!
Also, finally got around to the late-2018 Collecta semi-feathered rex.

Shonisaurus

avatar_mgaguilar @mgaguilar I congratulate you on your two beautiful acquisitions, the feathered tyrannosaurus of Collecta 2018 is another beautiful figure and I understand that it is unfairly undervalued by collectors.

Loon

Do they stock CollectA? If they get the new stuff, I might stop by.

mgaguilar

Quote from: Loon on March 01, 2019, 09:23:37 AM
Do they stock CollectA? If they get the new stuff, I might stop by.

avatar_Loon @Loon Yes they do! But I would call ahead of time to see when they are expecting their shipment for CollectA to come in so the trip will not be for naught.
They get pretty emptied out if they haven't gotten a shipment in awhile.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus thanks!

mgaguilar

Hey guys, it's been awhile.
The Dinosaur Farm must be doing well, because they recently got some new shelves for their dinosaurs!
There is now a Breyer brand shelf and also a Papo led-backlit shelf!

Also, as everyone is finding out, the Papo Gorgosaurus is TINY. After buying it, good sculpt, but not worth the money IMHO.

PhilSauria

I won't be buying the Gogosaurus, nicely detailed figure that it is - not just because it's a bit on the small size but because it is listed by one of the local retailers at only a few dollars less than the Acrocanth - a figure nearly three times the size!

Syndicate Bias

I'll buy it anyways. I have a soft spot for papo.

Ravonium

Just like everyone else here, I fully remember how shocked I was at its small size when I saw the Gorgo physically for the first time. (about a month ago)

It's not a bad sculpt by any means, but it is too small for my collecting preferences.

Halichoeres

Quote from: mgaguilar on September 13, 2019, 10:17:14 PM
Hey guys, it's been awhile.
The Dinosaur Farm must be doing well, because they recently got some new shelves for their dinosaurs!
There is now a Breyer brand shelf and also a Papo led-backlit shelf!

If I had to bet, I would wager that Dinosaur Farm didn't buy that shelving. I've seen an identical (or nearly so) unit at a toy store in Chicago, with the same Papo branding. I'd guess that Papo furnishes those to retailers that order some minimum quantity of merchandise, which means that every time anyone buys a Papo figure, we're helping to pay for that shelving unit. (Safari and CollectA do the same thing, of course.)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Definitely gonna stop by sometime at the beginning of next year. Hopefully by then, my current medical issues are over and I can enjoy the experience.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.