You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A mostly complete stegosaur with skin from Cretaceous north China (and a ceratopsian)

Started by Faelrin, February 05, 2024, 05:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on February 07, 2024, 10:18:57 PMavatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro A good possibility even if very rare. I mean there is that 2 headed polycephalic Hyphalosaurus specimen. All the more reason we need to wait for a publication or perhaps even more specimens to clear this up. I hope they give it a fun name since of its unique condition.
There's Nedoceratops and Tatankaceratops too, which might both be Triceratops specimens with a growth disorder.  I dislike Nedoceratops's name, so I can't say I'm keen on a repeat of that with this stegosaurian...

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim An alternative name could be something making note of its huge thagomizers.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Samrukia

Quote from: Sim on February 07, 2024, 10:31:35 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on February 07, 2024, 10:18:57 PMavatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro A good possibility even if very rare. I mean there is that 2 headed polycephalic Hyphalosaurus specimen. All the more reason we need to wait for a publication or perhaps even more specimens to clear this up. I hope they give it a fun name since of its unique condition.
There's Nedoceratops and Tatankaceratops too, which might both be Triceratops specimens with a growth disorder.  I dislike Nedoceratops's name, so I can't say I'm keen on a repeat of that with this stegosaurian...

Nedoceratops name makes fun sense to Russian speakers 😁

The "nedo" is the Russian prefix meaning "insufficient". It's something like if it was named Almostceratops

DinoToyForum

Halichoeres

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 06, 2024, 05:06:53 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 06, 2024, 03:35:14 PMHypothesis: dromaeosaurs pulled all the other plates off to use as frisbees.

And Compsognathus took the small ones for surf boards?

By far the most parsimonious explanation!

avatar_Samrukia @Samrukia that's the meaning in Greek, interesting to see it preserved in Russian!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Are you sure that Nedo comes from the Greek, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres?  It was named by Ukrainsky in the 2000s and my understanding is that it's a Russian prefix. Certainly doesn't strike me as Greek.

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 08, 2024, 04:53:36 PMAre you sure that Nedo comes from the Greek, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres?  It was named by Ukrainsky in the 2000s and my understanding is that it's a Russian prefix. Certainly doesn't strike me as Greek.
Ha ha, no I'm wildly wrong, thank you for pointing it out. I remembered having read that the meaning was something like 'insufficient horned face,' and because the rest of the name is Greek (as so many dinosaur names are) I assumed all of it was, which is obviously foolish. I had no recollection at all of who coined the name.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

The one plate thing is really odd.  But you'd think there would at least be one impression of one other plate somewhere if they had been present in life.  Buy, maybe the animal died, started to decompose,  all the plates but one falling off and then a current of some kind came along and swept the other plates away, but before the final one fell off the animal was covered in sediment and the final plate preserved?  Perhaps detailed inspection of the remains will shed further light on the possibility of more plates being present.

Difficult to believe the species evolved to have only one......but there are a lot of oddball dinosaurs.

Leyster

Quote from: Faelrin on February 07, 2024, 10:18:57 PML @Leyster What episode was this from? I totally forgot about that lol.
Idk, when it came out a friend linked to me that scene.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Funk

Quote from: Sim on February 06, 2024, 01:27:52 AMI would be surprised if the stegosaurian had only one plate in life.  What about if it died in water, and the current dislodged most of the plates?

I also notice this stegosaurian's plate looks like the plates of Wuerhosaurus which were claimed to be broken.  To me it seems more likely the plates of Wuerhosaurus aren't broken, which could be supported by this new stegosaurian.
Looks like it isn't fully prepared, that single plate is in a lower level than the surrounding rock, which indicates others could be below too.