News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DinoToyTierlist

Started by Stegotyranno420, September 01, 2020, 06:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Halichoeres

Nice of someone to make that template. Mine would look a little different with the inclusion of some other brands, however. Anyway, here's an opinion that will make some people mad:

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

SidB

If Safari is going to persist in producing a featherless T-rex, and I think that it is inevitable, they really, really need to replace that old figure.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SidB on September 08, 2020, 01:45:58 PM
If Safari is going to persist in producing a featherless T-rex, and I think that it is inevitable, they really, really need to replace that old figure.

That figure has almost officially surpassed all the old Carnegies for longest-in-production Safari design. The green Carnegie rex was produced basically unchanged from 1993-2025. This one has been repainted a few times, but has lasted from 1996-2020 and counting. Only the Carnegie Triceratops currently beats it, having the same design in production for 27 years (1988-2015). Hopefully Safari retires that rex soon.

SidB

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 08, 2020, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 08, 2020, 01:45:58 PM

That figure has almost officially surpassed all the old Carnegies for longest-in-production Safari design. The green Carnegie rex was produced basically unchanged from 1993-2025. This one has been repainted a few times, but has lasted from 1996-2020 and counting. Only the Carnegie Triceratops currently beats it, having the same design in production for 27 years (1988-2015). Hopefully Safari retires that rex soon.
Well. I guess that's a variation on the adage that "nothing succeeds like success,; but clearly, this figure has pretty much exhausted its welcome here, though no doubt scores of parents and some retailers will continue to buy and sell it for the time being. There is power in sheer momentum allied to inertia.

Loon

Jesus, that Triceratops was around for nearly 3 decades?!?!? Even if they stop making the '96 Tyrannosaurus, I guarantee you, I'm probably gonna die before that original Wild Safari Velociraptor retires.

Gwangi

It's a rainy day so I figured I would play along.

Halichoeres

If you look at it as a sideways histogram, yours is a lot more symmetric and normal (in the statistical sense) than mine. Maybe I hold my opinions too vehemently!

Here's a twist on the concept: the brand tier list, based on how many figures they contribute to my collection. α tier is >70 figures; β is 20-70; γ is 5-19; δ is <5

(In case you can't read them, the γ companies are Creative Beast, Bullyland, Takara Tomy, Planeta DeAgostini, Schleich, TST Advance, Starlux, Geoworld, Battat, Play Visions, Papo, the Dawn of the Dinosaurs set whose maker is unknown, Mattel, Diramix, Happy Kin, and Artificial Animals).

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

They have not included Rebor, Nanmu, itoy,; Kaiyodo and W-Dragon among other brands of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals.

grantharding

Mellow Stego

Who would put Safari's Stegosaurus in the "bad" section! *Flips table*

I'm kidding of course. People having differing opinions when it comes to collecting is part of the fun of collecting.

I might do a list too. 
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Libraraptor

Tastes are different. I´d change the Stego and the Edapho and be okay with it.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: grantharding on October 06, 2020, 06:00:07 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 04, 2020, 01:44:18 PM
Here's my take...

What don't you like about the Citipati?

The sculpt isn't really my favorite, I think the pose feels stiff and the feathering feels off to me. It's a lot less bird-like than the recent dromaeosaurs when it should be a lot more bird-like in overall appearance. And I honestly can't stand the patchwork of bright primary colors. Citipati is one of my favorite dinosaurs but this just doesn't work for me. I'd have preferred something more along the lines of this:
https://www.deviantart.com/mattmart/art/Ukhaa-Tolgod-Avifauna-204897537

Or this:
https://images.app.goo.gl/iLTGCfPbfSMozWSCA

Or this:
https://images.app.goo.gl/VGJxu5bQUwNBorWt9

It's basically all the problems I have with the Safari Anzu, but worse.

grantharding

Not very shell-like, I suppose.

By the way, if you're who I think you are, I have your field guide and I love it.

Digibasherx

For me, I was not sold on half of 2018 and 2019 Safari line, until I had a chance to see and handle them in person, and now I own a good number of them.  I think the stock photos don't do the sculpt justice.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: grantharding on October 09, 2020, 12:30:38 AM
Not very shell-like, I suppose.

Not even that, the feathering just feels a little schematic. I think a shaggier interpretation is just fine, but I'd prefer if we got something that could stand next to Safari's ratites and seem to fit in. And I should say this is not a knock on the sculptor. Most of my top tiers are filled in by Doug's sculpts. He's one of the best working right now, by far. In fact I have heavily criticized others for what I think are over-reactions to perfectly good figures (*cough*Carnotaurus*cough*). This one is just a miss for me.

By the way, if you're who I think you are, I have your field guide and I love it.

:-X  ^-^

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno on September 01, 2020, 06:22:59 AM
So i was going around the web when i saw this place where you can make your own tier lists. NOTE THESE ARE MY OPINION
Heres one for Papo figures in general

And heres one for 2019 figures

These are organized by size, sculpt and accuraccy. I didn't make the list, i just ranked them, so don't expect every figure. Also i was in a rush, so some figures are misplaced
that's a serious papo bias lmao
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.