News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

DTF Papo Reference Thread was updated just a second ago with ALL the new figures ( http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7287.0 ).
^-^

SidB

Quote from: Duna on June 19, 2021, 09:16:12 PM
I bought my first Papos in 2006, and I still have them. They will always have a special place in my collection because their detail was superb, at that time there were few figures so detailed, though inaccurate.

And above all, there is the standing Tyrannosaurus. It's the most iconic dinosaur Toy and I think it will never be dethroned. I see it everywhere, even in leaflets from actual dino exhibitions, books ... It's still a master piece of detail.
I owned only the green standing version (I always thought the running one was too skinny) and I recently decided to add more members to the family before they become rare.

When I had them in hand I realised (I wasn't aware of that before) that the brown and green rexes have quite different head sculpts. The rest of the body is identical.

In the brown version, there is a second row of scutes going from the eye, the snout is more squared, there are bigger scutes in some parts, the teeth are more pointed, but the most noticeable difference is the lower jaw. In the green version is deeper. I think they do very nice as a pair.
This is a fascinating look at an oldish classic. I have both, but it's been a long time since I've had them out of storage .I had noticed, of course, the change of color and the sharper teeth on the brown version, but had never noted that the head is indeed a new sculpt, grafted onto the standard productiion body. Thanks for bringing this to light.

Duna

Quote from: SidB on June 21, 2021, 05:18:37 AM
This is a fascinating look at an oldish classic. I have both, but it's been a long time since I've had them out of storage .I had noticed, of course, the change of color and the sharper teeth on the brown version, but had never noted that the head is indeed a new sculpt, grafted onto the standard productiion body. Thanks for bringing this to light.
And teeth are even sharper on the lower jaw, they look very nice. It's an improvement to the first green version. I'm very happy to have them both since the sculpts are different and use them as a pair ...

SidB

I'm finding this thread more and more interesting, surprisingly since I started collecting PNSO dinosaurs in earnest. This is because the high level of detail and complex coloration of the Papos allows me to effectively display them in my shelf dioramas among the PNSOs. I'm in the process of tweeking/ modifying the Papos, where appropriate, to correct some of the most obvious errors. I'm showing these updated ones on my repaint thread and will soon include several new updates. It's fun to "fix" the oldies, where possible, rather than disgarding them.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Duna on June 19, 2021, 09:16:12 PM
I bought my first Papos in 2006, and I still have them. They will always have a special place in my collection because their detail was superb, at that time there were few figures so detailed, though inaccurate.

And above all, there is the standing Tyrannosaurus. It's the most iconic dinosaur Toy and I think it will never be dethroned. I see it everywhere, even in leaflets from actual dino exhibitions, books ... It's still a master piece of detail.
I owned only the green standing version (I always thought the running one was too skinny) and I recently decided to add more members to the family before they become rare.

When I had them in hand I realised (I wasn't aware of that before) that the brown and green rexes have quite different head sculpts. The rest of the body is identical.

In the brown version, there is a second row of scutes going from the eye, the snout is more squared, there are bigger scutes in some parts, the teeth are more pointed, but the most noticeable difference is the lower jaw. In the green version is deeper. I think they do very nice as a pair.
Oh, wow. The green one looks a lot more TLW-y
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

pako

Hey,

What is to your opinion the rarest Papo today ?

I've seen the rainbow sitting t-rex going for bananas recently on ebay...
On the other hand I have the first version of the brown running t-rex which was going for hundreds years ago, not sure it's still does with the new version...

CityRaptor

In my opinion, it is not worth it just for a different paint job.

Rarest Papo? Probably one of those with a short run. For example the first Acrocanthosaurus. 

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 19, 2021, 09:43:19 PM
Is there a comprehensive list of all Paposaurs available out there? I ask because this is one of three dinosaur lines that I'd like to complete sometime this year.

Ah, I remember how you always were against Papo some years ago.

My current Papo line up:
Tyrannosaurus Sitting Green
Tyrannosaurus Baby Brown
Triceratops
Styracosaurus
Pachyrhinosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Velociraptor 1st version ( JP colors )

Formerly in line up:
Pteranodon
Velociraptor 2nd version ( JPIII colors )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lynx

I'm thinking of buying the Papo stygimoloch for my younger sister. Have you all had any problems with this figure? Is it alright for younger children and rough play, or is it a display piece?
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

Quote from: Lynx on September 21, 2021, 12:15:51 PM
I'm thinking of buying the Papo stygimoloch for my younger sister. Have you all had any problems with this figure? Is it alright for younger children and rough play, or is it a display piece?

I've seen it in person. I think it would be fine.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Duna

The rarest Papo now is the exclusive Rainbow-Purple standing tyrannosaurus. The running purple version is more common and quite easy to find and still cheap in second hand markets. The Purple velociraptor that came with it in the exclusive edition can be bought appart even now.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on September 21, 2021, 12:15:51 PM
I have one and am quite pleased with it. It can be used both ways, to answer your second question. I display mine with the older Papo Pachycephalosaurus and the current PNSO one, where, slight scale differences aside, it fits in quite nicely.

Shonisaurus

The rarest in my opinion is the rainbow version of the acrocanthosaurus. It was only in sales in a year. They were replaced the following year by the new version with more realistic paint from my point of view.

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 22, 2021, 08:29:10 AM
The rarest in my opinion is the rainbow version of the acrocanthosaurus. It was only in sales in a year. They were replaced the following year by the new version with more realistic paint from my point of view.
That could well be, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , I vaguely recollect it appearing, then disappearing rather quickly in the advertisements and brick and mortar stores, before being replaced. Mustn't have moved well as a sales item.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: pako on September 21, 2021, 09:07:42 AM
Hey,

On the other hand I have the first version of the brown running t-rex which was going for hundreds years ago, not sure it's still does with the new version...
Really? I got that Rainbow Rex from Toys r Us a few years ago
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Abobo

Hello can anyone tell me what is the scale of the Papo Acrocanthosaurus please?
thank you in advance:)

Duna

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 26, 2021, 12:27:28 PM
Quote from: pako on September 21, 2021, 09:07:42 AM
Hey,

Really? I got that Rainbow Rex from Toys r Us a few years ago
Yes, it was a Toys R Us exclusive. So perfectly normal to found that there, but nowhere else. That's why it's so rare. The running version is more common to find (about 30-60€).

AS avatar_pako @pako has said, the only two purple standing rexes I have seen recently on sale went for 100 and 150€ respectively and sold pretty quickly.  :o So it's reasonable to think they will go pretty much expensive and probably dethrone the brown special edition as the most expensive Papo figure.
The problem with the special brown running edition is that Papo released it as a standard figure that it's so alike the limited edition one, that there is very little interest now in the former.

I myself got the Papo Rainbow rex recently thanks to a trade, so now I have all the standing figures. I can't understand why it was a limited edition, the paint scheme is beautiful. The grey overall colour is a perfect choice, as well as the darker extremities.
In my opinion, the best sculpt is the green version because of the rounder head with a larger lower jaw. If only it had the sharp teeth the brown and rainbow versions have, it would be perfect. I think the Papo rex it's the most iconic modern dinosaur figure. Though outdated, you just can't stop looking at it and admiring its details.

Fembrogon

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.