News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How tough was Stegosaurus really?

Started by Stegotyranno420, October 21, 2020, 04:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Stegosaurus is my favorite dinosaur. As a kid, i thought it was a powerful beast. It was able to hook gigantic allosaurs, and wrestle ceratosaurs to the ground, and break and slice the skulls and legs of megalosaurs. Is the true. Or is stegosaurus the absoulute brainless weakling R/Ankmemes says it is.

Also, if you got some kind of biased/innacurate propoganda or a joke respone, please leave

EDIT: no it wasnt just reddit, it was the whole internet

John

I hate to admit this since Ceratosaurus is my favorite,but a healthy adult Stegosaurus stenops at around 21 feet long would have been too much for it or even Allosaurus or Torvosaurus to take on.Things would have been even worse for the predators against the 30 foot S, ungulatus... :o :))

In short,"absolute brainless weakling" is not how I would ever describe Stegosaurus... :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 21, 2020, 04:38:52 PM
Stegosaurus is my favorite dinosaur. As a kid, i thought it was a powerful beast. It was able to hook gigantic allosaurs, and wrestle ceratosaurs to the ground, and break and slice the skulls and legs of megalosaurs. Is the true. Or is stegosaurus the absoulute brainless weakling R/Ankmemes says it is.

Real animals are far more nuanced than that. An elephant could absolutely demolish a lion, but one would rarely think of it as a savage death-machine. Most predators probably avoided stegosaurs, since even a minor slash could easily turn lethal due to infections.

Also, the less time one spends on reddit, the better.

Sim

An adult Stegosaurus would have been dangerous.  It's known a stegosaur caused the death of an allosaur: https://phys.org/news/2014-10-kung-fu-stegosaur.html

Stegotyranno420

thats great to hear, but when compared to say triceratops and ankylosaurus, everyone then says it will easily lose to either one. But i seriously doubt it. Stegosaurus is built of like a small necked ornithopod/sauropod hybrid, with spines(i couldnt find a better explaination)

Halichoeres

If I were trying to domesticate a dinosaur, it wouldn't be my first choice.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 21, 2020, 07:14:46 PM
well that opens a new discussion, what dinosaur should/can be domesticated

Brocc21

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 21, 2020, 04:38:52 PMOr is stegosaurus the absoulute brainless weakling R/Ankmemes says it is.

Word of advice. Never take something said on a meme subreddit seriously. Or never take anything on reddit seriously.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 22, 2020, 09:46:18 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 21, 2020, 07:14:46 PM
well that opens a new discussion, what dinosaur should/can be domesticated
Ironically, Tyrannosaurs may have been one of the best candidates realistically, Albertosaurines in particular. Their extremely large newborns (based on bones from unborn embryos, no preserved eggs known) indicate they put a lot of energy into individual young and so probably raised them closely for years. Coupled with the evidence of play behaviour in Tyrannosaurus, and they may have been a lot more social than traditionally assumed.

Raphus/dodo would be my second bet, given how well other pigeons have done in captivity.

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

CityRaptor

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 23, 2020, 05:00:21 AM
Ironically, Tyrannosaurs may have been one of the best candidates realistically, Albertosaurines in particular. Their extremely large newborns (based on bones from unborn embryos, no preserved eggs known) indicate they put a lot of energy into individual young and so probably raised them closely for years. Coupled with the evidence of play behaviour in Tyrannosaurus, and they may have been a lot more social than traditionally assumed.

Actually thought of that scenario myself. Although I came to the conclusion that the domesticated version would probably still not be considered a pet, being rather used to guard and protect herds and important stuff since obviously an animal of that size would require a lot of food and space to roam. And may play rough. Okay, some rich folks would keep them as pets, but the general population not so much.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Newt

If your Stegosaurus is too tough, you need to reduce the heat and increase the cooking time. Remember, "low and slow" with indirect heat is the key to moist, tender, fall-off-the-thagomizer Stegosaurus!

Wait, what are we talking about?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Newt on October 23, 2020, 11:33:03 PM
If your Stegosaurus is too tough, you need to reduce the heat and increase the cooking time. Remember, "low and slow" with indirect heat is the key to moist, tender, fall-off-the-thagomizer Stegosaurus!

I have no idea

Spoiler
I originally asked how powerful was stegosaurus in terms of fighting and endurance, since lots of folks on the internet were saying things like "stegosaurus doesnt stand a chance against ankylosaurus or triceratops, which i doubted. Then Haliocheres said that stegosaurus would be a dinosaur he wouldn' t try to domesticate, which opened up the question of what dinosaurs should/can be domesticated
[close]

stargatedalek

While very capable, Stegosaurus was notably smaller than Triceratops (prorsus anyway), and also less built for intraspecific combat. Triceratops was not only a bulkier animal, but one adapted to fight other herbivores, while Stegosaurus was likely more reliant on using its displays to intimidate potential threats and was equipped with weaponry to deter predators, not overpower rivals in an all out brawl. And Ankylosaurus is kind of cheating to pit against another herbivore, since it's specialized armor gives it an unfair advantage in these unrealistic death battle scenarios.

Meaning ultimately, yes, I would concur Stegosaurus would loose a fight to Triceratops or Ankylosaurus. However I would also expect Stegosaurus to prove more likely to survive an encounter with a greater range of predators, given the versatility the highly mobile tail offers.

ITdactyl

Wait, you were taking a meme subreddit's opinion on possible paleoecology/behavior of stegosaurus seriously?  This is not an insult though. I can see a lot of threads there with a "which is better, stegosaurus or ankylosaurus" theme. I hope those "debates" lead to those redditors looking for better information.

Admittedly I like threads like these, because they make me wonder how real intraspecific dinosaur interactions actually went.  We have a glut of pop culture depictions of dinosaur fights that the general public seem to take as gospel. The perpetually charging triceratops. Sauropods wielding their tails with an aim that rivals a human whipcracker. Theropods that know how to break necks and spines. And of course, ankylosaurs and stegosaurs that brandish their tails like human martial artists/weapon masters.
But considering the sheer number of reddit threads, yahoo answers, google querries etc. about this subject, I guess we really like ranking animals.

Quote from: PumperKrickel on October 21, 2020, 05:55:10 PM
Real animals are far more nuanced than that. An elephant could absolutely demolish a lion, but one would rarely think of it as a savage death-machine.
African and South asian citizens  who live with elephants would probably disagree with this statement. Same for those unlucky buffalo, hippo, rhino, domestic cattle, donkeys that didn't move away quickly enough when a matriarchal herd arrived at a watering hole... or unluckily encountered a bull in musth.  I do get the point though, elephants are extremely dangerous - but they do not actively seek to kill other herbivores or humans.

I rambled. Sorry.
I wonder if future research will be able to tell if stegosaurus was hyper-aggressive; lashing its tail at every perceived threat... or if it was a passive herbivore; only swinging its thagomizer as a last resort.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl No it wasnt just reddit, it was pretty much the whole internet

and also as a boy who once interacted with elephants, and comes from a country where the majority of folks repsect/worship elephants, they are like that one peacful guy who protects everyone, but when he is mad, he will beat the living crap fecal matter out of you.

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  so basically you are saying that its like a rock-paper-scissors cycle(not perfectly). Rock is triceratops, paper is Large theropods, and scissors is stegosaurus, as based on their game counterparts, have a higher likelyness (for example a t rex is more likely to lose to a stegosaurus than a triceratops)

also i heard that stegosaurus, even without armour, was extremley muscular. Is this true?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 24, 2020, 06:42:22 PM
avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  so basically you are saying that its like a rock-paper-scissors cycle(not perfectly). Rock is triceratops, paper is Large theropods, and scissors is stegosaurus, as based on their game counterparts, have a higher likelyness (for example a t rex is more likely to lose to a stegosaurus than a triceratops)
Essentially.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on October 23, 2020, 11:33:03 PM

Personally I prefer the stegosaur brisket. I find that, while the thagomizer looks cool, it's a lot of effort for the amount of meat you get.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 25, 2020, 04:10:47 PM
Personally I prefer the stegosaur brisket. I find that, while the thagomizer looks cool, it's a lot of effort for the amount of meat you get.

Where I come from, we use every part of the stegosaur but the grunt. Besides, the thagomizer really absorbs a lot of that classic Neocalamites-smoke flavor.

WarrenJB

Personally, I'd think a discussion measuring any animal's worth by 'how good it beats up them other animals' can be safely ignored, Reddit or no.

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 23, 2020, 05:00:21 AMIronically, Tyrannosaurs may have been one of the best candidates realistically, Albertosaurines in particular. Their extremely large newborns (based on bones from unborn embryos, no preserved eggs known) indicate they put a lot of energy into individual young and so probably raised them closely for years. Coupled with the evidence of play behaviour in Tyrannosaurus, and they may have been a lot more social than traditionally assumed.

When it comes to predators I'd veer in favour of those that could be physically subdued by a single human, at adult size, if needs be. Wolf sized is plenty, thank you.

How much meat would you get on a rhabdodont?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: