News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kit survey

Started by Jodee, October 11, 2012, 08:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jodee

Greetings everybody,

I have a request for those who wish to participate.

If a natural history range of 1/48 scale dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals was to be produced and the first release would consist of five dinosaurs and five prehistoric mega-mammals what would your choices be?  What 10 species in your opinions would be the best start for a launch?

Best regards,

Jodee

amargasaurus cazaui

Giraffatitan, carnotaurus, oviraptor,  Parasaurolophus, chasmosaurus

Wolly mammoth, smilodon, brontotherium, glyptodon, megatherium
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

I believe the first wave should get the common ones done and over with

T-Rex(duh), Girafatitan, Galamimus, Ankylosaurus, Spinosaurus,

Smilodon, Megatherium, Whooly Mamoth, Megacerops, Basilosaurus,

tyrantqueen

Dinosaurs- I'm going to go with something different rather than the usual ones. This is what I would personally make.
1. Torvosaurus
2. Pentaceratops
3. Shunosaurus
4. Baryonyx
5. Hadrosaurus

:)

But then again, it might be a better idea to just pick 5 of the well known dinos (Rex, Apatosaurus, Stegosaurus, etc) if you want to play it safe.

As for mammals, I have no interest (or enough knowledge) to contribute there so I will let other members fill in.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on October 11, 2012, 04:20:16 PM
I believe the first wave should get the common ones done and over with

T-Rex(duh), Girafatitan, Galamimus, Ankylosaurus, Spinosaurus, Apatoesaurus, Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Velociraptor, Thirzinosaurus, Pachycephalsaurus

Smilodon, Megatherium, Whooly Mamoth, Megacerops, Basilosaurus, Glyptodon, Entelodon, Australopicticus, Darwineus(missing link). Whooly Rhino
I thought the stated terms were five dinosaurs and five mammals....not ten or more?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Jodee

ihatefeathers144

1. T-rex
2. Triceratops
3. Allosaurus
4. Stegosaurus
5. Apatosaurus

1.Wooly Mammoth
2. Indricotherium
3. Brontotherium
4. Deinotherium
5. Megatherium

ataraxus

1. Olorotitan
2. Brachiosaurus
3. Carnotaurus
4. Ceratosaurus
5. Styracosaurus

1. Deinotherium
2. Gomphotherium
3. Ursus Spelaeus
4. Moeritherium
5. Glyptodon

non dinosaurs:

1. Scutosaurus
2. Placerias
3. Lystrosaurus
4. Deinosuchus
5. Gorgonopsid

and a Titanoboa 1:1   ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just to mention it since this project sounds similar.  Malcolm aka Dinonikes , actually did an on-going series of 1/40 scale pieces in his Faunacasts line. They are available pre-painted or un-painted soild pieces...not exactly kits..but close enough.  You can check out his thread to see what species he chose as his first as well. You may get some tips as to how to proceed with your own endeavor Jodee. :)

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

Hello

As for Dino's

Trex
Triceratops
Brachiosaurus
Stegosaurus
Pteradon

As for Mammals

Wooly Mammoth
Elasmotherium
Platybelodon
Arsinotherium
Brontotherium

Martien
The Return Of The Mammoth's

radman

I guess it depends upon the market you're looking for but if you want to generate interest in your line with longtime collectors, the LAST thing I would recommend is making the same old  models that everyone makes; i.e., any kind of tyrannosaur, Triceratops, mammoth, Smilodon, etc.
I have all of those I'll ever need and am unlikely to ever get another unless it's really spectacular or unusual in some way.
My recommendations:

Andrewsarchus (in an action pose)
Hyaenodon
Moropus or other chalicothere
Platybelodon or other shovel-tusker
Short-face bear

Avimimus
Othnielia
Troodon
Shunosaurus/Omeisaurus, or other tailclub sauropod
Ornitholestes

Anyway, best of luck with your endeavor!

ZoPteryx

1. Utahraptor
2. Chasmosaurus
3. Shunosaurus
4. Sauropelta
5. Majungasaurus

1. Basilosaurus
2. Sarkastodon
3. Sivatherium
4. Chalicotherium
5. Ambulocetus

No non-dinos/mammals? ???

Patrx

Sadly, most of my favorite dinosaurs are too small to work well at a 1/48 scale, but all throw out some genera anyhow.

Dinosaurs
Coahuillaceratops
Achillobator
Tarbosaurus
Spinophorosaurus
Huayangosaurus

Mammals
Colombian Mammoth
Teleoceras
Smilodon
Ambulocetus

Jodee

Pixelboy,

Why do you think certain genera would not work well in 1/48 scale?  I am curious to learn your thoughts.

Jodee

alexeratops

I know i'm not pixelboy, but i think that, for insatance, that if he did a compy in 1:48 scale it would be extremely small!
like a bantha!

Blade-of-the-Moon

You might get some to work out like CollectA has with their family pieces.  Creating them on computer and printing them like with Shapeways would be a much easier way of doing those really small pieces I would think.

Patrx

Alexaceratops has more or less clarified my concern with the smaller genera. Little dinosaurs like, say Troodon or Psittacosauruswould end up pretty tiny on that scale - enough so that the details would be difficult to really appreciate properly. That's the main reason I don't generally bother with any consistent scale in my collection.

radman

Quote from: radman on October 12, 2012, 07:01:16 PM
I guess it depends upon the market you're looking for but if you want to generate interest in your line with longtime collectors, the LAST thing I would recommend is making the same old  models that everyone makes; i.e., any kind of tyrannosaur, Triceratops, mammoth, Smilodon, etc.
I have all of those I'll ever need and am unlikely to ever get another unless it's really spectacular or unusual in some way.
My recommendations:

Andrewsarchus (in an action pose)
Hyaenodon
Moropus or other chalicothere
Platybelodon or other shovel-tusker
Short-face bear

Avimimus
Othnielia
Troodon
Shunosaurus/Omeisaurus, or other tailclub sauropod
Ornitholestes

Anyway, best of luck with your endeavor!

Oops, I had forgotten this was to be in 1:48, so yeah some of my suggestions would be too small to be practical.  My revised list:

Shunosaurus
Astrodon
Segnosaurus
Saurophaganax
Shantungosaurus
^-^

Ikessauro

I would recommend doing:

1 - Irritator/Angaturama ::)
2 - Dicraeosaurus
3 - Shantungosaurus
4 - Euoplocephalus (everyone does it wrong and calls the model Ankylosaurus)
5 - Unaysaurus

1 - Diprotodon
2 - Ambulocetus
3 - Toxodon
4 - Elasmotherium
5 - Gigantopithecus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.