News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bullyland Ichthyosaurus repaint

Started by bettashark, December 01, 2020, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettashark

Made a little progress today. Long way to go!
By the way, is Aleene's a suitable substitute for Krylon when it comes to sealers? The local craft stores are all out of Krylon. (It's closer to the front of the store.)

Shonisaurus

You still have it very well. By the way, are you going to put irises in your eye?

bettashark

More progress. I like how the yellow came out! But there's a long way to go still...
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Yep, I'll do irises, but I'm leaving the eyes for last in case I manage to smear paint over them.  :P

Libraraptor

Dusty Wren

I really like that flash of yellow! It breaks up the monochrome color scheme and draws the eye in. Great choice.

What are you planning to do next? The mouth?
Check out my customs thread!

Halichoeres

Looking good! As they are, the eyes give off kind of a spooky walleye/coelacanth vibe--if you're into that sort of thing :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bettashark

I think this is the final paint, but I might redo the eyes. The highlights are looking uh. Not so great.

BlueKrono

I love how the paint's going so far. Really boldened up. For the highlights have you ever tried drybrushing? It's a technique I have yet to master, but I'm working on it.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

bettashark

I'm not dead, I promise! Things went a little haywire around the house, and I've been struggling to recover. (Our furnace died the day before Christmas, which meant I had to frantically try to insulate my various fish and plants, and then one of the fish heaters malfunctioned and brought the water to well over 100 F, which meant even more frantic fish rescue efforts. Then in the chaos I cut my toe and it got seriously infected. It's been one thing after another, and it's barely January!)
ANYWAY. I'm still here (as are half of my fish), and the only progress I've made was painting the eyes solid black. I think they look better that way. Next I'll be testing different finishes on some painted paper to see which I like. I may make a few small changes to the rake marks before I coat it down.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.