News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari retired figures

Started by Sim, January 21, 2023, 11:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

In Safari's FAQ it says that if a figure isn't in their online store then it has been retired.  The Shunosaurus is no longer available on Safari's website, so I guess it has been retired.  I remember it being announced that Safari retired a few of their ceratopsids but I can't remember exactly which so I'll list all the ones that are no longer available from Safari in case any is a new retirement: Nasutoceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Einiosaurus.

I'm sad Safari retired the above listed ceratopsids as they are all excellent figures.  The Shunosaurus I'm not sad to see go as I felt its scales were too big, its teeth were painted atrociously and I didn't like its small size.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I wonder if Safari retired the ceratopsids (and stopped making new ones) because they were competing with each other for sales. The last one was the styracosaurus in 2019. As great as the Safari ceratopsids are, I can see how they could be seen as too similar to one another. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be a decline in theropods, though, which can also be pretty similar from the perspective of the general public.

It's a shame, too, since the Nasutoceratops was one of my favorite Wild Safari figures.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

I wish there was an easier way to know which figures were being retired, by any company. I always seem to find out after the fact. I don't keep up with figures year-to-year and there's always a backlog of figures I still need to get. Thankfully I have kept up with the Safari ceratopsians though, they're always top priority.

Faelrin

I think the Nasutoceratops and Einiosaurus were retired in 2021 or 2020, and the Pachyrhinosaurus last year? I agree that it is a shame to see them go, as they were some of the best iterations on the market. I know I got my hands on the Nasutoceratops and Einiosaurus at least back in 2021 after news of them retiring, and I think I used some of my covid stimulus money to get them actually. I guess if it's still around when I'm in a better spot to be buying figures again, I'll have to hunt for that Pachyrhinosaurus I am way behind on (and the Diabloceratops as well for that matter).

I think part of the reason the last few years have been theropod heavy is because theropods have historically sold better then herbivore species. I also imagine the more famous and familiar Triceratops and Styracosaurus are probably going to be picked over any of the other ceratopsians in most cases.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I remember when retailers used to post official retirement lists each year on the forum years ago, but I haven't seen anything like that on here in a while now. I don't think there are any retailers who are particularly active  on the forum anymore, come to think of it. Animalkingdoms.co.nz/ used to post retirement lists but haven't since 2020.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.