You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dunkleosteus is now Ohio's official state fossil fish

Started by Halichoeres, December 22, 2020, 02:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Dunkleosteus terrelli, the best thing from Ohio since the Wright Brothers, is now the official state fossil fish. The bill passed Ohio's House last May, and finally passed the Senate last month. Yesterday, the governor signed the bill into law:

photo from the Twitter feed of Cleveland Museum of Natural history curator Dr. Caitlin Colleary

It merited a brief mention in the newspaper of my favorite city in Ohio: https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/12/judge-blocks-state-payments-for-house-bill-6-as-gov-mike-dewine-searches-for-a-new-puco-chair-capitol-letter.html
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoxels

I couldn't help myself haha.

Anyone else notice the weird number on the Schleich Dunkleosteus?
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Faelrin

Lol they even had the Schleich figure there. Kind of nice to see Dunkleosteus become an official state fossil somewhere in some manner, particularly the state of its first discovery.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Haha I think that might just be the dark edges of the sturgeon armor that Schleich gave their figure? I assume they included the figure for scale, so that we'd know how big Mike DeWine is.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Libraraptor

This is still good and interesting news!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stolpergeist on December 24, 2020, 10:15:13 AM
I have to be honest it's kind of weird that it's the Schleich one and not Safari's but I guess it's due to their dominance in toy stores.
But apart from the weird fin structure Schleich's isn't too bad, especially for the time it was made, the head sculpt is phenomenal.

The Schleich version is "Amazon's Choice" if you search for a Dunkleosteus toy on the site. It's probably that simple.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 24, 2020, 02:00:14 PM
I have to be honest it's kind of weird that it's the Schleich one and not Safari's but I guess it's due to their dominance in toy stores.
But apart from the weird fin structure Schleich's isn't too bad, especially for the time it was made, the head sculpt is phenomenal.

The Schleich version is "Amazon's Choice" if you search for a Dunkleosteus toy on the site. It's probably that simple.

Schleich are like the Borg.  ^-^

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 24, 2020, 02:52:48 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 24, 2020, 02:00:14 PM

Schleich are like the Borg.  ^-^

Not only an inexorable force of conquest, but that Dunk has a definite cyborg quality!

Halichoeres

Another sign of how the Schleich Dunk has become a paleo-meme, here's the t-shirt from this year's Evolution conference, which was canceled due to the pandemic:

The front half looks like just the skull, but the back half is unmistakably the Schleich toy.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.