You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Discoloration on Safari Orthacanthus and Stethacanthus

Started by Eocarcharia, January 19, 2021, 01:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eocarcharia

My Safari Orthacanthus and Stethacanthus from the prehistoric sharks toob have gotten a strange yellow-green color on them. I've only had them on my shelves; they haven't been in contact with any dirt, paint, or any other substances. As far as I can tell, only these two are affected. I don't see anything like this on any of the oher sharks, or on any of my other figures. Is it some kind of mold?

Anyone know what this is?

Flaffy

My ones have this issue as well, and I have no idea what these yellow botches are either.
I tried removing them but ended up leaving scuffs on my Orthacanthus, so I just left them as is.

CityRaptor

Looks like it could be a case of photodegration aka yellowing:
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Photodegradation
Although I don't think it affects painted areas. So maybe something with the paint?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dinoguy2

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 19, 2021, 08:22:04 AM
Looks like it could be a case of photodegration aka yellowing:
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Photodegradation
Although I don't think it affects painted areas. So maybe something with the paint?

It seems to be present on both painted and unpainted areas (or are these fully painted?). That makes me think chemical leeching like the kinds that causes sticky figures is to blame here since that would probably make it through microscopic pores in the paint from the underlying plastic.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stargatedalek

I can confirm this is almost certainly unrelated to sticky plastic, mine have been like this for years and are still fine. It's a purely aesthetic yellowing that happens to some white plastics and white paints over time, you should be able to safely paint over it or "remove" it if you scrub off the paint (assuming it's happening tot he paint and not the plastic).

Justin_

I've got this on the underside of a couple of Schleich sharks which I've had since 1999. I wonder if the surface they are sitting on could be an influence?

Eocarcharia

Thanks for the help everyone. So it would seem to be a problem inherent to the paint and/or plastic. Maybe I'll try painting over them.

Quote from: Justin_ on January 20, 2021, 10:39:52 AM
I've got this on the underside of a couple of Schleich sharks which I've had since 1999. I wonder if the surface they are sitting on could be an influence?
I don't think that's the case, at least with mine. The discoloration is present on areas that were not in contact with shelves or anything else, like the Stethacanthus' sides.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Justin_ on January 20, 2021, 10:39:52 AM
It's caused by UV light. Typically this process is uniform and takes years unless exposed to direct sunlight, which is what makes me think it's happening to the paint  this instance and not the plastic.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.