News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help with taxonomy

Started by Odobenocetops, November 09, 2023, 12:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odobenocetops

Hi mates!
I'm not a dino expert (more an extsnt animals collector), but I like to have some dino representatives of the main/big groups or orders.

I'm interested in the Haolonggood dilaphosaurus and macroraptor, but Im struggling to know to what branch do they belong and if I already have that in my collection or not.

This is a schema of the groups I have (green) and dont have (red). Could you please help me identifying where dilaphosaurus and macroraptors go?

Thanks in advance!

Concavenator

avatar_Odobenocetops @Kangaroa Dilophosaurus is a basal theropod. According to Marsh & Rowe (2020), it's neither a coelophysoid nor a ceratosaur, but a non-averostran related to genera like Cryolophosaurus and Zupaysaurus. According to that Excel, you don't have figures of any particularly close animal.

Megaraptor (and the groups it names) on the other hand is currently thought to be a basal tyrannosauroid (based on Naish & Cau 2022 & Novas et al. 2014). However, it should be noted that current knowledge on megaraptorans is rather poor due to the scarcity of the fossil remains unearthed so far. So their classification as tyrannosauroids is not definitive and could change in light of further discoveries. According to the Excel, you don't any figure of a tyrannosauroid.

Hope this helps!

P.S. If you're looking for a 1:35ish Borealopelta, I highly recommend CollectA's. I'm not sure it actually is in that particular scale, but I'm fairly confident it is at least close.

Odobenocetops

Quote from: Concavenator on November 09, 2023, 12:53:25 PMavatar_Odobenocetops @Kangaroa Dilophosaurus is a basal theropod. According to Marsh & Rowe (2020), it's neither a coelophysoid nor a ceratosaur, but a non-averostran related to genera like Cryolophosaurus and Zupaysaurus. According to that Excel, you don't have figures of any particularly close animal.

Megaraptor (and the groups it names) on the other hand is currently thought to be a basal tyrannosauroid (based on Naish & Cau 2022 & Novas et al. 2014). However, it should be noted that current knowledge on megaraptorans is rather poor due to the scarcity of the fossil remains unearthed so far. So their classification as tyrannosauroids is not definitive and could change in light of further discoveries. According to the Excel, you don't any figure of a tyrannosauroid.

Hope this helps!

P.S. If you're looking for a 1:35ish Borealopelta, I highly recommend CollectA's. I'm not sure it actually is in that particular scale, but I'm fairly confident it is at least close.
Quote from: Concavenator on November 09, 2023, 12:53:25 PMavatar_Odobenocetops @Kangaroa Dilophosaurus is a basal theropod. According to Marsh & Rowe (2020), it's neither a coelophysoid nor a ceratosaur, but a non-averostran related to genera like Cryolophosaurus and Zupaysaurus. According to that Excel, you don't have figures of any particularly close animal.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Ill get the dilaphosaurus then!
I have the Pnso lying tyranno, so I have a tyranosaurid and probably wont need the macroraptor...

Why you say that about borealopelta? Is it from a group in that excel?

Concavenator

Quote from: Kangaroa on November 09, 2023, 03:03:40 PMWhy you say that about borealopelta? Is it from a group in that excel?

I only said that because on the Excel you mention that the PNSO Borealopelta is too big for you. So I just recommended the CollectA in case you were looking for a smaller Borealopelta figure.

Odobenocetops

Quote from: Concavenator on November 09, 2023, 04:04:24 PM
Quote from: Kangaroa on November 09, 2023, 03:03:40 PMWhy you say that about borealopelta? Is it from a group in that excel?

I only said that because on the Excel you mention that the PNSO Borealopelta is too big for you. So I just recommended the CollectA in case you were looking for a smaller Borealopelta figure.

Ah, got it. Finally I choose the ankykosaurus from PNSO. I would have rather bought a not so common ankylosaurid but that was the only satisfying figure at the time. Same with the stegosaurus... If Haologgood had existes at that tile things woud have been different

Anyway, thanks!

PS: just a shame I dont have an excuse for the macroraptor haha
But my criteria for dinos is:
1. Scientifically accurate and in 1:30-1:40 scale? If yes...
2. Already have a representative of that group? If yes, go it

I make exceptions with 2 if the figure is Eofauna. Then I'll buy no matter the taxonomical group

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.