News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Elasmosaurid Figure Recommendations

Started by Concavenator, May 23, 2022, 01:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Elasmosaurids are a group I'm interested in having represented in my collection, and I was considering getting 1 of the following:

CollectA Thalassomedon
CollectA Elasmosaurus
Safari Elasmosaurus

I would like to get the most scientifically accurate one, but I'm no expert on marine reptiles, so I wanted to hear your opinion about this. I'm especially interested in hearing Dr. Admin's opinion avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum

DinoToyForum

Well, I was the scientific consultant for the Wild Safari (Safari Ltd) Elasmosaurus so I can vouch for that one. But it's quite a small model. We omitted a tail fin, if you have preference on that front, there's currently no right answer. The CollectA Thalassomedon is very good. The forelimbs are positioned awkwardly, rotated a bit too far forward, which is a recurring theme in several CollectA plesiosaur toys for some reason, but otherwise there are no mistakes that come to mind. I haven't seen the CollectA Elasmosaurus figure in person yet so I'm holding final judgement on that, but I did have some concerns about the proportions (the body looks a bit long) and the apparently humped back.

Concavenator

Thank you avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum ! I think I will go with the Safari Elasmosaurus then. Seems to be the safest option, and I don't have a problem with it being small. I see what you mean about the CollectA Thalassomedon forelimbs, it's odd they did that.

Duna

I have the Safari Elasmosaurus and I can say it's a very good figure. In fact it's the oldest figure I have on display on the "accurate" cabinet because it still holds up very well. The colour is original and not too striking, too.

Concavenator

Well, it not simply holds up but it's a 2013 figure beating 2016 and 2021 figures in anatomical accuracy. This is just an example of why newer doesn't necessarily equate to better.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.