You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JW Mosasaurus turning a lighter/white color

Started by Lynx, January 21, 2021, 09:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

My JW Mosasaurus has been turning a lighter/white color. I tried scrubbing it off, which worked for a few days, but then it started to reappear. Anyone know what it is and how to fix it?
An oversized house cat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

ItsTwentyBelow

Yes, I've noticed my Mosasaurus will do this only during really cold weather for the last couple years, and only across the soft rubbery sections of the figure. Interior of my little apartment is pretty drafty, and I'm used to seeing my Mosasaurus with this lighter film over it after I return home from being gone for the week for Christmas/New Years', and my place is pretty much FREEZING inside, for example.

It's almost like a thin film of...frost(?), but I think it's just the way the rubbery plastic reacts when it's frozen, or close to freezing. I wouldn't worry about it. Move the figure into a warmer room and it will be fine.

Lynx

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on January 22, 2021, 06:31:16 AM
Yes, I've noticed my Mosasaurus will do this only during really cold weather for the last couple years, and only across the soft rubbery sections of the figure. Interior of my little apartment is pretty drafty, and I'm used to seeing my Mosasaurus with this lighter film over it after I return home from being gone for the week for Christmas/New Years', and my place is pretty much FREEZING inside, for example.

It's almost like a thin film of...frost(?), but I think it's just the way the rubbery plastic reacts when it's frozen, or close to freezing. I wouldn't worry about it. Move the figure into a warmer room and it will be fine.
Thanks. I'll try and see if it works.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

It's been almost two years since I went on this thread, and I still have the problem. I've tried everything, hot water, cold water, ice, warm rooms, scrubbing, soap, and even using a toothbrush to try and scrub out the individual scales. I think it was caused by being in the sun too long, but I really want to fix this, as it is my favorite figure and I would hate for it to be ruined. Will try to have pictures soon.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Also, it is not the entire figure turning whiter, it is mainly on the back and head where very white splotches appear, you can scrub them out but it comes back after a few minutes.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

As others have said, I would suggest adding images, so people can help you identify what is wrong with it. I think you should also give more information on what time of environment it's usually stored in (in and/or out of sunlight, what's the typical temperature, humidity, in a bright or dark location, etc).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

If this is due to sun exposure it probably means the plastic is degraded/degrading and I do not know a way to halt or reverse that process.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lynx

Quote from: Faelrin on August 24, 2022, 12:29:54 AMAs others have said, I would suggest adding images, so people can help you identify what is wrong with it. I think you should also give more information on what time of environment it's usually stored in (in and/or out of sunlight, what's the typical temperature, humidity, in a bright or dark location, etc).

I will get pictures once I get home, I used to store it outdoors in the sun (which is what I think is the reason) but now store it indoors in a closet.

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 24, 2022, 06:50:26 PMIf this is due to sun exposure it probably means the plastic is degraded/degrading and I do not know a way to halt or reverse that process.

Thanks, it is a bit of a shame but thank you.
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

No worries, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures