News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ibrahim teases “an exciting 2022” for Spinosaurus

Started by MLMjp, January 01, 2022, 04:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Seems we will have more on our favorite ever changing spine lizard soon...
https://twitter.com/nizaribrahimphd/status/1477253982863118338?s=21

Prepare your "this isn't even my final form" memes, people.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Huskies

Depending on the reveal, we may have new Spinosaurus models/ figures for 2022.

Gwangi

CityRaptor

This is why my only Spinosaurus is the old Dinosaur King one made by Playmates. ;D Okay, it's mainly since I sorted out all the others I had and have yet not gotten a new one, but seems like a good idea to hold back for now.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dynomikegojira

JohannesB

Quote from: Gwangi on January 01, 2022, 10:37:30 PM
This is why I don't buy Spinosaurus figures.  ;D

The same here, although I do have one Spinosaurus figure: the Carnegie 2009, which I bought because I loved the sculpt. I still do, 'flaws' (or better: scientific inaccuracies) and all. In general I am a very big fan of Forest Rogers sculpts, especially when looking at the original sculpts/prototypes: exquisite, finely detailed pieces of art, in my view. I hope we will see a more complete Spinosaurus fossil and reconstruction soon, so a new toy model will hopefully soon follow suit. (Preferably PNSO.) But I can wait a few more years if necessary ;-)

Dinoxels

Interesting use of the holotype in that first teaser image. In my dreams this is a re-examination of what belongs in Spinosaurus aegyptiacus as it is way more complex then some people think. But I doubt it. 
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shadowknight1

More changes possible, huh?  Then I'll hold off on the updated PNSO one and stick with my Papo one for now.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Gwangi

Quote from: JohannesB on January 01, 2022, 11:26:15 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 01, 2022, 10:37:30 PM
This is why I don't buy Spinosaurus figures.  ;D

The same here, although I do have one Spinosaurus figure: the Carnegie 2009, which I bought because I loved the sculpt. I still do, 'flaws' (or better: scientific inaccuracies) and all. In general I am a very big fan of Forest Rogers sculpts, especially when looking at the original sculpts/prototypes: exquisite, finely detailed pieces of art, in my view. I hope we will see a more complete Spinosaurus fossil and reconstruction soon, so a new toy model will hopefully soon follow suit. (Preferably PNSO.) But I can wait a few more years if necessary ;-)

I love the Carnegie Spinosaurus but never got it while it was in production, one of my collecting regrets. I would still get one if I could find one. The only Spinosaurus figures in my collection are the orange Favorite one, the Papo JP3, and the Mattel Spinosaurus. Although the JP Spinosaurus aren't accurate at least they'll always be movie accurate. I want an "updated" Spinosaurus but it's overall appearance is still too unknown, I'm not interested in buying an updated Spinosaurus with each new paper that's published.

suspsy

I wonder what it'll be this time? The shape of the sail, perhaps? Or a complete skull?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

I know this will come off as childish or "stuck in 2011" or something but I'd be quite delighted if we found spinosaurus to be larger and stronger. Though it is quite unlikely.
I just hope it will just be this because any other major change can go in any direction and I dont eant to take chances, and I hope the mesozoic life spinosaurus doesnt need to get rendered obsolete and innacurate.

Duck

I'm going to wait to get the PNSO 2020 one until this new research or whatever it is comes out.
He who dwells in pond

Huskies

The only Spinosaurus figure I have is the walking one from 2015 CollectA. I wonder in Ibrahim found the arm bones of Spinosaurus or the complete leg bones.

Faelrin

Well good that I haven't been able to get around to getting the PNSO one yet. Don't want to be burned twice after I got the 2019 Papo one right before the dang tail thing came out (though that aside, it wasn't wholly accurate to what was known by then anyways, but it was the only one where I really liked both the coloration, size, and sculpt detail of at the time, as far as a post 2014 Spinosaurus went). I just hope this stuff settles down by the time a potential BotM one comes along, lol.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shane

I know the constant changes are why some folks don't like to collect Spinosaurus figures.

Conversely, the ever-changing nature is why I actually enjoy collecting this genus.

You can chart the history of how our understanding of this dino has changed in real time through the different figures that have come out through the years.

As for whether any 2022 announcements would lead to 2022 figures...I can only speculate, but I imagine

Most companies are somewhat burned out on Spinosaurus by now, and wouldn't want to come out with a new one every single year. I'm sure new figures will be made of any substantial changes, but I wouldn't count on them to be released this year. In addition to Spino burnout, it's also difficult to turn around an entirely new figure from start to finish within a year.

Gwangi

I don't mind charting the history of a dinosaur over the course of a few decades, over the course of a few years though? No thanks.  :))

Shane

Quote from: Gwangi on January 04, 2022, 09:16:12 PM
I don't mind charting the history of a dinosaur over the course of a few decades, over the course of a few years though? No thanks.  :))

This is one reason why I would expect to see some slow down in Spinosaurus figures, even if something new comes out, unless it's extremely radical in terms of its significance.

It can be a lot to keep up with to get new Spino information in piecemeal form once a year or so, and toy companies will likely want to focus their attention away from this dino for that reason, at least until a clearer picture develops.

Just my speculation though!

Antey

And I'm glad about the new data. Although my recently acquired PNSO Spinosaurus may soon become obsolete, that doesn't scare me. Still, people continue to collect funny dinosaurs from Marx and they are not worried about their absolute discrepancy with scientific data. In addition, Spinosaurus is lucky - new data are regularly published on it, clarifying the appearance and ecology. Compare this to the Megalosaurus, which has been known for 200 years, but is still a dump of obscure remains, probably even from different taxa. And people buy megalosaurus toys and do not resent the appearance that is completely sucked from the finger!

andrewsaurus rex

Maybe the new information will be that Spinosauurs was very sexually dimorphic, with females having short legs and tail fins, while males had long legs and no tail fins...time for everyone to scramble and look for their old Spinosaurus figures.  :)

I think the feet are totally unknown for Spino, aren't they?  So maybe some foot discoveries with webbed toes are on the horizon.  More info on the sail shape and composition and even function would be of great interest too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: