News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darko2300

Wow.

I think all I've really learned from this thread is that - while I desperately want Essen The Spinosaurus, there's not a rat's chance in Hell that I'll get one with a good paint job if I pull the trigger.  ;D

As far as the Acro... *backs away slowly*

Concavenator

This will be the last time I comment any inaccuracies on a PNSO product, apparently it's a crime. If I don't do it myself, someone else probably will. I will just keep the inaccuracies to myself, and decide for myself if I want to buy something or not without letting anyone know how I feel about it or what aspects I think could be improved.

Not sure if I'm done with this forum yet, but I'm definitely done with this and the rest of PNSO threads. Guess I will just only follow the Paleofiguras page (which I do anyways) so I can still be aware of the news by the different companies without having to visit this forum. It saddens me to say this, because there are some people I really appreciate from here, and the fact that I thought I could create conversation without worries was interesting but this much toxicity simply isn't healthy.

Gwangi

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on May 13, 2022, 07:02:04 PM
I apologize for that comment, I didn't intend to be mean spirited. I'm just beyond tired of the incessant negativity, whining, nitpicking and complaining here. It's driving people away from this forum, as me and other members have stated many times before. It's obvious at this point there'll be no change until you'll have the same 10 people complaining about the tiniest details to each other. I mean, we're almost at point already, just check the number of individual members participating in these threads. I'll take a break from this place, it's getting on my nerves.

I'm beyond tired of members guilt tripping other members because they have a differing opinion. It's like a cycle. PNSO releases something, there's celebration, then the criticism, then the criticism of the critics. With Every. Single. Release.

Speaking only for myself, I have lauded praise at a fair number of PNSO figures. Styracosaurus, Centrosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Corythosaurus, Cretoxyrhina, Tarbosaurus, Helicoprion, etc. with hardly a nit to pick. Then there are those figures I downright dislike, though they're in the minority and my complaint about them is usually about the price, especially if it's in the Museum Line. Then there are a number of figures that I was unsure about and it was only after reading the thoughts, opinions, and constructive criticism of others that I was able to decide if I wanted it or not. I might even change my mind about this Acrocanthosaurus. But that last point is important. How accurate is the figure? Someone will tell me. How good is the paintjob? Someone will tell me. Constructive criticism has value, even nit picks have value. They allow me to decide if an particular inaccuracy is something I can live with or not. It beyond baffles me that there are people that just want to see positivity and praise, and nothing else. These threads should be a mixed bag of praise and criticism both, so that when taken together they can give you a balanced outlook on a figure. The most negative thing about these threads are the people that constantly take the critics to task over their opinions and values. We went from evaluating a toy to fighting with each other.

suspsy

As I said before, I don't intend to get this Acrocanthosaurus, but it looks perfectly good to me, even if the proportions are somewhat off. And I love the Safari Albertosaurus and will absolutely be adding it to my collection.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shadowknight1

I apologize for cherry picking avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator.  I do disagree as I think that the argument over its proportions has been, well, blown out of proportion.  The head looks a bit more appropriate in the image where it's standing on its own box.  As for the tail, with it being curved that might be hard to judge, especially since Acrocanthosaurus doesn't have a super long tail to begin with.  I do find it a tad annoying that the enlarged claw is again omitted from an Allosoroid, but that seems to be more common than not.  I like the depiction of the spine, even with the overly cliche osteoderms.  I do still think this beats the Papo and Rebor.  The only reason the Safari one isn't the be all, end all to me is the uniformity of its scales, the huge feet, and the figure being so small.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

TaranUlas

Hey, folks, what did I miss-

Oh. Oh boy.

Personally, as someone who tends to use my figures for paleo outreach, I find these conversations on accuracy and such invaluable. They make it much easier for me when determining whether or not to pick up a figure. I lack the training and access to proper scientific material to be able to do full analysis myself so other people providing such knowledge is invaluable to me. It lets me know what to look for, what to comment on when doing said outreach and even for cases like this on how to combine figures to talk about an animal. After all, the Safari LTD Acro and this PNSO Acro seem like they can cover for each other's weaknesses and thus combining them for outreach sounds like a great idea.

Shadowknight1

I'll also point out that poor photography does get used more often than you'd think.  A great example is Hasbro's Black Series Darth Vader helmet which was photographed too close to the product, resulting in a picture that made it look terrible.  Here's a comparison someone did by doing a close up and one that was further back:

Hopefully something similar is what's happening with this Acro.  Though I still plan to buy it as I am a sucker for my favorite dinosaur.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Joel1905 on May 13, 2022, 05:00:46 PM
Yet again, people on this forum (as well as other places on social media) are really going all out with the nitpicking. PNSO are known to have wonky proportions in promo pics due to the angles they take pics of the master copies from, in hand, the proportions always look better.

This is the best mass produced Acrocanthosaurus ever made, and is even on par with some larger statues/resin kits, from the promo pics it looks like a living, breathing animal rather than a plastic model. I don't know why people are being so overly critical? Especially when other brands seem to get a free pass over much more egregious errors and much lower production quality.

At this point I'm starting to think that its just Sinophobia.
"People disagree with me, they must be racist"
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Faras on May 13, 2022, 06:11:01 PM
Price is the biggest problem. Acrocanthosaurus is $20-25 in mainland so it got overwhelming praises despite proportion problem in pics (better not to trust promo pics tho). Guess folks are much more tolerable when it's inexpensive.

Meanwhile I'm still wondering whether to get Eofauna Diplodocus... It's decent but cost more than most PNSO museum lines here :(
Here it's only £26.99, cheaper than most modern PNSO models. It's an utter steal
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Primeval12

Ok, so the Acro is about $33 USD? It's a no-brainer then. IT WILL BE MINE >:)

Shadowknight1

An additional image from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/PNSO-pnso/dp/B09Q33MZGD?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Not available yet, unfortunately.

Faras

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 13, 2022, 09:54:56 PM
Here it's only £26.99, cheaper than most modern PNSO models. It's an utter steal

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 £32-36 here (made in China so no international shipping. Price could go up by £5-10 if it was produced in another country), more than most PNSO cept bookstands, Spino, Ceratosaurus, two T. rex and new Stegosaurus.

TBH it's a bit unfair to accuse PNSO on this matter since as avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy said most companies have different regional pricing, just this problem was barely mentioned on DTF when the market was more or less dominated by western brands.

PS: afaik some Nanmu and W-Dragon prices are also nearly doubled for international market, weird few talked about it here compared to PNSO.

Joel1905

Quote from: Concavenator on May 13, 2022, 06:27:42 PM
avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor the thing is: other than the probably unlikely colour scheme (which you can always repaint), what other problems the Safari Albertosaurus has? If you find some, you're free to point them out, if you feel like so. I honestly don't find any: scales have an adequate size, has lips, the feet aren't oversized...

It's true this PNSO Acrocanthosaurus is finely sculpted - no one is negating that. We are simply pointing out its scientific inaccuracies, and in that regard, proportion-wise it is a mess (unless they correct it before release, which doesn't seem too likely).

I buy your point about sponsored reviews being biased though.

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on May 13, 2022, 06:03:15 PM
Eofauna's Giganotosaurus is 40USD/30€, but less detailed than similarly priced PNSO models, has knob teeth, stability problems and sloppy paint.

Well, Eofauna claims to be a company who produce scientifically accurate figures. They haven't yet released a figure with as many inaccuracies as some figures PNSO have (who also claims to release scientifically accurate figures) released in the past, like the Corythosaurus, Carnotaurus, or this Acrocanthosaurus. I agree with the newer PNSO figures having better paint application than the average Eofauna figure, but PNSO have been very hit and miss in this aspect in the past too (the Borealopelta is poorly painted, and I'm not hating on the figure for no reason, I have it), not to mention the fact that some older figures that are sold now are way more sloppily painted than they were at release. I think it's time to remember this:

Quote from: Flaffy on March 07, 2022, 10:25:35 PM
[You're being advertised this absolute beaut:

But then end up getting this...

Has any Eofauna figure been this sloppily painted?

I admit I have complained about the rising PNSO prices, but I didn't consider the currency conversion nor the taxes and thereby I apologize for that.

Quote from: Faras on May 13, 2022, 06:11:01 PMI'm still wondering whether to get Eofauna Diplodocus... It's decent but cost more than most PNSO museum lines here :(

Here in Spain, the Diplodocus costs 28 € whilst the PNSO Pachycephalosaurus costs 37,25 €. So the situation looks to be the opposite.

Calling it a 'mess' is a reach and a half.

Duna

Quote from: Primeval12 on May 13, 2022, 09:59:30 PM
Not even in a sale.

Quote from: Concavenator on May 13, 2022, 08:21:55 PM
This will be the last time I comment any inaccuracies on a PNSO product, apparently it's a crime. If I don't do it myself, someone else probably will. I will just keep the inaccuracies to myself, and decide for myself if I want to buy something or not without letting anyone know how I feel about it or what aspects I think could be improved.

Not sure if I'm done with this forum yet, but I'm definitely done with this and the rest of PNSO threads. Guess I will just only follow the Paleofiguras page (which I do anyways) so I can still be aware of the news by the different companies without having to visit this forum. It saddens me to say this, because there are some people I really appreciate from here, and the fact that I thought I could create conversation without worries was interesting but this much toxicity simply isn't healthy.
Yeah, same here. Some will just quote you and argue against what you have said without saying a word of justified debate just throwing "stop attacks!, you don't have the right to say anything bad against this figure but I will say nothing to rebate what you have scientifically stated (i.e showing skeletals, other scientist opinions, new papers on necks, feet ...) and so".
Ah, and as everyone have seen, they'll just keep cherry picking what you have said without any context that it's neccesary to understand it. Just as journalists do.

Lynx

I hadn't seen previous context of what you were calling a mess, and I apologize for saying you were going too far. That was fully on me for not checking back and seeing what you meant. Again, I'm greatly sorry.
An oversized house cat.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Duna on May 13, 2022, 10:31:28 PM
Quote from: Primeval12 on May 13, 2022, 09:59:30 PM
Not even in a sale.

Yeah, same here. Some will just quote you and argue against what you have said without saying a word of justified debate just throwing "stop attacks!, you don't have the right to say anything bad against this figure but I will say nothing to rebate what you have scientifically stated (i.e showing skeletals, other scientist opinions, new papers on necks, feet ...) and so".
Ah, and as everyone have seen, they'll just keep cherry picking what you have said without any context that it's neccesary to understand it. Just as journalists do.
Unlike journalists, I did apologize for cherry picking.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on May 13, 2022, 06:03:15 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 13, 2022, 05:52:39 PM
Funny you mention Safari. When Safari was criticized for making a Nanotyrannus it was stated in THAT thread that Safari was receiving harsher criticism than PNSO. The idea of disproportionate criticism is an illusion in your own mind. Also...Safari Albertosaurus=$15. PNSO Acrocanthosaurus=$40. They both make dinosaurs but they are not the same.
That price difference is reflected in size, detail, paint and extras, there's a world of difference there. Another example: Eofauna's Giganotosaurus is 40USD/30€, but less detailed than similarly priced PNSO models, has knob teeth, stability problems and sloppy paint. It's judged less harshly than anything PNSO made. And as I said, show me another company get criticized for shipping costs, currency, taxes. I'll wait. Or are those illusions in my mind, as well? Again, let's stop pretending.
I wonder if there is a reason PNSO figures get criticized more often than Eofauna's, like that they release a deluge of figures constantly while Eofauna only releases a few a year? That would certainly explain why it seems like there are always complaints to be made about something PNSO is doing, while Eofauna figures only get criticism a few times a year. No, that couldn't possibly be it, not at all.

Lynx

On another note, I won't be getting this Acro. Even if it's cheap. Just not worth it when there's already a much better (imo) GR Toys version coming out
An oversized house cat.

Thialfi

I have seen that EoFauna giganotosaurus receive sooo much criticism. Just not on an anatomical basis, but mostly its instability and paint scheme.

SenSx

Only the elongated head is bothering me a bit.
Also I do like to imagine that specie with more vibrant colors, and I'm sure GR Toys will deliver on that side.
So I might wait for their offering.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: