News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I will also be buying it as a stand-in for Sucho, since I don't have any good figures for it atm. Depending on the size, however, I might use it as a Bary instead.
An oversized house cat.

Faras

Quote from: Flaffy on August 14, 2022, 10:16:37 PMA spitting image of Auditore's Suchomimus from Fabbri et al, sail/hip dip and all. Thanks to L @Leyster for pointing that out.

Some on Chinese forum speculated that maybe PNSO built a Suchomimus with a salamander tail and a dip in spines based on Ibrahim paper. Then Sereno paper with no dip, regular tail (or cause of Riparovenator normal tail) came out after mould was already made, so they decided to release the figure under a different name (could be the reason for picking a highly fragmented "species").

Edit: full sideview, looks nearly identical to the skeletal.

It's already available on Pinduoduo. Release on Taobao at 8pm, 15th August (+8GMT), price is same as Sinraptor.
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537/tb.1997196601.4.6a4f7484olOqx3&id=681232439911

SenSx

Can it make it as a Suchomimus ?
I'm not a big fan of the color scheme though, it's really bland in my opinion...

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Carnoking on August 14, 2022, 02:46:34 PMI too was wondering if this was originally meant to be another species (I.e. the rumored Suchomimus) before its name was arbitrarily replaced to appeal more to PNSO's domestic market. Regardless, I'm not going to let myself get too hung up on it. It's a gorgeous model, so I'll buy it and ignore what's written on the box and just refer to it by whatever may suit it better.

Couldn't have said it any better!  And it is a gorgeous model!  And it probably is the rumored Suchomimus figure and I don't care what they called it on the box either.  This is an auto buy for me, it looks fantastic!!!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Renecito on August 14, 2022, 01:01:57 PMChongzuo the Sinopliosaurus

What a beautiful model!!!  And a prehistoric line model too so $38.99-42.99 price tag?

JohannesB

This figure is really growing on me a lot. They could have gone with another, somewhat more creative paint scheme, but I love it as it is. It will be my first Baryonychid figure since my Invicta Baryonyx (which I think is an excellent figure).

Medzo

I don't see how even the Chinese market would be more excited for a totally random questionable Chinese genus than the name Suchomimus.

The figure looks stunning, I hope in hand units will be just as vibrant and not actually pale.

SidB

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on August 15, 2022, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on August 14, 2022, 02:46:34 PMI too was wondering if this was originally meant to be another species (I.e. the rumored Suchomimus) before its name was arbitrarily replaced to appeal more to PNSO's domestic market. Regardless, I'm not going to let myself get too hung up on it. It's a gorgeous model, so I'll buy it and ignore what's written on the box and just refer to it by whatever may suit it better.

Couldn't have said it any better!  And it is a gorgeous model!  And it probably is the rumored Suchomimus figure and I don't care what they called it on the box either.  This is an auto buy for me, it looks fantastic!!!
We faced a somewhat similar challenge with the so-called Nanotyrannus. I'd suppose that most collectors simply regard and display it as a juvenile rex: that's what I do. Looks like this new one will end up as my Suchomimus, it seems.

Primeval12

While what they named it kinda sucks, I still love the model. It's really cool to see a non-spinosaurus model with the accurate tail and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Gwangi

To echo everyone else, I think that it's weird that it's marketed as a Sinopliosaurus but it is still a fine spinosaurid model. I don't have many spinosaurids in my collection, I'll likely get it eventually.

Halichoeres

I would have preferred that they made the plesiosaur.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Abobo

SidB

Apart from the name issue, that's one handsome figure. I'm definitely moving towars just calling it Suchomimus (from Auditore). Maybe not the most up-to-date rendition, but, on that basis, it is what it is. Better than being named after what is essentially a tooth taxon.

JohannesB

I hope the dull coloration in these pictures is just a result of the fact that they are taken with a horrible mobile phone "camera". Impressions like these will put off people, unfortunately. Still, I might acquire it, since it does look like it is a nice figure of one of my favourite dinosaurs (if I were to take it as a stand-in for Baryonyx/Suchomimus ;-)

Concavenator

After thinking about it... I'm not sure whether to skip it and wait for PNSO or anyone else to release an actual Suchomimus or simply getting it as a stand-in for Suchomimus (not Baryonyx, the Safari one is pretty nice, the Safari Suchomimus, not so much imo). I don't like using figures of an intended species to represent another species I like more, but this case calls for it. It's not like there's a ton of figures of Suchomimus.

Still, I think I'll be going with the former, but in any case, could it pass as a Suchomimus? L @Leyster I would be interested in knowing your opinion. In case I go with the latter, there are other figures that are higher priorities for me.

Edit: I created a poll about this particular figure, please check it out:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9vasg361qj7vlkqeg4ikvo4jqo&topic=10373.msg325752;topicseen#new

Leyster

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator it might pass for a Suchomimus inspired from Auditore's skeletals, even if some elements remind more of his Baryonyx. But I'd need the model in hand, or a least better photos, to determine this, considering that details migh be deformed by pose/soft tissues. Also keep in mind that not everybody agrees with that skeletal and there are others offering a different view of this animal (ie. the one avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy posted in the previous page).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

Thank you L @Leyster , and I think I will be passing on it after all. Hopefully PNSO will still be releasing a Suchomimus, would be the first time a genus from the rumour lists isn't released.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 15, 2022, 07:22:27 PMI would have preferred that they made the plesiosaur.

Haha, me too! But even Sinopliosaurus (the plesiosaur) is so poorly known it would be as speculative as this Siamosaurus, if not more so. I don't think we even have any idea of the general proportions of Sinopliosaurus. So, if PNSO do make another plesiosaur I'd prefer they pick a different better-known genus. If they wanted to choose a Chinese taxon then Bishanopliosaurus is probably the best known. Or, a 'not-quite-but-almost-a-plesiosaur' pistosaur, such as Yunguisaurus, would make a great model.

suspsy

This would be a cool toy.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Bishanopliosaurus or Yunguisaurus would definitely scratch that sauropterygian itch!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: