News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

Quote from: Concavenator on August 16, 2022, 03:11:00 PMThank you L @Leyster , and I think I will be passing on it after all. Hopefully PNSO will still be releasing a Suchomimus, would be the first time a genus from the rumour lists isn't released.
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator this, if the rumored Suchomimus isn't this Sinopliosaurus after it was renamed, as some speculated.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

Quote from: Faras on August 15, 2022, 05:53:51 AMSome on Chinese forum speculated that maybe PNSO built a Suchomimus with a salamander tail and a dip in spines based on Ibrahim paper. Then Sereno paper with no dip, regular tail (or cause of Riparovenator normal tail) came out after mould was already made, so they decided to release the figure under a different name (could be the reason for picking a highly fragmented "species").

If that really is the reason why they decided to change the name (in case this model was initially going to be a Suchomimus) then it's not a solid one. It's not like we have found any more Suchomimus remains so this model is now obsolete. It would be a shame if that was the reason why we wouldn't be getting an overdue new figure of this animal, I was so excited when I heard the Suchomimus rumours...  :-\

That said, the figure looks like Suchomimus, not just because of its similarity to Auditore's skeletal, but also because of the very elongated snout, proportionally longer than Baryonyx's. So I wouldn't say those rumours are unfounded, it's just that I'm not convinced by PNSO's move (again, if they really changed the name).

Here's to hoping they will release a figure with the name Suchomimus. For example, in the previous leaked list of releases, Zhuchengtyrannus didn't appear, yet they released it.

oscars_dinos

I think my main... heck really my only complaint is the jaw, specifically those two really large teeth on the notch. I dont know if that's referencing the only known material found but if so it still looks off does anyone know more about that?

SidB

Personally, I'm skeptical  of their releasing another such figure any time soon: two chances, slim and none, so to speak. My sense is that this will be as good as it gets. Mind you, it's a fine looking figure. As avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum suggests, it sure would be nice if PNSO were to correct the blooper on their boxes. I'm rapidly becoming resigned to this becoming my new Suchomimus. Not right away, but probably eventually.

ceratopsian

Given that we have only a handful of isolated teeth, it seems unlikely that much can be extrapolated about their position within the jaw or the size variation between the teeth of a single individual, avatar_oscars_dinos @imnewhere.

Quote from: imnewhere on August 17, 2022, 03:43:30 AMI think my main... heck really my only complaint is the jaw, specifically those two really large teeth on the notch. I dont know if that's referencing the only known material found but if so it still looks off does anyone know more about that?

Sim

Quote from: imnewhere on August 17, 2022, 03:43:30 AMI think my main... heck really my only complaint is the jaw, specifically those two really large teeth on the notch. I dont know if that's referencing the only known material found but if so it still looks off does anyone know more about that?

It looks off to me too.  In Baryonyx and Suchomimus the lower jaw teeth fit into the upper jaw.  In Spinosaurus the lower jaw teeth interlock with the upper jaw like in PNSO's Sinopliosaurus though.

oscars_dinos

I suppose we can just boil it down to individual variability and name our Sinopliosaurus (Baryonyx/Suchomimus/whatever we end up wanting it to be) snaggletooth.

Faras

PNSO Sinopliosaurus

Edit: might need to open image in new tab...

Common issue: detail loss behind thighs.

Honestly it's a pretty nice figure: nearly no visible seams apart from throat, pleasant pose, musculatures and skin, crocodile style bulky forelimbs, proper narrow head. I'm not a big fan of stripes, imo tiger pattern doesn't fit a semi aquatic animal, but gotta say it's one of PNSO's best: stripes have variations, good transition from dark brown along spines to pinkish yellow on belly, dark wash brings out details.

Ugly gaps between masticatory muscles on lower jaws and on throat piece again, probably caused by low skulls (so muscle parts on lower jaws need to be small). Jaws are slightly loose, bounces back during last 1/3 (pics show the maximum stable opening on mine). Teeth are surprisingly well painted despite most are only ~0.5mm long. Interestingly, 1/3 of masticatory muscles are built on head piece (usually most parts sit on throat piece).

Comparison with new Spinosaurus: Spinosaurus is heavier, has lower jaws muscles extend over throat piece, making the head way too wide.

It's a beautiful figure. PNSO is good at delivering aesthetically pleasing things regardless of what they write on the box.

SidB

No disagreement there, avatar_Faras @Faras . Thanks for the photo reviews and especially the comparisons with their Spinosaurus. Very appropriate.

JohannesB

Often, a figure looks better in hand than on most photo's, but if these photo's are anything to go by, then this is a very beautiful figure indeed. I love the attention to detail in anatomy (including soft tissue, like muscles) in PNSO figures, and this is a particularly pleasing figure in that respect too, I think. I also love the burnt sienna and (pinkish) buff colouration. Stripes are maybe a bit improbable on this species, yes, but I can get past that. All in all certainly a step up from their latest Spinosaurus model, in my opinion.

Concavenator

Thank you for the pics yet again, avatar_Faras @Faras , and yes, the figure itself is really good, though that's to be expected from PNSO. Its colour scheme, while probably not the most appropiate for a spinosaurid, considering their ecology, looks nice, and the paint application is pretty good too. Just a shame about its naming (and also the possibility of we not getting a Suchomimus, as we expected).

Pliosaurking

I do like this figure, but like some others have said the paint scheme doesn't fit a spinosaur. I'm also not a fan of the name and I still hope we're getting a actual suchomimus instead of just this

KrazyKaprosuchus

I quite like the sculpt, but I don't really like the snaggletooth look and, as said, the paint scheme doesn't really fit (and is just a bit boring to be honest). And of course there's the name. Overall, I think i'll pass and hope for a suchomimus to also be in the works.

Lynx

waiting for the day PNSO realizes that a vomit color with stripes doesn't need to be on every single figure they make
An oversized house cat.

MLMjp

The whole "it was a Sucho but because its inaccurate we re-branded it into something that isn´t even an actual Spinosaur so it is actually a Siamosaurus is kind of a turn-off.

It looks pretty good regardless, but I feel I'll keep waiting for a Suchomimus figure.

suspsy

Again, I'm getting the distinct impression that PNSO is finally beginning to show cracks in their shiny surface. Bad enough how bloody expensive their products are, but now they appear to be willing to arbitrarily bend science in order to cater to national pride. I hope I'm reading too much into it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

when a company jumps on the obscure species train/extremely fragmentary species train, you know it's not a good thing
An oversized house cat.

SenSx

Quote from: MLMjp on August 18, 2022, 07:09:26 PMThe whole "it was a Sucho but because its inaccurate we re-branded it into something that isn´t even an actual Spinosaur so it is actually a Siamosaurus is kind of a turn-off.

It looks pretty good regardless, but I feel I'll keep waiting for a Suchomimus figure.

So it's really inacurate for a Suchomimus ?

Stegotyranno420

The head just looks very cheap. So is the jaw

Flaffy

Quote from: SenSx on August 18, 2022, 11:24:43 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on August 18, 2022, 07:09:26 PMThe whole "it was a Sucho but because its inaccurate we re-branded it into something that isn´t even an actual Spinosaur so it is actually a Siamosaurus is kind of a turn-off.

So it's really inacurate for a Suchomimus ?

It's certainly not the best representation of the genus. Dan Folkes's skeletal reflects our current understanding of the genus based on new data (tail elements) from Ripravenator.

Which is precisely why I'm using the PNSO "Sinopliosaurus" to represent Siamosaurus in my collection. And it could very well work for any generic mid-grade Spinosaurid in dioramas, just nothing specific at the moment.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: