News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

I think a true representation of Torosaurus will differ enough from Doyle 2.0 to get them both. I do hope that a Torosaurus will get some very different colors.

While the genus of AMNH 5116 is subject of debate, I don't think it's strange that PNSO chose to make a figure based on it. Especially since it used to be displayed next to AMNH 5027 which was of course the base for their T. Rex. If the museum states that 5116 is now recognized as a Triceratops, it's only logical that PNSO does that as well. It's a nice touch that they  market it based on an actual specimen just like they did with the T. Rex. It adds something to the Museum Line I feel.
But today, I'm just being father

Antey

Quote from: SRF on January 19, 2022, 09:56:09 AM
I think a true representation of Torosaurus will differ enough from Doyle 2.0 to get them both. I do hope that a Torosaurus will get some very different colors.

While the genus of AMNH 5116 is subject of debate, I don't think it's strange that PNSO chose to make a figure based on it. Especially since it used to be displayed next to AMNH 5027 which was of course the base for their T. Rex. If the museum states that 5116 is now recognized as a Triceratops, it's only logical that PNSO does that as well. It's a nice touch that they  market it based on an actual specimen just like they did with the T. Rex. It adds something to the Museum Line I feel.
I also like that PNSO is partnering with AMNH to reconstruct specific museum pieces. But my inner conservative protests. :( And the new Doyle's horns seem too long and low. Although I admit - they did a good job of creating this figure.
I have a difficult choice in front of me. My birthday is ahead. The gift should be a Triceratops. But who it will be, I have not chosen. The candidates are new and old Doyls and the Yoshi-trike of the Eofauna. All are good, but all have flaws.

SRF

Quote from: Antey on January 19, 2022, 10:22:07 AM
Quote from: SRF on January 19, 2022, 09:56:09 AM

I also like that PNSO is partnering with AMNH to reconstruct specific museum pieces. But my inner conservative protests. :( And the new Doyle's horns seem too long and low. Although I admit - they did a good job of creating this figure.
I have a difficult choice in front of me. My birthday is ahead. The gift should be a Triceratops. But who it will be, I have not chosen. The candidates are new and old Doyls and the Yoshi-trike of the Eofauna. All are good, but all have flaws.

Well I have Doyle 2.0 on its way for my own birthday as well. I already own the Eofauna Trike but still decided to get Doyle 2.0, especially because they do respresent different species after all. I like that figure a lot, but I don't feel it displays very well next to my PNSO figures, unfortunately.

Back on topic: I'm very much looking forward to in hand pictures of the Styracosaurus. It has the potential to be the best ceratopsian from PNSO yet.

Lynx

I am concerned as to what the Acro will look like, and the coloration. Somehow, I think it would be kind of peachish light brown coloration, or something like the Iguanodon
An oversized house cat.

SRF

Quote from: Lynx on January 19, 2022, 12:31:22 PM
I am concerned as to what the Acro will look like, and the coloration. Somehow, I think it would be kind of peachish light brown coloration, or something like the Iguanodon

If the color pattern of the Acrocanthosaurus is about the same as on their Allosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus, it will probably be an easy pass for me.

Lynx

Quote from: SRF on January 19, 2022, 01:07:26 PM
Quote from: Lynx on January 19, 2022, 12:31:22 PM

If the color pattern of the Acrocanthosaurus is about the same as on their Allosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus, it will probably be an easy pass for me.

I would not mind that much if it was in those patterns, as I don't have those two figures, but I'd much rather have something like the Pinacosaurus with coloration based off a reptile or bird.
An oversized house cat.

SenSx

Yea for the Acro I'd prefer colors similar to the Iguanodon or the Olorotitan, but I'd buy it regardless if the sculpt and pose are good.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: SenSx on January 19, 2022, 03:33:14 PM
but I'd buy it regardless if the sculpt and pose are good.

With all this hype, I'm imagining them releasing an Acrocanthosaurus with the same pose as the Papo Giga ;D
Check out my customs thread!

Duck

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 19, 2022, 03:44:59 PM
Quote from: SenSx on January 19, 2022, 03:33:14 PM
but I'd buy it regardless if the sculpt and pose are good.

With all this hype, I'm imagining them releasing an Acrocanthosaurus with the same pose as the Papo Giga ;D
Biggest letdown of the year!
He who dwells in pond

SRF

The Styracosaurus is now listed in the PNSO stores on Amazon and AliExpress. Seems to have the same price as the Centrosaurus.

RobinGoodfellow

Centrosaurus:

(more pictures on my collection thread :  http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3228.msg310591#msg310591  )

:)

BlueKrono

PNSO seems anti-cheek now. The mouth just extends the whole length of the head.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Jose S.M.

I can't really tell if the Styracosaurus has cheeks or not. The poster has them if I'm not mistaken.

Duna

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 21, 2022, 10:37:43 AM
Centrosaurus:

(more pictures on my collection thread :  http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3228.msg310591#msg310591  )

Night and day ...  :o What has happened to the head colours?

Now I'm fearing that the one I decided to buy, the Styracosaurus, ends up looking like that ...  :-[

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Duna on January 21, 2022, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 21, 2022, 10:37:43 AM
Centrosaurus:

Night and day ...  :o What has happened to the head colours?

Now I'm fearing that the one I decided to buy, the Styracosaurus, ends up looking like that ...  :-[

The head:

-

Carnoking

I actually think those are some of the most promising in-hand images of the figure I've seen. Certainly doesn't look nearly as muddy as most of the other ones I've seen.

JohannesB

Quote from: Carnoking on January 21, 2022, 12:53:00 PM
I actually think those are some of the most promising in-hand images of the figure I've seen. Certainly doesn't look nearly as muddy as most of the other ones I've seen.

I concur. And the PNSO paint apps lately have a very natural look to them. I like to think they adhere to what I would call the 'scale-to-distance-to-color equation' (SDCE), where the small scale represents an animal that is seen from a distance, and distance equates to a certain fading of colors because of haze/atmospheric interference. I like my figures to be more on the 'muddy' side than on the brightly coloured side. (Even though I know that many avian dinosaurs are so extravagantly coloured that it is almost preposterous if one would not know otherwise ;D - but then again, very big birds are/were relatively drab and not very colourful). Just my thoughts, of course.

Abobo

Carnoking

Those photos aren't great but I'm thinking Anthony is looking pretty good from what I can tell.

Faelrin

Same here. I'll have a better idea if or when DinosNDragons does a review of it, or other images surface with better lighting, but that does seem a step up from what happened to the Centrosaurus, thankfully. Not 100% sure on the blending on the face, but still even in this harsh lighting it looks fine to me.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: