News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faras

The pleasure is all mine :)

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS Hmm seems the gap is about 1.3-1.5mm after measuring with callipers, sorry about wrong info o_O The issue is worse on Zhuchengtyrannus compared to Wilson or Gamba - there's a "hole" behind teeth. Doesn't bother me either as it's only visible up close :)

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy 6 broken figures reported. 430 pcs sold so far (75 comments), though no clue about how many buyers uses Baidu Tieba. Majority should've received deliveries by now (I live in remote areas of the country). Interestingly, a poster purchased two pcs and both have snapped teeth.

avatar_Sim @Sim First pic is closest to actual figure imo :) Yup green is lighter and no amber wash on actual figure, but yellow/light green has little fluorescent in person (Tieba pics were probably taken in cold light as colours look quite different). Feet of mine aren't as black, paint on teeth is slightly better than my Tarbo's (awful teeth tbh), though I can't vouch for other figures since paints could differ (especially on teeth). Hmm honestly pics often don't show real colours, so it's probably better to wait for a few vid reviews:)

Lanthanotus

Thanks for the detailed images, avatar_Faras @Faras.

The Zhuchengtyrannus is certainly an impressive sculpt, and the pose really stands out even if it is basically only this slighty raised foot. What I still can`t stand is that Mr Burns overbite with the exposed teeth. While my ecological background is certain about lips, even if theropods did not have them, the teeth could never ever been in one line with the outermost limits of the fleshed skull. Tissue and scales at the very least would made the teeth stand in a bit. Also, in all these theropod figures the mouth closes much too far in a way that the tip of the lower jaw comes to a rest behind the teeth of the upper jaw. But in fact, theropods could not close their mouth that far as the surangular is limited in its movement by the jugal bone, hence theropods would not have been able to close their mouth at all if they had had no "lips" (tissue analoguous to lips if you like). 

Skorpio V.

Yeah, this is practically perfect ;D The lime green is not a complete deal-breaker for me, nor is the lack of lips. It corrected and improved many of what was wrong or missing with Wilson (keratin on head, scale detail, lack of variation in paint), while not looking like a carbon copy.

One thing that does make me curious is the length of the tail. The Zhuchengtyrannus seems to be the same length as the Tyrannosaurus from the head to the body, but the tail is only what makes it shorter. I'm sure both lengths are reasonable for both genera and many nitpicks some people may go on to have wouldn't be commented on if we didn't have another similar figure to compare it to.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Sim on February 12, 2022, 07:16:58 PM
Photos showing a lighter colouration of the final figure and how the black is now all around its feet...

I'm very let down by how the Zhuchengtyrannus turned out.  I definitely think the Tarbosaurus is the best tyrannosaurid PNSO has made.  I was planning to get the Zhuchengtyrannus based on the pre-release photos of it but now I'm not sure I want it.  I prefer Favorite's Sinoceratops to PNSO's due to the weird big bifurcated horns on PNSO's so I'm definitely not getting PNSO's Sinoceratops and now it looks like I might prefer Favorite's Zhuchentyrannus to PNSO's too.  I hope PNSO releases another tyrannosaurid with a blackish colour scheme and an amber wash similar to their Zhuchengtyrannus prototype.  I like that colouration very much!

I like chalking up the dark feet to him stepping in mud. Dinosaurs didn't have time to care about cleaning their feet after a stroll around their floodplain.

As for the Sinoceratops, IIRC as many centrosaurines grew older their postorbital horns rounded out. It definitely does look more awesomebro on the Favorite co. version.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

SRF

I too am not a big fan of the green coloration of the Zhuchengtyrannus. It's not that big of a deal to me and I will still get it, but I do feel that the paint application and coloration is a downgrade compared to the prototype. That's nothing new since almost all PNSO figures released after the Parasaurolophus suffer from this issue, with a few exceptions. To me that makes Wilson still their best Tyrannosaur, although I'm also very fond of the (for PNSO) unique color scheme of the Tarbosaurus, however that one has common issues when it comes to the paint of the mouth and teeth.

Speaking of Tarbosaurus compared to Zhuchengtyrannus; I was wondering how likely it is that Zhuchengtyrannus' head would be more T. Rex like than that of Tarbosaurus? Zhuchengtyrannus is an older animal after all, so how would it be possible that it would have developed a wider head with probably a larger bite force than Tarbosaurus? Is it because it lived alongside a large ceratopsian species so it needed the bone crushing bite? Is anything hypothesised about this?
But today, I'm just being father

Psittacoraptor

I love the green, it makes the figure more desirable to me. Anything but brown. PNSO + brown is a combination I could do without for a while, haha. avatar_Faras @Faras ' photos put the Zhuchengtyrannus firmly on my wishlist.

Duna

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on February 13, 2022, 11:16:02 AM
I love the green, it makes the figure more desirable to me. Anything but brown. PNSO + brown is a combination I could do without for a while, haha. avatar_Faras @Faras ' photos put the Zhuchengtyrannus firmly on my wishlist.
Agree. It's a nice thing it didn't ended up looking brown again or too dark. That green is really nice.

By the way, both Museum line Triceratops and Iguanodon are on sale now on Aliexpress PNSO official store, 10€ discount of its normal price (which is quite great). I've been watching the iguanodon since it came out and this is the price I was waiting for.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations for your zhuchengtyrannus sincerely, both that and the PNSO tarbosaurus are superior in quality to its tyrannosaurus Wilson counterpart.

Honestly, I really like its hints of greenish color and it is superior to its counterpart Zhuchentyrannus from Favorite both in its sculpture and in its color and much more realistic. PNSO has done a fabulous job.

JohannesB

Quote from: Duna on February 13, 2022, 12:19:44 PM
By the way, both Museum line Triceratops and Iguanodon are on sale now on Aliexpress PNSO official store, 10€ discount of its normal price (which is quite great). I've been watching the iguanodon since it came out and this is the price I was waiting for.

About sales, now that their museum line Stegosaurus set comes with a 20% discount, I finally made the jump on that figure 8)

(Sorry for going off-topic.)

Sim

avatar_Faras @Faras, thanks for your response to my post.  Something I'd like to tell you and avatar_SRF @SRF is that regarding the teeth of the PNSO Tarbosaurus, the first PNSO Tarbo I got had some poor painting on a few of its teeth.  I bought another, that was from a newer batch based on the poster and booklet it came with, and its teeth were all painted well.  So it might be worth buying another if the paint of the teeth bother you.  The newer Tarbo has slightly less contrast in its snout markings but it is painted very well, better than the first Tarbo, and I'm very happy with it.

Flaffy

Quote from: Mattyonyx on February 10, 2022, 12:35:52 PM
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy here's the video, pictures at 17:35.
avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx Thank you! ^-^

Quote from: Faras on February 12, 2022, 07:46:17 PM
avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy 6 broken figures reported. 430 pcs sold so far (75 comments), though no clue about how many buyers uses Baidu Tieba. Majority should've received deliveries by now (I live in remote areas of the country). Interestingly, a poster purchased two pcs and both have snapped teeth.
avatar_Faras @Faras Thanks again for providing this useful data! Judging by the low (reported) number of breakages, I assume the teeth issue is the exception rather than the norm.

SRF

Thanks for that info avatar_Sim @Sim but I don't really need a second Tarbosaurus in my collection, especially since it will cost me 25% more now than when I purchased it.

However I am curious how your newer Tarbosaurus looks. Do you have any pictures of it?

SRF

By the way PNSO sure is taking their time to make the Zhuchentyrannus globally available. Normally it would be available within a few days, but now it's over a week. The Spinosaurus repaint isn't yet available in their AliExpress/Amazon store as well.

Faras

My pleasure and thanks for the congratulations :)

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy yw :) Yup 7 reported atm, seems chance for teeth issue is similar to random cuts on Wilson/Allosaurus, broken hair on old Triceratops, lopsided jaws on Spinosaurus etc.

avatar_Sim @Sim So seems they may do paint upgrades later. From what I know the T. rex baby came out with unpainted teeth, in later batches the teeth are painted. Hmm I'll pass on second Tarbo as I'm running out of space, thanks for the info though :)

avatar_SRF @SRF Hmm think Zhuchentyrannus was produced before Spring festival (holiday ended on 7th, released at 9:00am on 9th), maybe they didn't expect it to sell well (442 pcs+) domestically.

CityRaptor

There is also the Winter Olympics right now.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SRF

avatar_Faras @Faras since it represents the Chinese equivalent of T. Rex, I can imagine that Zhuchentyrannus is probably one of the most popular species in China? That could indeed mean that global sales will only start up after a new production run is finished?

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 14, 2022, 08:58:54 AM
There is also the Winter Olympics right now.

I know, but I don't see how and why that would affect the distribution and sales of products that are not in any way related to the Olympics?

CityRaptor

People are probably watching the Olympics instead of working?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

JohannesB

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 14, 2022, 12:33:22 PM

Imagine that: "Well, boss, I'd rather watch this game for my own pleasure then serve those 60 people who are waiting to get served right now" :P

SRF

My country does well in the Olympics and occasionally I watch some of the ice skating competitions during work hours even together with my colleagues, but that's not a reason not to be at work or just do what I'm paid for.

And since there are almost no visitors at all the venues, it's not the big event it would be without the pandemic either.

Faras

avatar_SRF @SRF Hmm Chinese collectors are slightly more enthusiastic for Zhucheng compare to arbo, North American species tend to be more popular in general. But yeah they might not have extra stock for global market yet.

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 14, 2022, 12:33:22 PM

Most employers wouldn't accept that excuse :P Popular things like short track skating usually start after 6-7pm +8GMT. Recordings of all past games can be found on several platforms (just need to dl app on TV or cast from phone) during the Olympics.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: