News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Is this true for China's local time?

But even without the Olympics, there are still delivery issues due to the pandemic.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SRF

avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor the pandemic didn't seem to affect PNSO's supply chain in the past year. The Styracosaurus was available in their Amazon/AliExpress store only three days after the reveal. That was 4 weeks ago.
But today, I'm just being father

Faras

avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor Yep I'm Chinese. Being watching Olympics for a while, finals of popular stuffs often take place in the evening.

There's no pandemic in most parts of the country, international transportation might affect global market, but as SRF said previous releases weren't affected.

Dinoguy2

Yeah, labor shortages seem to be mostly impacting stuff that gets shipped in big containers for mass distribution. I've ordered a couple things from China the past year that were sent by standard post and there's been no delay. I wonder how much Amazon orders when they get their stock.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Faras on February 14, 2022, 08:44:32 AM
My pleasure and thanks for the congratulations :)

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy yw :) Yup 7 reported atm, seems chance for teeth issue is similar to random cuts on Wilson/Allosaurus, broken hair on old Triceratops, lopsided jaws on Spinosaurus etc.

avatar_Sim @Sim So seems they may do paint upgrades later. From what I know the T. rex baby came out with unpainted teeth, in later batches the teeth are painted. Hmm I'll pass on second Tarbo as I'm running out of space, thanks for the info though :)

avatar_SRF @SRF Hmm think Zhuchentyrannus was produced before Spring festival (holiday ended on 7th, released at 9:00am on 9th), maybe they didn't expect it to sell well (442 pcs+) domestically.

Are there really so few of us dinosaur figure collectors out there?  China has a huge population are 442 pieces sold considered a large sale number?   I guess I foolishly assumed a factory would require a minimum number of orders in the tens of thousands to justify all the tooling up to make a production run.  I know molds are expensive but I also know that they wear out over time.  I'm thinking I might've overestimated the number of figures that get produced in a run.  Does anyone know what types of numbers a big company like PNSO orders from a factory run?

I apologize, I meant to thank you earlier for posting all those wonderful images.  Thank you for taking the time to do that :)

LBDINO

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on February 14, 2022, 05:57:43 PM
https://youtu.be/GS3OMifXCaM

great video and great info!!

Its a great looking figure makes me want an updated Winter Wilson, Without the huge scales and a great pose. I never liked how it leaned forward made it look small. Want something dynamic in a imposing pose showing off its mass and size.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on February 14, 2022, 05:57:43 PM
https://youtu.be/GS3OMifXCaM

Wonderful video, thank you for posting this!  I like how at 15.45 into the video he validates something I wrote here 4 days ago...

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 10, 2022, 05:40:27 PM
I don't own Andrea but to me, I would pair this Zhuchengtyrannus with Andrea.  Aren't the larger birds of prey descendants of these animals?  Doesn't reverse sexual dimorphism exhibit itself in these species?  IDK, but it seems to me that this Zhuchengtyrannus would be a more adequate mate for Andrea if seen as a male T-rex.

I just makes sense that if the legs can be attributed to variation in size between individuals of the same species and that with his brighter and more colorful appearance Zhuchengtyrannus is the better mate for Andrea than Wilson especially if reverse sexual dimorphism is believed to have manifested itself in T-Rex.  I previously had no intention of buying Andrea because of her awkward leg positioning but now that Zhuchengtyrannus is coming out I might have to consider getting her just to pair the two of them together.  Zhuchengtyrannus, Logan, and Andrea could make an interesting diorama with some nice vegetation an maybe a few bones laying near Andrea.

I think I might've misunderstood what he's saying in the video.  It seems to me like he concludes that the difference in the fossa from T-rex implies that Zhuchengtyrannus' head would've been more like Tarbosaurus or perhaps even Tarbosaurus?  But then he also says that the interior section that would've confirmed that the similarity to Tarbosaurus is missing.  TIA for any clarification you guys can provide :) 

CARN0TAURUS

To me it sounds like he starts the video by saying he's a bit uncomfortable with a model of a dinosaur based on such a small amount of fossil materiel some of which is not even known to belong with the skull.

Faras

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS The pleasure is all mine, thank you  :)

Yeah model collecting is a niche hobby, and only handful of collectors are interested in dino.  Total sales of 25-30 figures went over 400 in domestic market (probably only 20 got tooling cost back). IMO PNSO probably order 200-500 pcs (maybe ~1000 for big guys like T. rex and Triceratops) based on estimated popularity to balance storage and extra runs costs, as some figures got 2-3 runs at 500-700.

avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection Great video, explanation of anatomy is marvelous, thanks for the effort!

Flaffy

I don't think there's any concrete evidence for sexual dimorphism for Tyrannosaurus at the moment. Simply due to the fact that we can't sex a vast majority of Tyrannosaurus specimens with confidence. So any theories about "reverse sexual dimorphism" (whatever that means?) are speculation at best.

As for extant "birds of prey", they are no closer to any non-avian theropod dinosaur than your average chicken, or any extant avialian for that matter. While "birds of prey" and Tyrannosaurus are both theropod dinosaurs, it does not make Tyrannosaurus a direct ancestor of the former*. It's important to remember than evolution is not a linear process.

*"birds of prey" are not a taxonomic group.

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 14, 2022, 07:43:53 PM
To me it sounds like he starts the video by saying he's a bit uncomfortable with a model of a dinosaur based on such a small amount of fossil materiel some of which is not even known to belong with the skull.
Interesting thing to point out specifically for Zhuchengtyrannus, since PNSO has made models of species with equally scant remains.

SRF

Like DinosDragons states in his video, Wilson really represented the pinnacle of paint quality of PNSO's Tyrannosaurs, especially on the head. The coloration of the inside of the mouth of the Zhuchengtyrannus is quite a downgrade compared to Wilson and it's also worse than than on the Tarbosaurus and Andrea. And I've never seen PNSO theropods with such sloppy painted finger claws.  :o

The sculpt of the Zhuchengtyrannus however really is amazing. The general coloration of the figure also looks better to me in the than on the photos we've seen earlier.

Dinoburger

Dang, was hoping for a new PNSO release today. Maybe next Monday.

Hoping to see some pterosaurs from them this year. Maybe some of the bigger raptors with feathers...fingers crossed.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on February 14, 2022, 01:32:59 PM
avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor the pandemic didn't seem to affect PNSO's supply chain in the past year. The Styracosaurus was available in their Amazon/AliExpress store only three days after the reveal. That was 4 weeks ago.

It does seem like  Zhuchengtyrannus is taking longer to come out.

SRF

Quote from: Flaffy on February 14, 2022, 07:56:43 PM
I don't think there's any concrete evidence for sexual dimorphism for Tyrannosaurus at the moment. Simply due to the fact that we can't sex a vast majority of Tyrannosaurus specimens with confidence. So any theories about "reverse sexual dimorphism" (whatever that means?) are speculation at best.

As for extant "birds of prey", they are no closer to any non-avian theropod dinosaur than your average chicken, or any extant avialian for that matter. While "birds of prey" and Tyrannosaurus are both theropod dinosaurs, it does not make Tyrannosaurus a direct ancestor of the former*. It's important to remember than evolution is not a linear process.

*"birds of prey" are not a taxonomic group.

Exactly this. We only know of more robust and more gracile morphotypes of T. Rex that may or may not indicate sexual dimorphism. By giving their figures human names, PNSO assigns the robust morphotype to females and the more gracile one to males. Compared to Andrea, the Zhuchengtyrannus maybe could work as a "male" T. Rex, but as a younger individual at best. When it comes to the shape of the head, body and the coloration, Wilson makes a better fit as a T. Rex of the gracile morph next to the robust Andrea than the Zhuchentyrannus does.

Thialfi

Quote from: Dinoburger on February 15, 2022, 12:12:58 AM
Dang, was hoping for a new PNSO release today. Maybe next Monday.

Hoping to see some pterosaurs from them this year. Maybe some of the bigger raptors with feathers...fingers crossed.

Well, technically there is a new release today..

SidB

Suspect that I won't be able to afford this one - maybe one of you folks?

Thialfi

Strangely enough, at $9999 that's a pass for me

SRF

That statue was already available for purchase at the start of this year, it was discussed in the first pages of this topic as well.

But yeah, at this price it is still a pass for me as well.  :P

Thialfi

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: