News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Found a repaint of the Zhuchengtyrannus on chinese social media, wanted to share:

More pictures:
Spoiler

[close]

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Thialfi on February 15, 2022, 08:50:41 AM
Quote from: Dinoburger on February 15, 2022, 12:12:58 AM
Dang, was hoping for a new PNSO release today. Maybe next Monday.

Hoping to see some pterosaurs from them this year. Maybe some of the bigger raptors with feathers...fingers crossed.

Well, technically there is a new release today..

This sculpture concerns me a bit.  At 1/10 it should be bigger than a Mattel Colossal T-rex, correct?  IMO much too big for a home and not big enough for a lobby in a museum or a private business.  I'm trying to calculate in my mind what the dinosaur by itself weighs and I'm thinking a hollow bronze piece that size weighs 65-90Kg?  The base would have to weigh double that to keep from being top heavy.  So total weight around 300Kg?  It's own weight makes it exceedingly fragile but in addition to that the pose is borderline inappropriate for something that heavy. With only one small point of contact PNSO is really pushing the fragility of the sculpt to almost unacceptable levels.  IMO even with two feet down it might still require support.  This thing looks like a disaster waiting to happen.   

Then there's the question of what it's supposed to be doing?  Is it leaping or running and why is it roaring while it runs or jumps.  Try running and howling at the same time, it's much more effective to come to a stop and stand still if you want to project the sound more efficiently.  Perhaps it's trying to catch a bird?  IDK but at 10k even if I could afford this I don't think I would consider it if for no other reason is that it's inferior to what PNSO is producing at 1/35.  I'm not a huge fan of the way Wilson 2.0 was posed but even that pose would be better than this.  The best posed dinosaur is of course the PNSO Tarbosaurus.  A T-rex statue with that pose at that size would be amazing.

ceratopsian

That is a beautiful repaint of the Zhuchengtyrannus.  That black/white polished stone base sets it off very well too!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Flaffy on February 15, 2022, 03:23:09 PM
Found a repaint of the Zhuchengtyrannus on chinese social media, wanted to share:

More pictures:
Spoiler

[close]

That looks really nice!  I love the changes to the body and the inside of the mouth!  IMO it's an improvement over the factory paint.  The only thing I don't like is the area around the eyes and the crest not having a brighter warm contrasting color like some type orange, yellow or red.

BlueKrono

avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus Do you own any bronze statues? Fragility would be the least of my concerns. Sure, it's heavy (and expensive) which is probably why they're only making six, but that stuff is practically indestructible. There are bronze statues that have lasted for thousands of years.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SRF

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 15, 2022, 04:08:14 PM
avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus Do you own any bronze statues? Fragility would be the least of my concerns. Sure, it's heavy (and expensive) which is probably why they're only making six, but that stuff is practically indestructible. There are bronze statues that have lasted for thousands of years.

Indeed. If an almost life sized bronze statue like this can last since 1782, I don't think the fragility of this T. Rex statue should cause concerns.

But today, I'm just being father

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 15, 2022, 04:01:23 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on February 15, 2022, 03:23:09 PM

More pictures:
Spoiler

[close]

That looks really nice!  I love the changes to the body and the inside of the mouth!  IMO it's an improvement over the factory paint.  The only thing I don't like is the area around the eyes and the crest not having a brighter warm contrasting color like some type orange, yellow or red.

That's about the same color scheme I did on my 1:1 Giga

I liked the idea of the blue as you see so much red/orange already on figures to call attention  to them. 

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on February 15, 2022, 04:17:38 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on February 15, 2022, 04:08:14 PM

Indeed. If an almost life sized bronze statue like this can last since 1782, I don't think the fragility of this T. Rex statue should cause concerns.

When I refer to fragility I'm referring to the single point of contact not the shell crumbling or falling apart.  I'm wondering if one point of contact is enough?

This old statue (alexander the great?) is a good example for what I'm referring to, it's a tripod, the horses' hind legs and the tail are all supports that lead into the anchor of the piece.  That statue has at least three points of contact from that view and despite the large overhang in the front (creating the illusion that it's magically floating in space) it's really well anchored.

Samrukia

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS it is Peter the Great (Пётр Великий, Пётр I), the statue is called the Bronze Horseman, mounted in St. Petersburg

sorry for offtopic

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: erlectric on February 15, 2022, 05:04:57 PM
avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS it is Peter the Great (Пётр Великий, Пётр I), the statue is called the Bronze Horseman, mounted in St. Petersburg

sorry for offtopic

I apologize, I actually knew about this statue before, I had a brain fart because I'm old.   We studied this sculpture in one of my art history courses in College back in the 1980s.  I didn't pay attention to the Cyrillic script on the stone which is a dead give away.  But it still makes my point, I still think the T-rex needs more points of contact.  If the entire foot was planted it would have a sizable shaft going thru the contact but it's on it's toes which means a very small area is taking all the weight.

BlueKrono

avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus You're right, it does look precarious, but I'd be willing to bet bronze casting has come a long way even in the past 300 years. You probably couldn't pull off this pose with anything but bronze, but being made in the 2020's I think these artists probably know what they're doing. I don't know what it looks like internally, but it's probably very strongly anchored at the foot, with a hollow cast body.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 15, 2022, 05:42:27 PM
avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus You're right, it does look precarious, but I'd be willing to bet bronze casting has come a long way even in the past 300 years. You probably couldn't pull off this pose with anything but bronze, but being made in the 2020's I think these artists probably know what they're doing. I don't know what it looks like internally, but it's probably very strongly anchored at the foot, with a hollow cast body.

Sometimes modern doesn't always mean it's made better.  Bronze casting is an art form, it's certainly possible that computer aided engineering has revolutionized the process in the last 30 years or so.  Perhaps improving the precision of molds and being able to better manipulate the thicknesses of the bronze in certain areas with deliberate precision.  But much will still come down to simple economics.  The quality or grade of the materials being used would be a lesser factor in a design that didn't put so much stress in such a small area.  Is PNSO using the highest grade materials?  It's possible, but my experience in metal work tells me that even a sculpture this size would cost more than 10k if it was made from top graded materials. 

SRF

The Zhuchengtyrannus is now available in the PNSO store on AliExpress and Amazon. Price is the same as for the Tarbosaurus and other theropods in the Prehistoric animal models line.

CarnotaurusKing

Why is it listed under women's footwear on Amazon?

SRF

Quote from: CarnotaurusKing on February 16, 2022, 10:48:57 AM
Why is it listed under women's footwear on Amazon?

Maybe that has anything to do with your search history?  :P

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: SRF on February 16, 2022, 12:15:11 PM
Maybe that has anything to do with your search history?  :P

I doubt it. The Tarbosaurus, for example, is listed under toys and models. And I'm neither a woman, nor a fan of footwear. Though it only appears as footwear on my phone, on PC the category doesn't appear.
It ain't a problem, it's just funny. If this is the future of fashion, I'm all for it.

SidB

Quote from: SRF on February 16, 2022, 09:39:13 AM
The Zhuchengtyrannus is now available in the PNSO store on AliExpress and Amazon. Price is the same as for the Tarbosaurus and other theropods in the Prehistoric animal models line.
Thanks for the alert, avatar_SRF @SRF, I just purchased one. The official store listed 8 as sold prior to my order, so they'll have plenty left, no doubt. Shipping is free too, of course.

CARN0TAURUS

Thanks for posting this!  I put it on my wishlist.  Now I just have to wait until it becomes a prime same day delivery item.  That usually takes another week or two.  If I buy it now I have to pay the additional $12 on amazon for shipping and it'll take longer to get to me than if I wait for prime status.  It's kind of weird how that works out.  I pay more now and wait till the end of March or I wait patiently and get it the first few days of March.  If I order it on alliexpress I'll also have to wait until end of March but at least they don't charge the extra $12.  I like how prime returns guarantee works so I'll stick with what I know and get it in next 2 weeks.

SRF

Quote from: SidB on February 16, 2022, 12:38:22 PM
Thanks for the alert, avatar_SRF @SRF, I just purchased one. The official store listed 8 as sold prior to my order, so they'll have plenty left, no doubt. Shipping is free too, of course.

Now there are 31 copies sold and still 169 available. So they had 200 pieces in stock.

I've decided to wait a bit before I purchase this figure. With the VAT charges for the EU, the Zhuchengtyrannus is pushing the limits of what I'm willing to pay for a figure like this. I definitely like it, but not so much that I have to pay 40% more for it than I did last year for the Tarbosaurus. I'm not sure when there will be a sale like last month when I picked up the Triceratops, but I'll probably only pick this one up when a sale occurs. Also, with the new Rebor- and the rumoured GR Toys Rex coming up, I'm happy to wait to make my decision which ones to buy.

It's funny, because I would probably already have purchased the Zhuchentyrannus if it was immediately available after its reveal.  O:-)

SidB

Quote from: SRF on February 17, 2022, 12:24:13 PM
Quote from: SidB on February 16, 2022, 12:38:22 PM

Now there are 31 copies sold and still 169 available. So they had 200 pieces in stock.

I've decided to wait a bit before I purchase this figure. With the VAT charges for the EU, the Zhuchengtyrannus is pushing the limits of what I'm willing to pay for a figure like this. I definitely like it, but not so much that I have to pay 40% more for it than I did last year for the Tarbosaurus. I'm not sure when there will be a sale like last month when I picked up the Triceratops, but I'll probably only pick this one up when a sale occurs. Also, with the new Rebor- and the rumoured GR Toys Rex coming up, I'm happy to wait to make my decision which ones to buy.

It's funny, because I would probably already have purchased the Zhuchentyrannus if it was immediately available after its reveal.  O:-)
I've sort of created an unusual position for myself by my purchasing strategy. I know that these figures aren't inexpensive, but they've become relatively affordable to me by my choice , a choice that I stick to quite rigorously, to by-pass most of the new figures that come available from various lines, except the PNSO's and Safari's, by and large. I end up buying a lot less figures than I used to, but am enjoying the ones that I do buy a whole lot more. Quality over quantity.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: