News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Guys, I've been studying my missing teeth Zhuchengtyrannus while I wait for my replacement and I've noticed a few things that I find kind of interesting.

1)  I think PNSO has started using more complex slide molding techniques.  I think Zhuchengtyrannus is the first of the larger theropods to have the arms molded in place.  Looking at Gamba, Tarbosaurus, Paul, and Connor all in person I can see the seams where the arms were added to the torso with adhesive before painting.  Then I looked at close up images of Wilson and the other tyrannosaur PNSO models and ALL of them appear to have the arms added except for maybe Logan.  Logan seems to have his arms molded on too but he's quite a bit smaller than these other figures.  The arms on Zhuchengtyrannus splay out a bit perhaps due to limitations of molding and to allow removal from the mold?  I still think his arms look really good and natural something that PNSO really really excels at but he's definitely opening his arms almost in a display type pose.  The other PNSO theropods arms are tucked back in very believable traveling poses.

2) Zhuchengtyrannus has very large feet, we thought that the Tarbosaurus had big feet for it's size but this one has proportionally larger feet than the Tarbo.  I wonder how his foot measures up to Wilson's because his toes are not as splayed out as Wilson's but the foot looks to be about the same size.  If anyone has both of them can you confirm if Zhuchengtyrannus has comparable feet to Wilson?  By comparison my Gamba is longer than Zhuchentyrannus but about 1.5cm shorter in height, yet his foot is tiny compared to Zhuchentyrannus it's about 6mm shorter from heel to tip of the nail and volume wise it looks to be almost 40% smaller!   It's a significant size difference considering that the models are of a comparable size.

3)  where is the pelvic boot?  Zhuchengtyrannus has very "slim" contour in the belly area.  I'm not saying that it's wrong or disproportionate because I don't know that to be the case but certainly that part of his anatomy doesn't jut out or down as much as it does on the other theropods I own.  It's definitely there it's just not as pronounced.  His upper thigh area dwarfs even my chubbysaurus' thighs.  It wouldn't surprise me if Zhuchengtyrannus' thighs are bigger than Wilson's.

4)  Again going off of images of Wilson, Wilson rearmost upper skull seems to line up above the hinge of the jaw.  Meaning Wilson's eye is further back and closer to being above the hinge.  On Zhuchengtyrannus the jaw hinge is a lot further back and top rearmost part of the upper skull is quite a bit forward of the hinge meaning that Zhuchengtyrannus' eye is well forward of the hinge of his jaw.  Again, I don't know about accuracy or whatever and I'm only pointing it out because it's a significant difference when I look at my Zhuchentyrannus compared to images of Wilson's head.

Please don't interpret these observations as critizisms they are only observations as I absolutely love this figure, I cannot recommend this figure enough it is absolutely gorgeous, it's the best tyrannosaur figure I've ever seen in person (I don't own Wilson).  It so pleasing to the eye, everything from the color to the pose, it's just a beautiful figure!

CARN0TAURUS

I have a question for those of you that have all or most of the PNSO theropods.   In person and in hand, what's your favorite in terms of paint colors and camouflage?  I currently own Gamba, Paul, Connor, Tarbosaurus, and Zhuchentyrannus.  I can't decide which one has the best combination of color/camouflage scheme.  I know that Gamba is probably my least favorite in regards to the stripes, the rest of the paintwork is really nice, I wish they hadn't added the stripes.  Tarbosaurus is beautiful but has a very plain look and I love the scheme on Connor but the grey is kind of boring.  So for me it's a toss up between the new Zhuchentyrannus and Paul.  I'm leaning towards Zhuchentyrannus probably due to recency bias?  IDK, I think Paul is fantastic too.

I don't have him but I think one of the best looking ones might be the Qianzhousaurus (A-Shu) model.  Even tho I'm not very familiar with that species I'm considering buying him just for the paintwork alone.  Unfortunately, I think he's way out of scale with my other theropods and also suffers from popcorn ceiling skin but those colors and the camo patterns just look so darn good on photos.  Perhaps too good to resist.  I guess I'm trying to talk myself into buying another PNSO theropod while the 8% coupon is available on prime ;)

I don't find the Wilson and Domingo colors appealing at all, despite the popcorn ceiling skin I might consider buying one of them if it weren't for the brown on brown color schemes.

Dromaenychus

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 03, 2022, 04:50:33 PM
Guys, I've been studying my missing teeth Zhuchengtyrannus while I wait for my replacement and I've noticed a few things that I find kind of interesti

2) Zhuchengtyrannus has very large feet, we thought that the Tarbosaurus had big feet for it's size but this one has proportionally larger feet than the Tarbo.  I wonder how his foot measures up to Wilson's because his toes are not as splayed out as Wilson's but the foot looks to be about the same size.  If anyone has both of them can you confirm if Zhuchengtyrannus has comparable feet to Wilson?  By comparison my Gamba is longer than Zhuchentyrannus but about 1.5cm shorter in height, yet his foot is tiny compared to Zhuchentyrannus it's about 6mm shorter from heel to tip of the nail and volume wise it looks to be almost 40% smaller!   It's a significant size difference considering that the models are of a comparable size.
Wilson and Zhuchengtyrannus feet are pretty much the same size, aside from Wilson's toes being more splayed out. Wilson's middle toe is like 0.5 mm wider, but that's about it.

Concavenator

Quote from: Faras on March 03, 2022, 12:11:46 PM
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator There's a Taobao sale starting on 4th (somehow it's smaller than last year tho), hope AliEspress would launch a matching sale.

Let's see.  8)

SRF

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS the Qianzhousaurus has indeed one of the most unique and interesting color schemes. It's definitely along my favorites in that department. I do appreciate the colors of the Tarbosaurus a lot as well, since it deviates the most of the more common brown and striped color schemes, making it a unique specimen.

On the other hand, the earlier theropods from PNSO didn't suffer yet of repetitiveness, so I do like the colors on those figures a lot as well, especially on Winter Wilson and their 2020 Spinosaurus.
But today, I'm just being father

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on March 03, 2022, 08:41:46 PM
avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS the Qianzhousaurus has indeed one of the most unique and interesting color schemes. It's definitely along my favorites in that department. I do appreciate the colors of the Tarbosaurus a lot as well, since it deviates the most of the more common brown and striped color schemes, making it a unique specimen.

On the other hand, the earlier theropods from PNSO didn't suffer yet of repetitiveness, so I do like the colors on those figures a lot as well, especially on Winter Wilson and their 2020 Spinosaurus.

Does it look as good in person as it does on photos?

Carnoking

Well, it would seem my luck was in here! What an incredible offering. For the first time in recent memory, I feel no regret over paying full price for one of PNSO's figures.

Bokisaurus

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS glad you got a new and perfect one! I just received mine and is agree, this model is exquisite! I just love it and beautiful colors and details all around!
It's so great to see the tyrannosaurus next to each other and see the subtle differences.
I also just got the Tsintaosaurus another impressive model despite its smaller size.
😃

Bokisaurus

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 03, 2022, 05:49:00 PM
I have a question for those of you that have all or most of the PNSO theropods.   In person and in hand, what's your favorite in terms of paint colors and camouflage?  I currently own Gamba, Paul, Connor, Tarbosaurus, and Zhuchentyrannus.  I can't decide which one has the best combination of color/camouflage scheme.  I know that Gamba is probably my least favorite in regards to the stripes, the rest of the paintwork is really nice, I wish they hadn't added the stripes.  Tarbosaurus is beautiful but has a very plain look and I love the scheme on Connor but the grey is kind of boring.  So for me it's a toss up between the new Zhuchentyrannus and Paul.  I'm leaning towards Zhuchentyrannus probably due to recency bias?  IDK, I think Paul is fantastic too.

I don't have him but I think one of the best looking ones might be the Qianzhousaurus (A-Shu) model.  Even tho I'm not very familiar with that species I'm considering buying him just for the paintwork alone.  Unfortunately, I think he's way out of scale with my other theropods and also suffers from popcorn ceiling skin but those colors and the camo patterns just look so darn good on photos.  Perhaps too good to resist.  I guess I'm trying to talk myself into buying another PNSO theropod while the 8% coupon is available on prime ;)

I don't find the Wilson and Domingo colors appealing at all, despite the popcorn ceiling skin I might consider buying one of them if it weren't for the brown on brown color schemes.

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS this is an interesting question and I think you should just make a separate thread specifically just for this.
It warrants sharing and photos on its own without derailing this thread.
If you make one I would be happy to share some comparisons 😃 since I have I think all of the theropods from PNSO.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 04, 2022, 04:29:24 AM
avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS glad you got a new and perfect one! I just received mine and is agree, this model is exquisite! I just love it and beautiful colors and details all around!
It's so great to see the tyrannosaurus next to each other and see the subtle differences.
I also just got the Tsintaosaurus another impressive model despite its smaller size.
😃

I did get a good one today, the teeth are perfect, the tail is perfect, the claws are painted properly, it's not sticky or smelly either.

So, something funny happened, I compared the new one side by side with smelly toothless and toothless has better oberall paintwork, especially on the head.  The new one has two tiny paint chips one on the thigh and one on the other side on his head but that's not why the paintwork is less.  He's lighter than the first one with less definition, the stripes on the tail almost look faded, and the head lacks the subtle complexity of toothless especially around snout, around the eyes, and on the upper lower jaw area the new one lacks the light lipstick shading.  One eye on the new one is looking down and the crest is very lightly colored with very faded orange and doesn't stand out like on toothless.  Already today I can tell toothless is less sticky and smelly, I think his paint is curing.  I'm almost tempted to keep him instead because the upper snout area is painted so much better than on the new one.  I think my replacement might be from a second production run.  Aren't you guys always saying that the paint is better on the first production batches?

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Carnoking on March 04, 2022, 12:57:38 AM

Well, it would seem my luck was in here! What an incredible offering. For the first time in recent memory, I feel no regret over paying full price for one of PNSO's figures.

What a fantastic model of a tyrannosaur, congratulations on your copy it looks fantastic!

Flaffy

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 04, 2022, 04:49:48 AM
😃

I did get a good one today, the teeth are perfect, the tail is perfect, the claws are painted properly, it's not sticky or smelly either.

So, something funny happened, I compared the new one side by side with smelly toothless and toothless has better oberall paintwork, especially on the head.  The new one has two tiny paint chips one on the thigh and one on the other side on his head but that's not why the paintwork is less.  He's lighter than the first one with less definition, the stripes on the tail almost look faded, and the head lacks the subtle complexity of toothless especially around snout, around the eyes, and on the upper lower jaw area the new one lacks the light lipstick shading.  One eye on the new one is looking down and the crest is very lightly colored with very faded orange and doesn't stand out like on toothless.  Already today I can tell toothless is less sticky and smelly, I think his paint is curing.  I'm almost tempted to keep him instead because the upper snout area is painted so much better than on the new one.  I think my replacement might be from a second production run.  Aren't you guys always saying that the paint is better on the first production batches?

They're decreasing paint quality already? The figure only just released! :-\

SRF

Well it's March 4 but there's no sign yet of a sale on AliExpress. Normally when a sale is coming, it's also announced in their app but I see no such thing at the moment.

Hopefully there will be one soon. At the moment prices are going up quite rapidly for us Europeans, since all prices are set in USD and converted to prices in euros. With everything going on in Europe right now, the exchange rate isn't favoring the Euro. On top of that the VAT charges rise as well since that is a percentage (21% in my case) of the converted price.

It's a shame, because that Zhuchengtyrannus is looking awesome, despite the fact we can't say anything meaningfull about its accuracy.

EDIT the sale is now announced and will start in less than 3 days. However, the discounts aren't as big as in recent sales. The discount on the Zhuchentyrannus is only around € 2,50 on the price with VAT included. The sale is only applied to the 2022 releases, the Zhuchengtyrannus, Styracosaurus and the Centrosaurus. No sign of the Tsintaosaurus yet.
But today, I'm just being father

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on March 04, 2022, 08:14:06 AM
😃

Maybe the paint used on the first ones had curing problems it took too long or something so they altered it to work better for their production schedule ?  Thus wouldn't be a cutback really just an alteration in production.  Also since these are hand painted it does take time and individual variation is expected.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 04, 2022, 04:02:10 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on March 04, 2022, 08:14:06 AM
😃

[/quote]

Maybe the paint used on the first ones had curing problems it took too long or something so they altered it to work better for their production schedule ?  Thus wouldn't be a cutback really just an alteration in production.  Also since these are hand painted it does take time and individual variation is expected.

I think this is what happened, the person that painted smelly toothless was clearly more talented, it's obvious.  The paint is a lot more crisp, the fading is way netter, the dry brushing is better and overall there is less sloppiness in the teeth etc.  The one painting advantage that the new one has is the claws are painted better but even the feet are painted better on toothless.  The thing that bothers me tho is that whoever painted toothless put him in his box with missing teeth.  They had to have known the teeth were missing and they packaged it anyways :(

CARN0TAURUS

The difference in paint from one to the other surprised me a lot, now I'm going and watching the videos reviews and seeing how incredibly different those are as well.  Today I'll be dropping toothless off at the Amazon drop off but part of me feels a bit disappointed that his teeth were busted because he's clearly the better of the two paintwise.   I' e always been partial to good sculpts but I'm truly starting to appreciate why you guys make such a fuss out of the paintwork. 

Carnoking

The PNSO Tsintaosaurus has arrived!

A gorgeous figure indeed. But I think it's the nail in the coffin for the Museum Line. I'll give them credit for going the extra mile with the paint job here, but on such a small figure, it still makes it hard to stomach the price.

Spoiler

Here it is with the Iguanodon. They're the same price but the Tsintaosaurus is clearly the better painted of the two. That being said, the Iguanodon is still bigger. If The Tsintaosaurus kept the size with the paint job, it might be more worth it.

[close]

Spoiler

Here it is alongside some larger 42 dollar, or even 38 dollar figures. Sure, the paint might be a little better on the Museum Line Tsintaosaurus, but 18 dollars or more better? Not so much.

[close]

Spoiler

60 dollars vs 23 dollars. Yeah, this one's a little more noticeable.

[close]

There's a nice group shot for you!

Gwangi

Thanks for posting those, especially the comparisons to the other hadrosaurs. I was not expecting it to be that small. It's an excellent figure of course but it passes the threshold of what I'm willing to pay for something of this quality. PNSO should really offer budget versions of these figures without the extras. 

John

The sizes of these models,including the Tsintaosaurus are always expicitly stated in the preview pics.I've known from the start it would be roughly the same size as the Lambeosaurus.The main difference here is that the Tsintaosaurus is more up to date than the other hadrosaurs in the line.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 04, 2022, 04:15:19 PM

I think this is what happened, the person that painted smelly toothless was clearly more talented, it's obvious.  The paint is a lot more crisp, the fading is way netter, the dry brushing is better and overall there is less sloppiness in the teeth etc.  The one painting advantage that the new one has is the claws are painted better but even the feet are painted better on toothless.  The thing that bothers me tho is that whoever painted toothless put him in his box with missing teeth.  They had to have known the teeth were missing and they packaged it anyways :(

I've seen the images from some of these factories, they have boxes of these figures beside them and just keep pulling them and painting them, after my 50th one for the day I might not notice the teeth much either I have to say.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: