News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

MONARCH: Legacy of Monsters (AppleTV+ Original)

Started by GojiraGuy1954, January 21, 2022, 08:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

In the wake of G-Day, who are the real monsters?

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters will be premiering on Apple TV+

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Over9K

Brocc21

Images reminiscent of the bridge scene. Flashback?
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

GojiraGuy1954

The show takes place during the '50s and the 2014 movie/just after the fact.

dragon53

MONARCH: LEGACY OF MONSTERS---director Matt Shakman said the Apple TV+ tv series starring Kurt Russell and Wyatt Russell will introduce new monsters, "One of the great things about this was the chance to create new Titans, new monsters to add to the Monsterverse. So, that's a part of it, using folks that we know and love from before is a part of it. I don't want to say too much so that you can be excited about what you see when you watch it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

The new ones are great, but I DO want the odd old monster tossed in.

Dynomikegojira

Well Im completely sold and Im loving the more serious tone.

Fembrogon

Let's hope we've got some solid writing to this series - and, of course, some familiar monster faces. It's not quite clear what the full span of time being covered is, but I'd like it if we at least saw some acknowledgement of established Monsterverse creatures, whether they're classic Toho (eg Rodan), or Warner original (eg Behemoth). Some "new" classic monsters alongside any creatures brand-new to this show would be a delightful surprise, too.

dragon53

MONARCH: LEGACY OF MONSTERS---new video released for the Apple TV+ Godzilla tv series.

LINK: https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1715485944344625532

dragon53

MONARCH: LEGACY OF MONSTERS---the chances of the Apple TV+ 10-episode miniseries returning for a Season 2 were discussed by executive producer Matt Fraction, "It wasn't designed as a limited series. We certainly love the characters and playing in the world. And if we are so lucky and so fortunate, I think we could keep going for as long as people want to keep watching, quite honestly. Yeah."
Showrunner Chris Black added, "I mean, it's kind of really up to the viewers and the fans. We hope that they respond to the story that, what we're telling, [and] that they'll want to see more. We had to sort of build this from the ground up as a TV series, as something that was going to go for 10 hours and hopefully, if we're lucky, two seasons, three seasons–whatever we're lucky enough to get."

Brocc21

Loved the show so far but I have a few issues:

Spoiler
The lore inconsistencies are quite annoying. In 2014 is was established that Monarch was founded specifically to study Godzilla. But Monarch lacks any mention of the USS Nautilus, the Soviets, or the several year long multinational search for Godzilla. The whole operation seems of a much smaller scale and Godzilla is no longer a central focus, he's just another big monster. Speaking of scale, the whole nuke scene (which I still thought was really cool all things considered) is way off. The amount of military and Monarch personnel we see seems far fewer than what was implied in 2014, though I can chock this up to budget. What doesn't make sense is how small Godzilla is. Comparing his size to the tower holding the bomb he only seems to be about 100 or so feet tall, which isn't indicative of growth or anything they just messed the scaling up. He was far larger in the 2014 footage (I also think this frame being the only good photo of Goji before 2014 is way cooler but that's just me). Castle Bravo itself is also way too small, being both inaccurate to real life and 2014. It looks almost like a conventional explosive. Going by the 2014 opening everyone on that beach should be dead.

I also think May is a rather pointless character. The actress does a good job but her existence in the story just doesn't feel justified. Cate, Ken, and Shaw all have personal investment in this mission, while she's basically just a tag along. Her techy skills could have easily been given to Ken, and Cate already serves as a confident female lead. Her romance subplot with Ken is also pretty pointless and only exists to take up time and draw attention away from what the audience really cares about. More conspiracies and monster action, less teenage love plots. Maybe time will tell idk.
[close]

I don't mean to be too negative as I have enjoyed the show (watched the first 3 episodes in one sitting) but I think these are things worth mentioning. Very excited for tomorrows episode. The Frost Vark is a very cool monster and it's great to see some more mammalian kaiju. And I love how it's ice powers work. Between this, Minus One, and the two new short films, G-Fans are eating good this year!

Brocc21

Blade-of-the-Moon

Dynomikegojira

Nyrorosaurus

Hey, look who made a cameo in the latest episode (albeit 20 years before the figure was actually released)

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on December 15, 2023, 03:14:29 AMHey, look who made a cameo in the latest episode (albeit 20 years before the figure was actually released)

Ahistorical Invicta Megalosaurus???? In MY Godzilla show??????????????

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: