You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Looking for Clear Support Rods

Started by Lynx, January 26, 2022, 04:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Recently, figures I have lost the support rods to (such as Winter Wilson) have foot warping issues. Currently, that figure specifically is balancing on a single toe and a mini dinosaur figure from Target. I'm in need of a support rod for him and several other figures of similar size. Is anyone here selling some, or knows a place I can buy it?
An oversized house cat.

paintingdinos

Search for "acrylic lollipop sticks". These should work just fine for most moderate to smaller sized models. Here's one on Amazon if you're in the US:

Acrylic Lollipop Sticks 6 Inch

If not in the US, probably baking supply or craft stores should have something similar.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Lynx on January 26, 2022, 04:28:24 PM
Recently, figures I have lost the support rods to (such as Winter Wilson) have foot warping issues. Currently, that figure specifically is balancing on a single toe and a mini dinosaur figure from Target. I'm in need of a support rod for him and several other figures of similar size. Is anyone here selling some, or knows a place I can buy it?

I'd be careful with using just any plastic rod available.  IDK, but the plastic could potentially react with your figure.  I wonder how much thought PNSO put into the type of plastic they used on their supports?  Craft stores sell stock of rods made of wood in a variety of gauges.  With a small amount white glue and a hobby saw you could quickly customize a "crutch" for wilson.  If the wood finish is not acceptable you can paint it black except where it contacts the figure.  But the ideal solution for wilson is probably to glue him onto a small thin (but stiff) wooden base that ends at the hind foot and extends past the front one to offer counterbalance.  From watching dinosdragons video he appears to balance on just his front foot so gluing the rear foot down would prevent him from warping any further because it creates a counter lever effect on the front foot, essentially pulling the figure back into an upright position.  As long as the glue on the rear foot holds onto the base there would be no more warping.  If you don't want to use glue you can use fishing line to loop one of the toes in his rear leg onto the base and then hide it with mud or vegetation.  The base is a great idea if you like wilson enough that you don't plan to ever sell him or remove him from the display for a long long time. 

CARN0TAURUS

Lynx, you should take a peak at mesozoicjohn's thread on his collection, he uses his table top wargaming experience by creating bases for toy soldiers on the dinosaurs and it looks amazing.  You don't need to spend crazy amounts on supplies or even on time.  A bit of lumber some white glue some CA glue and some paint, plus fake vegetation if you want to go all in like John did.  Here's the link to his thread.  The thing about gluing these guys on bases is that you are committing to customizing them a bit and you are moving away from looking at your figures as some for of "resell-able investment".  The investment then becomes in how much more enjoyment you can get out of them without worrying about them falling off shelfs and display cases damaging the finish etc...

Here is the link to John's thread, enjoy ;)

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10005.msg309770#msg309770

Lynx

Thank you both!
I am thinking of selling Wilson off if I like what I see with the final version of REBORs accurate rex, but I'll attempt to craft a base for some of my other unstable figures I care about more (such as some childhood toys I may get a repaint for).
I'm going to try buying some of those clear plastic rods and moulding one of them to be more curved as chest support, but won't be attaching it to the figure as I like bringing Wilson outside for photography.
A wood rod is a smart idea, though I am not great at working with wood. I'll give it a shot before making final judgements.
And I've seen the thread, it is wonderful! I don't really have the skill to make such bases, but I'll look into it.
An oversized house cat.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.