News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Tylosaurus vs PNSO Tylosaurus

Started by Strepsodus, January 28, 2022, 05:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strepsodus

once again, I am on the brink of having to decide between two good figures. I'm planning on getting Collecta's Mosasaurus, so getting the Safari Tylo to be closer in scale is a good point, but I can always use digital editing to get a scale picture for perspective. Also for me, scientific accuracy outweighs most things like scale and color scheme in my collection. I'm also going to get PNSO's Cretoxyrhina, and I have an abundance of Niobrara fauna that can scale with either one.

Safari

PNSO

GojiraGuy1954

PNSO's Tylo is more like Mosa than Tylo. Safari's is more accurate to Tylosaurus, but PNSO's is an incredibly accurate Mosasaurus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Antey

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 28, 2022, 06:05:45 PM
PNSO's Tylo is more like Mosa than Tylo. Safari's is more accurate to Tylosaurus, but PNSO's is an incredibly accurate Mosasaurus
It is interesting to hear the arguments in support of this point of view. In my opinion, Safari is an ordinary toy without pretensions.

Shonisaurus

Honestly, the PNSO tylosaurus is better finished, even if it is more expensive, it is better to invest in the PNSO one, although the Safari one is nice, the paint colors make the figure very tarnished, however it is also a great figure.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Antey on January 28, 2022, 06:38:57 PM
It is interesting to hear the arguments in support of this point of view. In my opinion, Safari is an ordinary toy without pretensions.
Tylosaurus was more serpentine, not bulky like Mosasaurus. Safari's also has the distinctive "knobs" on the skull that Tylosaurus is named for.

stargatedalek

I would say the PNSO is "an ordinary toy without pretensions". Those big seams make it look like a child's bath tub toy.

bmathison1972

Safari Ltd for the sculpt, but the Safari figure's painting is probably not realistic for a large marine predator.

EDIT: I have the Safari figure BTW

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 30, 2022, 07:18:38 PM
I would say the PNSO is "an ordinary toy without pretensions". Those big seams make it look like a child's bath tub toy.
LOL

Sim

I think mosasaurs being serpentine is outdated.  To me the bulk of the PNSO Tylosaurus looks fine for Tylosaurus.  The lack of toothless protrusions at the front of the mouth appears incorrect for Tylosaurus though.

Strepsodus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 30, 2022, 07:18:38 PM

LOL! I ordered Safari's Tylo. Should be arriving Day after tomorrow. Combining this one with Collecta's Mosasaurus and PNSO's Ectenosaurus, I've now got every Mosasaur figure out there. I hope for a Plotosaurus. Safari Ltd is a respectable brand, and it's figures shouldn't be dismissed as a child's toys.

Also is Tylosaurus named "knob lizard" because of the end of its snout?

TheCambrianCrusader

Yeah Tylosaurus is named for the "knob" at the end of the snout so for pnso to miss that is quite a big omission. I will say I imagine the bulk of the pnso is within reason for a Tylosaurus and the presence of lips is a godsend (people have to remember that mosasaurs are lizards not archosaurs!) but the seam line, price point, and lack of a knob at the end of the snout makes the safari version the preferable option.

Skorpio V.

I'm not too well-versed when it comes to marine reptiles; other than the fluke tail and integument were there any other cons to the Carnegie Tylosaurus? I kinda like its form factor.

Edited for Mis-genus-ing :P
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Strepsodus

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on January 30, 2022, 08:51:20 PM
Yeah Tylosaurus is named for the "knob" at the end of the snout so for pnso to miss that is quite a big omission. I will say I imagine the bulk of the pnso is within reason for a Tylosaurus and the presence of lips is a godsend (people have to remember that mosasaurs are lizards not archosaurs!) but the seam line, price point, and lack of a knob at the end of the snout makes the safari version the preferable option.

Thanks,and you make a good point. PNSO has had a couple of quality control problems (be it from seams or the head on Euhelopus coming off several times), but you'd think you wouldn't have to worry about such simple quality control on an expensive figure. Also to miss the very namesake of the creature is pretty bad for a "well researched" model.

Sim

Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 30, 2022, 09:40:43 PM
I'm not too well-versed when it comes to marine reptiles; other than the fluke tail and integument were there any other cons to the Carnegie Mosasaurus? I kinda like its form factor.

The Carnegie Mosasaurus or Tylosaurus?  Either way both lack a forked tongue which is believed to have been a feature of mosasaurs.

GojiraGuy1954

Non croc archosaurs should be given lips too

stargatedalek

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 31, 2022, 12:00:06 AM
More that it's a 100% guarantee that mosasaurs had lips, as opposed to a almost certainly, as in most dinosaurs.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Sim on January 30, 2022, 11:58:18 PM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 30, 2022, 09:40:43 PM
I'm not too well-versed when it comes to marine reptiles; other than the fluke tail and integument were there any other cons to the Carnegie Mosasaurus? I kinda like its form factor.

The Carnegie Mosasaurus or Tylosaurus?  Either way both lack a forked tongue which is believed to have been a feature of mosasaurs.

Whoops, yeah I meant the Carnegie Tylosaurus.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 31, 2022, 12:09:09 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 31, 2022, 12:00:06 AM
More that it's a 100% guarantee that mosasaurs had lips, as opposed to a almost certainly, as in most dinosaurs.
Yeah that's more what I meant lel.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.