News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Collection

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, February 18, 2022, 09:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Congrats, ^-^  you are very lucky to have got those figures for such a good price, they are way more expensive than that. And the condition is very good, those are very tiny marks that don't distort the beauty of them (I like the scar in the Ichthyosaurus too). For me the best figures of the collection are the Lambeosaurus, the Cetiosaurus, the Liopleurodon and the Itchyosaurus, and all of them in the unpainted version. They look superb. I would say my favourite is the Cetiosaurus, too. I even bought another one for my children to play with. They love it.

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_Duna @Duna Thank you for your kind comment! I totally agree on your top choices! I prefer the material on the unpainted figures over the painted ones but would love to get my hands on the painted version of the Ichthyosaur in the future also. I can imagine - it's got a great weight and grip to it and what a beautiful colour!  :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

Unlike some people on here selling their Carnegie Diplodocus due to the upcoming EoFauna release I have actually still been searching for one for a reasonable price for a long time (and am still missing the 2012 Brachiosaurus model :-\ ). Finally, maybe thanks to the above mentioned release, two auctions for them popped up simultaneously on eBay - both shipping from Germany. While the first auction surpassed my price limit I fortunately remained the only bidder on the second one and am now a proud owner of this colorful, gracile figure - just in time before his EoFauna sister will join him on the shelf (my desk in this case). I have already rearranged my desk display so there's space for latter and the GR Toys Dicraeosaurus which will be joining the VIP-section in the (hopefully near) future.  ^-^

My second new lovely addition is a much much smaller figure: the Schleich mini Ichthyosaurus (more like Ophthalmosaurus) from the "mini dinos with water hole puzzle" set (42330). I was able to pick this up locally. The detail on this mini figure is fantastic in my opinion, I like the color scheme a lot and in terms of scientific accuracy - well it's Schleich but it's not too bad and could also be a lot worse like they proved already many times before.  ;D

They both seem content with the spot they have been allocated to.  ;)

ceratopsian

Well done on the Carnegie auction. I for one am still keeping my Carnegie Diplodocus and remain very attached to it. I like the GR Dicraeosaurus. So much so that I have just ordered the green version to keep my brown one company. I don't very often buy two colour variants of the same model.

SidB

Congrats on these acquisitions, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , especially the classic Carnegie Diplodocus. Although the impending Eofauna one may surpass it in one respect or another, marginally, it remains a crowning accomplishment of its time and a testament to the skill of its sculptor and the impact of the old Carnegie line. I have one, as well as the beautiful Brachiosaurus. Perhaps if the line had stayed around a year or two longer, we would have received the anticipated Carnegie Apatosaurus. The Diplodocus remains as a wonderful memorial to the entire lineup.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 12, 2022, 01:15:58 PM
Well done on the Carnegie auction. I for one am still keeping my Carnegie Diplodocus and remain very attached to it. I like the GR Dicraeosaurus. So much so that I have just ordered the green version to keep my brown one company. I don't very often buy two colour variants of the same model.

Thank you! Good choice ;) While I do enjoy the all the newer models from Nanmu, GR Toys, PNSO (etc.) a lot for their hyperrealistic, detailed and modern look, they just don't radiate the same character and charm as the old, colorful Carnegie or Battat figures for me.
Thats exciting! How is the paint application? Did it come off very easily on yours or is everything still in good shape? I'm thinking about applying a clear coat to the figure but don't wanna temper too much with it either.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Thanks! I totally agree! I think they'll make a great pair and display together :)

Quote from: SidB on March 12, 2022, 01:22:13 PMPerhaps if the line had stayed around a year or two longer, we would have received the anticipated Carnegie Apatosaurus. The Diplodocus remains as a wonderful memorial to the entire lineup.

Wow, I didn't even know about about the Apatosaurus - was this a confirmed planned release or just hopes and desires of the community? S @SidB

Edit: On second thought it makes a lot of sense that there would have been planned a re-sculpt after the other two big sauropods got one  ;D ::)

ceratopsian

The brown Dicraeosaurus has an excellent paint application.  Just a tiny bit of sloppiness round the mouth - I don't think that's wear or rubbing but how originally applied.  However, I have hardly handled the model, other than to unpack it, sit it on the base, and then bring it upstairs.  It sits at my side on the bookshelves in the study, so the opportunity for paint coming off is very small.  Can't say about the green version yet!

Speaking of Battats, my Battat Diplodocus isn't going anywhere either!

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on March 12, 2022, 06:54:17 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on March 12, 2022, 01:15:58 PM

Thank you! Good choice ;) While I do enjoy the all the newer models from Nanmu, GR Toys, PNSO (etc.) a lot for their hyperrealistic, detailed and modern look, they just don't radiate the same character and charm as the old, colorful Carnegie or Battat figures for me.
Thats exciting! How is the paint application? Did it come off very easily on yours or is everything still in good shape? I'm thinking about applying a clear coat to the figure but don't wanna temper too much with it either.

Duna

Congrats on your new old adquisition. I like the Carnegie diplodocus a lot, I'm absolutely sure that if had one, I won't sell it. They would display perfectly as an older and a newer updated version. Same reason as I keep the Carnegie spinosaurus (one of my two only Carnegies).

Baryonyx

This is a great thread and a really nice collection! I like the mini ichthyosaurus, also as an owner of the Carnegie Diplodocus, I'm not getting rid of mine! The Eofauna will display well with it.

Can I ask how you've managed to find so many original Battats as a fellow European collector?

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on March 12, 2022, 07:13:19 PM
Thanks! I totally agree! I think they'll make a great pair and display together :)

Quote from: SidB on March 12, 2022, 01:22:13 PMPerhaps if the line had stayed around a year or two longer, we would have received the anticipated Carnegie Apatosaurus. The Diplodocus remains as a wonderful memorial to the entire lineup.

Wow, I didn't even know about about the Apatosaurus - was this a confirmed planned release or just hopes and desires of the community? S @SidB

Edit: On second thought it makes a lot of sense that there would have been planned a re-sculpt after the other two big sauropods got one  ;D ::)
Good question. I'd be tempted to say that it was a rumor amongst some DTF community members, but lurking in the back of my mind is the thought that I'd read about a conversation of a member with someone in the know (not sure if that was Forest Rogers). In any case, you're right, the Apato was next in line among the big, classic Carnegie sauropods to get a complete re-sculpt. The person to consult on this is our local Carnegie expert, D @Dinoguy2 .

Gwangi

Great score on the Carnegie Diplodocus. I have one too, it's one of my favorite sauropod and Carnegie figures. I have no intention of ever getting rid of it. In fact, unlike most, I probably won't get the EoFauna Diplodocus precisely because I already have the Carnegie one. It has that distinct personality unique to older figures that I'm not seeing with EoFauna's. Maybe I'll change my mind down the road but the Carnegie figure still isn't going anywhere.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

C9ngrats on your lovely acquisition. The Carnegie Diplodocus is a beautiful figure but I do not have space for two and and also don't like have that many figures of one animal anyway. Nor enough space for that. I do have the 2012 Carnegie Brachiosaurus still though.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Dinoguy2

Quote from: SidB on March 12, 2022, 10:18:18 PM
Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on March 12, 2022, 07:13:19 PM

Good question. I'd be tempted to say that it was a rumor amongst some DTF community members, but lurking in the back of my mind is the thought that I'd read about a conversation of a member with someone in the know (not sure if that was Forest Rogers). In any case, you're right, the Apato was next in line among the big, classic Carnegie sauropods to get a complete re-sculpt. The person to consult on this is our local Carnegie expert, D @Dinoguy2 .

Nothing was ever confirmed, but it was certainly heavily rumored to the point most people assumed it was coming. It would have made sense as they had remade both of the other large sauropods and Apatosaurus remained one of the only models to not even get so much as a repaint since 1990 (the other being Diplodocus, the first one remade). Even Brachiosaurus got a repaint in 2007. Forest Rogers also said in a PT interview that she was really wanting to remake Stegosaurus. I can't remember if she mentioned Apato in that interview or not.

Had Carnegie continued with the line, I'm sure they'd have remade all the old models eventually just like Safari has continued to do.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

TooOldForDinosaurs

Thanks for all your kind comments!

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Oh great! I'm kind of relieved then. I don't plan on handling mine too much either but I think DinoScreamReviews mentioned in his video that the paint comes off very easily which is why I was worried. Jealous of that Battat Diplo   ::)

avatar_Duna @Duna A beautiful figure as well! I really like the old school look of that Spino - since I myself am not that big of a theropod guy I never tried to acquire that model.  :)

avatar_Baryonyx @Baryonyx Thank you very much! I'm happy to hear you like the thread and my collection. To be quite frank they are my most pricey possessions and theres quite a bit of money displayed in those figures. I love them so much though that I do not regret spending one penny I spent on them (unlike cheaper CollectA figures that I don't like that much anymore). I got them all from US eBay sellers but tried to buy in bulk as far as possible. The first 4 Battats (Ouranosaurus, Amargasaurus, Gallimimus, Dilophosaurus) I got in a big lot of vintage dinos for a very good price with many Carnegies and some AAAs - I was actually able to resell all the Carnegie and AAA figures I didn't want to keep here locally and make almost all my money back on the purchase. 6 more figures (Pachy, Acro, Carno, Stego, Para, Cerato) I got from the same seller who had (has?) a bulk of newly packed Battat's (apparently he knew Dan LaRusso personally) and was friendly enough to negotiate a bit on the price since I offered to buy this many figures. The other ones I had to buy individually and waited for a good price. The Trike and the pair of Styro were the most expensive ones as to be expexted.  O:-)

S @SidB and D @Dinoguy2 I see, I see  ^-^ thanks for clearing that up!

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Exactly! Those newer brands just don't bring that personality/ charm/ character in their models to the table. I do like both though - the "hyperrealism" of the newer figures and the old charming ones.  :)

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx I see  :) I haven't run into that problem yet but it's just matter of time. I don't really have a collector rule that I go by like "onky one per species" - I do like marine animals and sauropods the best but mostly just get whatever I like a lot.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 06, 2022, 06:13:00 PM
Yeah, definitely seems to be easier to find Bullyland in Germany. It took me a few years to track down all the ones I wanted, although the place that ended up completing my collection was unexpectedly a hobby shop near Chicago. On the other hand, I imagine we in the US generally have an advantage when it comes to Battat.

Congrats on scoring those Invictas! The Liopleurodon is a really elegant sculpt.

Oh 100% true, sadly   :))
Thank you!  Sorry for not seeing your answer earlier - it somehow got lost on the bottom of page 2, because the third one was opened.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Gwangi on March 06, 2022, 08:33:59 PM
Nice pickups! I never minded a few minor scrapes on my vintage figures, I consider them battle scars from their days in the trenches (sad boxes). Its nice to know that they were played with once. The Liopleurodon is fantastic, I have the painted one but would prefer the monochrome version.

Thanks! The painted version looks great too, but I do also prefer the monochrome one for the hard plastic material its made of.
Sorry for missing your answer too, same story as above - I completely missed it because a new page was opened.  :)

Shonisaurus

Nice additions to your collection, the diplodocus from Safari/Carnegie is far superior in quality to its predecessor as logically always happens (new beats old) when it comes to figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals, on the other hand that ichythosaurus from Schleich is a very well done aquatic reptile figure and honestly it also reminds me of the ophthalmosaurus from WWD that would need more representation in toy figures. My congratulations, both for having won the auction and for having received these two beauties. Beautiful photographs.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 14, 2022, 09:34:45 AM
My congratulations, both for having won the auction and for having received these two beauties. Beautiful photographs.

Thank you very much! I always try to make the best out of my phone camera.

Halichoeres

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on March 13, 2022, 09:42:06 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 06, 2022, 06:13:00 PM
Yeah, definitely seems to be easier to find Bullyland in Germany. It took me a few years to track down all the ones I wanted, although the place that ended up completing my collection was unexpectedly a hobby shop near Chicago. On the other hand, I imagine we in the US generally have an advantage when it comes to Battat.

Congrats on scoring those Invictas! The Liopleurodon is a really elegant sculpt.

Oh 100% true, sadly   :))
Thank you!  Sorry for not seeing your answer earlier - it somehow got lost on the bottom of page 2, because the third one was opened.

Ha, no worries. We've all been bamboozled by the page breaks on the forum.

Congrats on the Carnegie Diplodocus, such an elegant sculpture. The Schleich ichthyosaur is charming, too. That color scheme has shown up on a variety of ichthyosaur toys and I think comes from a Raúl Martín painting, which you can see here: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/wild-things-life-as-we-know-it-13-55589531/.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: