News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Repaints

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, July 18, 2022, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TooOldForDinosaurs

Hello everybody :)

I've been gone on here for quite a while due to my final exams. Although I haven't posted anything in that time, my collection has been expanding during that time and I will be updating on that soon. Now that the exams are over I've almost got "spare" time and have been getting back into some freetime activities. Today I wanted to try something new and have taken the time to do something that has been on my bucket list for a veeery long time: repainting a figure!

I have never repainted anything before but follow a bunch of art channels on YouTube, so I already "knew" some basics (like which colours to use, how to layer them, how to do a wash etc.). Thats why I decided to go without a tutorial or anything and just give it a try. And I have to say I am quite proud and excited about the result. ^-^

I did a repaint on a Bullyland Mastodonsaurus and used Wikipedias image of the animal as a reference because I liked that one a lot.

Let me know what you think about it or leave any tips for my future projects.  ;) Without further ado, here are the pictures:

Pliosaurking

Great repaint avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs
I quite like the colour scheme it kinda of reminds me of a red eyed tree frog

TooOldForDinosaurs

JohannesB

I love that Bullyland Mastodonsaurus model. I have it too. Your repaint gives it a whole other "vibe", also with that beautiful base. I think it is excellent work.

Jose S.M.

That's a really good looking repaint!

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: JohannesB on July 19, 2022, 02:43:34 PMI love that Bullyland Mastodonsaurus model. I have it too. Your repaint gives it a whole other "vibe", also with that beautiful base. I think it is excellent work.
Thank you very much!  ^-^  It's the Nanmu Heavy Lance sick Triceratops' base. I plan on doing a custom base for it because I have to experiment with mod podge and such for another project. I really want to get into repainting and base sculpting now that I have time.

Quote from: Jose S.M. on July 19, 2022, 02:52:18 PMThat's a really good looking repaint!
Thanks  :) I'm glad you like it!

Ludodactylus

That looks outstanding! Great work!
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

TooOldForDinosaurs

TooOldForDinosaurs

Aaand I'm back with my first ever base build to my first repaint - the Bullyland Mastodonsaurus. :)
For the base I sculpted the terrain out of FIMO (a oven hardening modelling clay) which I then covered in a mixture out of dry sand and mod podge. I painted the base first in light and then dark brown/ gray-ish tones and gave it a light-brown and dark green dry brush as well as a dark wash. I added some moss, a small piece of bark and a rubber plant (which I am not so sure about anymore) aaand - DONE:

Base + repainted model:

And the trinity:

Original paintwork in good condition, my repaint and a third model which I picked up for cheap in very poor color condition (as was the model I repainted), which I've stripped of its color with nail-polish-remover ready for a second color variant repaint.  ;)

SidB

avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , I'm thinking that I like the plant - it has a very primitive look and feel to it, which seems to co-ordinate just fine with the look of the Mastodonsaurus, without overpowering it or taking attention away from it, the chief subject.

ceratopsian

Well done on your repaint and base!  I'm with S @SidB on the plant. I'd keep it. It has quite an "ancient" look to it and the extra height it imparts gives balance and variety to your scene.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Really good work :) It is always so great to see, how a good Repaint can change the feel and look of a Figure. Suddenly a Toy evolves into a Display Figure. Keep em coming :)

Oh, did you try Air Drying modelling Clay for rough shaping? It is of course not as fine as FIMO or Sculpey, etc. but wayyy Cheaper. Takes quite long to harden out (More that 1CM thickness works fine aswell, but takes a bit longer) and gets cold in the process.
I think your Base looks great the way it turned out :)

Grüße.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Thank you all for your kind feedback! I'm keeping the plant then S @SidB avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian   :)

Thanks for the great tip avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs ! I really only chose FIMO because I had some experience working with it but I'm excited to try out new stuff and slowly but surely dive deeper into this new hobby.  ^-^  I've checked out your custom work - it looks absolutely fantastic! Do you coat your repaints after painting them with any sort of fixative so the color doesn't come off that easily and/ or do you have any recommendations what to use for that?
Thanks in advance!

Pliosaurking

Great job on the base avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs, it looks really nice and naturalistic.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Pliosaurking on July 23, 2022, 05:52:58 PMGreat job on the base avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs, it looks really nice and naturalistic.
Thanks, I appreciate it!  :)

Halichoeres

Nice work! The paint job is superb. The rubber plant, oddly, kinda works as some kind of mid-sized lycophyte.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 26, 2022, 06:13:43 PMNice work! The paint job is superb. The rubber plant, oddly, kinda works as some kind of mid-sized lycophyte.
With the emphasis on "oddly"  ;)  Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Totoro

Wow, this is excellent, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs!  I like your repaint much better than the original, and your base is wonderful.  Looking forward to seeing more! 
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

bettashark

Well done! And welcome to the wild world of repainting!

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_Totoro @Totoro Thank you very much! Hopefully I'll get on my next repaint soon. Haven't decided on a figure yet.  :)

avatar_bettashark @bettashark Thanks! :D

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.