News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, March 10, 2022, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Halichoeres

I think this Therizinosaurus is nicer than most of the ones on offer, the only exception being maybe the Kaiyodo miniature. I'll have to get a better look at the feet at least but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on June 22, 2022, 06:36:10 PMWhat is their name on Twitter, how do you find them?
avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx their Twitter handle is FavoritePR: https://twitter.com/FavoritePR
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 22, 2022, 04:03:16 PMDon't have Instagram, so I couldn't see that post, but their Twitter feed had it too. And here for your convenience:

Congratulations to Therizinosaurus for achieving "stock dinosaur" status, which is the only way to be made in Favorite Co's core Dinosaur Soft Model line!

Thanks for posting the image!  I'm not sure Favorite's dinosaur soft model line only has "stock dinosaurs", Archaeopteryx and Tarbosaurus don't seem to qualify for that.

stargatedalek

Archaeopteryx may not be popular per-se, but it's still well enough known to be considered a stock dinosaur. And Tarbosaurus is kind of the opposite, it's not super well known, but it's essentially Tyrannosaurus and leaches off that popularity.

Fembrogon

A new Dilophosaurus and Therizinosaurus is most welcome, although Favorite's dinosaurs have been a little more mixed in quality recently, so we'll see how these turn out.

It's just a teaser photo to go off of, but shouldn't Dilophosaurus's crests be integrated into the skull more? The crests are shaped different, but they still look like they're resting on top of the skull, rather than growing as a natural extension of it.

Loon

Super interested in these, especially since these two species are so hit or miss as toys. I think even if they're just ok, they'll still be better than the rest.

Halichoeres

Premium vinyl edition of Giganotosaurus releasing this month (seen here with smaller previous versions):
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

CityRaptor

"Bigger? Why do they always have to go bigger?"

Looks like it could be fun for kids.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

In a pinch you could probably hide a kid in it, tauntaun style.

Thialfi

A little update from the socials

Lynx

Praying these released before the end of 2022, I need a good Dilo in my collection, and Papos has incredibly bad paint quality so this is my best bet.
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

Are those feathers along the Dilophosaurus's ulna?

Fembrogon

I think they are indeed feathers - which is a bit odd, because I don't see any other signs of feathers on the body like there are on the Theri.
Also, the crests definitely look wrong.

Halichoeres

Because they're missing the flange over the orbit?

Sim

Feathers can be seen on the dorsal surface of the Dilophosaurus in a photo in the first post of this thread.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 10, 2022, 01:26:03 PMBecause they're missing the flange over the orbit?
Because the crests should extend from over the antorbital fenestrae, not sit atop the bridge of the snout.
The outer edge shape of the crests arguably doesn't matter much, sincewe don't even have that part preserved; but we know since the 2020 paper that the crests were far more integrated into the skull than previously thought.

Loon

Could the shape of the crests, as well as their position just be chalked up to the simplification that comes with being a toy? Or are they really that egregious? Regardless, I think this still look like the best bets for these species out there. Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Araki's style, these two work for me.

Flaffy

Quote from: Loon on September 19, 2022, 03:37:30 AMCould the shape of the crests, as well as their position just be chalked up to the simplification that comes with being a toy? Or are they really that egregious? Regardless, I think this still look like the best bets for these species out there. Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Araki's style, these two work for me.

As far as I can tell, no. The crests should be extensions of the lacrimals, and closely associated with various skull bones & openings (e.g. nasals, antorbital fenestrae); as opposed to sprouting from the top of the skull as separate structures.

Based on the blurry preview pictures, it seems like the crests on the Favorite Co. figure are completely dissociated from the lacrimals. Hopefully better images will clear this up.

Loon

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy ah, I see what you mean. The picture really cleared things up. If anything, I might try editing the crests. Cutting the excess at the back and adding a bit of clay to make them connect to the skull more shouldn't be too hard. But, I agree, I'd like to see some more detailed pictures before deciding on anything.

Halichoeres

Well, that's a pity. I'm sure Araki has been sculpting Dilophosaurus for years and just hasn't updated his ideas about it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: