News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, March 10, 2022, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

New photo of the soft model Theri has popped up on Twitter and instagram:

https://twitter.com/FavoritePR/status/1576859916744237057?cxt=HHwWgoC94avvkOIrAAAA
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjPurIhuCJH/
Quote巨大なかぎ爪が衝撃的な #テリジノサウルス
その姿は #探究心 をかき立てられます
🛠鋭意開発中

The huge claws of #Therizinosaurus are shocking.
Its appearance inspires #inquisitiveness!
Under development 🛠 with great enthusiasm!
(translated by DeepL)

I think this is looking better than the Dilo. The toes on the feet look appropriate, and I like how rotund the torso is. The claws seem to be of a decent length too.

SidB

I too like many of the features that I can make out on the image.

terrorchicken

this may be my first therizino figure...I like the sculpt but I hope they dont mess it up by giving it garish colors. I would get their carnotaurus if it wasn't for that awful neon purple.

SidB

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 04, 2022, 12:36:15 AMthis may be my first therizino figure...I like the sculpt but I hope they dont mess it up by giving it garish colors. I would get their carnotaurus if it wasn't for that awful neon purple.
If it's good enough, that might justify a repaint.

Fembrogon

Here's a new pic of the Dilo as well: https://www.instagram.com/p/CjSTfYSugRR/
*edit* Twitter link too: https://twitter.com/FavoritePR/status/1577222349304303617

If only those crests were corrected this would probably be a very good Dilophosaurus.

Loon

I love how much weight is conveyed in that therizinosaurus' pose. The clear plastic rod bothers me, but I guess it's better than those awful pegs a lot of Favorite stands use. The Dilophosaurus looks really good too, ignoring the crests. I'll probably still get it, even if it ends up needing some work.

Halichoeres

Thanks for posting, avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon. I like that they're including the acrylic rod; I've often found that for theropods, the little peg and socket arrangement with the bases and feet wasn't enough to keep them upright. I think at this point I'm just about certain to get the Therizinosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of these color choices. Yes I know the Dilophosaurus is sort of like the JP novel one, but eh it's too similar to CollectA's.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SidB

Hmm... well, they'll certainly stand out on the shelf.  Otherwise, quite a contrast to the approach taken by, say - PNSO.

Flaffy

Welp, I guess we know which colour scheme Favorite is using.

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

Bread

I'm actually a fan of that Dilophosaurus. I am leaning towards having a kit for this unique genus, but with financial necessities always being a higher priority, I may just go with this alternative.

Yes we have yet to see the full figure painted up, but I'd say this direction isn't a bad start. I'm curious to see the full thing.

Halichoeres

Yeah, I think I'd have preferred a different color on the Therizinosaurus, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

dinofelid

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 04, 2022, 03:45:25 PMIf only those crests were corrected this would probably be a very good Dilophosaurus.

What's the issue with the crests? To my eyes they look similar to the depiction based on newer research shown in this article, is it that they should be thicker?

Leyster

Quote from: dinofelid on October 14, 2022, 05:15:35 PM
Quote from: Fembrogon on October 04, 2022, 03:45:25 PMIf only those crests were corrected this would probably be a very good Dilophosaurus.

What's the issue with the crests? To my eyes they look similar to the depiction based on newer research shown in this article, is it that they should be thicker?
They should extend to the premaxilla.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

dinofelid

Quote from: Leyster on October 14, 2022, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: dinofelid on October 14, 2022, 05:15:35 PM

They should extend to the premaxilla.

Looking at the diagram here, do you mean all the way to the front tip of the premaxilla, or just extending partway along it, maybe slightly in front of the the nares? The top diagram of the updated Dilophosaurus reconstruction here seems to show the crest ends right around the front of the nares, I can't see the nostril on that instagram pic of the model so it seems hard to tell if they made the crest too far from the front tip of the premaxilla. The photo here of the model based on the new research does seem to show the end of the "snout" extending a fair amount beyond the front of the crest, it doesn't seem obvious the snout in the model extends proportionally further past the front of the crest.

Leyster

D @dinofelid
QuoteThe nasolacrimal crest begins as a low ridge on the premaxilla of Dilophosaurus wetherilli in contrast to the taller contribution found in Sinosaurus triassicus and the bifurcated slotted articulation of Monolophosaurus jiangi Zhao and Currie, 1993
(from Marsh & Rowe, 2020)

See fig. 36 in the same paper. Of course this does not tell us how far the keratin extended the anterior margin (that's what I think is represented in Engh's puppet).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

dinofelid

Quote from: Leyster on October 14, 2022, 07:29:08 PMD @dinofelid
QuoteThe nasolacrimal crest begins as a low ridge on the premaxilla of Dilophosaurus wetherilli in contrast to the taller contribution found in Sinosaurus triassicus and the bifurcated slotted articulation of Monolophosaurus jiangi Zhao and Currie, 1993
(from Marsh & Rowe, 2020)

See fig. 36 in the same paper. Of course this does not tell us how far the keratin extended the anterior margin (that's what I think is represented in Engh's puppet).

Couldn't "begins as a low ridge on the premaxilla" fit with the idea that it starts at the back of the premaxilla, and that most of the length of the premaxilla has no crest atop it? That's what the diagram here that I was talking about seems to show, and it looks like the diagram is based on that figure 36 you referred to from the 2020 paper.

Leyster

D @dinofelid that's not the back of the premaxilla. At most, the middle of it. And this is without considering the keratin covering, whose extension is unknown. I don't know if there are studies on the keratin crests of birds, but the keratin extends claws a good 10-30%.
Engh worked with the authors of the paper to build his restoration, so I'll tend to agree with his version of its size.

Fembrogon

Also key is that the crests are an extension of the antorbital fenestrae, not simply resting atop the lacrimal ridges as so often depicted before. Look at Brian Engh's art and you'll see the crests grow out of the sides of the skull and continue upward.
The Favorite model, in contrast, shows exposed fenestrae with no contact to the crests.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: