News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Sounds “Reconstructed “

Started by Stegotyranno420, April 30, 2022, 01:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

https://youtu.be/XcBoY_aEVj8
This was an interesting video. I highly recommend watching it!
I don't want to spoil the sounds or anything, so my comments will be in the spoiler tab
Spoiler
But I'm pretty skeptical on these, mainly for the smaller carnivores and Spinosaurus, especially the latter. Right of the bat, most folks will think this person did not put too much thought into the sound work. Except he did, he has many citations and references. I still have to read all of them, but I want your guy's opinion.   
[close]

JohannesB

If there is any real (scientific) substance to this, I would be very interested to learn more about this kind of hypothesizing.

Stegotyranno420

GojiraGuy1954

None of these videos ever take into account that Crocodiles can produce a sound like a roar, just not using a mammalian larynx, obviously;
https://youtu.be/jRgTk_qvsTw

I think it's most obvious in Muggers.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 exactly.  This is why I was suspicious of this video. But as said before, this guy was very clear about his calculations.

JohannesB

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 30, 2022, 05:14:38 PM
None of these videos ever take into account that Crocodiles can produce a sound like a roar, just not using a mammalian larynx, obviously

Possibly the video's don't have to take that into account, because they are indeed not roars (but deep gurgles)?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: JohannesB on May 01, 2022, 01:21:17 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on April 30, 2022, 05:14:38 PM
None of these videos ever take into account that Crocodiles can produce a sound like a roar, just not using a mammalian larynx, obviously

Possibly the video's don't have to take that into account, because they are indeed not roars (but deep gurgles)?
They aren't exactly roars by definition "The loud deep cry of a wild animal, especially a lion or other wild cat" but they are most certainly roars

Cretaceous Crab

I always thought crocodilian guttural sounds were more like growling more than true "roar." But that's just me.

LOL, my 11-yr-old son and I just watched the video. His reaction:

"Dada, that's not what T. rex sounded like!"

andrewsaurus rex

an interesting study but highly speculative at best.  I don't doubt that dinosaurs probably didn't make mammal like sounds, eg roars.  I suspect many sounded like modern birds, eg chirps, squeaks and screeches.   An animal like T Rex may not have roared like a lion or a JP T Rex, but it still could have been able to make some sort of loud bellowing sound both to intimidate/startle prey and to broadcast its presence to rivals of the same species.  But that would be assuming individual Rex's each had their own territory eg a "pride" composed of a female with a haram of males.

However, if Rex lived in a big group, like a bask of crocodiles, then the need for making loud noises would have been reduced.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 03, 2022, 05:51:48 PM
an interesting study but highly speculative at best.  I don't doubt that dinosaurs probably didn't make mammal like sounds, eg roars.  I suspect many sounded like modern birds, eg chirps, squeaks and screeches.   An animal like T Rex may not have roared like a lion or a JP T Rex, but it still could have been able to make some sort of loud bellowing sound both to intimidate/startle prey and to broadcast its presence to rivals of the same species.  But that would be assuming individual Rex's each had their own territory eg a "pride" composed of a female with a haram of males.

However, if Rex lived in a big group, like a bask of crocodiles, then the need for making loud noises would have been reduced.
Crocodylians are extremely vocal

Papi-Anon

Not gonna lie, the Dryptosaurus sounds made me laugh.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 03, 2022, 06:20:42 PM

but they're not vocal like a lion is vocal; a male lion's roar can be heard from several kilometers away.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 04, 2022, 01:40:45 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 03, 2022, 06:20:42 PM

but they're not vocal like a lion is vocal; a male lion's roar can be heard from several kilometers away.
They still make sounds like that

andrewsaurus rex

right, but my point was a dinosaur's lifestyle could very well influence the sounds it makes, both in type and volume. ie a territorial T Rex could well make much louder sounds than a more sedentary lifestyle T rex.  Since Rex was such a large animal and would have required lots of food, it, in my view, probably hunted over a large territory, much like large mammal predators do today.  And that could indicate it may a loud bellowing sounds of some type to announce its presence and scare off/intimidate rivals and other carnivore intruders.

spinosaurus1

andrewsaurus rex

somewhat off topic but interesting nonetheless, the 10 loudest animals.  Some pretty surprising entries, including the #1 ranked Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2012/08/the-10-loudest-animals-on-earth/

Stegotyranno420

Part 2, Jurassic Period
I must say, I find this one to be more impressive than the previous, overlooking the mistake at the end.
I believe in this one, crocodile sounds are utilized
Let me know your thoughts

GojiraGuy1954

Why is the Liopleurodon making cetacean sounds?

Also, I seriously doubt that only Theropods and Ankylosaurs posessed incredibly similar larynxes. They really are not closely related groups. Unless by some miracle of convergence they both developed an insanely similar structure simultaneously, i'm going to have to say it was a more basal trait akin to feathering on dinosaurs.

Eatmycar

Well I can't speak much for accuracy, but damn, that Dilophosaur sound is absolutely creepy. The Isle's was my standard for good Dilo sounds but this, oof. Stellar.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: