News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Largest Raptor ever discovered

Started by BlueKrono, May 06, 2022, 05:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Papi-Anon

My initial thought with this article and title was 'Oh wow! A dromeosaur bigger than Utahraptor!' Then I read that it was 30ft long my immediate thought was 'Please don't be a megataptor again...', then it described it and confirmed it was from that family and not the dromeosaurs. Disappointed I am.

But at the same time it's good we got more from this enigmatic group. Maybe we can get closer to settling the debate on where the megaraptors sit in the theropod family tree.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Faelrin

Huh I'm surprised it took this long for Maip to be discussed here. Granted I was sent an article a while back on it and forgot to share it here. My apologies on that, but well at least someone stepped up to the plate. I do think this is a really interesting discovery, albeit still fragmentary like many other megaraptorans.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Saw it a week ago as well, I do with they would call it a "raptor" though.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

VD231991

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 07, 2022, 04:00:23 PMSaw it a week ago as well, I do with they would call it a "raptor" though.
Megaraptorans are not classic raptor dinosaurs because they did not having the quintessential killer claw and they were very larger theropods. The type genus of the clade Megaraptora, Megaraptor, was thought to have a giant dromaeosaur when first described in 1997 because the claw bones of the holotype specimen were thought to have belonged to the foot region, but the discovery of a complete forelimb showed that the giant claw of Megaraptor was actually from the forelimb.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.