You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New species of therizinosaur found in Japan

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, May 12, 2022, 07:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prehistory Resurrection

Meet Paralitherizinosaurus japonicus, discovered in marine deposits of Japan (Osoushinai Formation, Hokkaido, Japan). Image credit: Masato Hattori.

The remains are fragmentary but enough to identify it as a therizinosaur. Only a partial vertebra and partial right hand of one individual has been discovered.

Based on the finds, it appears to be an early therizinosaur.

SidB

Thanks for the info, avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection . Well, it's better than a mere 'tooth taxon'!

Shonisaurus

Magnificent illustration by Masato Haroti, one of the most interesting paleoartists from my point of view.

Halichoeres

My kingdom for a full skeleton of a derived therizinosaur.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

My question is, how do we even know this is truly a therizinosaur? It's so fragmentary that I would just list it as some indeterminate theropod.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GojiraGuy1954

Unless there's something very distinct about Therizinosaur finger anatomy that i'm forgetting this doesn't scream any family in particular to me.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Halichoeres

Apparently the claws of therizinosaurs are really squashed from side to side. That might be enough to be diagnose it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

brontosauruschuck

Pliosaurking

That's interesting, and that artwork is great!

Halichoeres