You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GODZILLA X KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

Started by dragon53, May 13, 2022, 03:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 05, 2022, 05:07:49 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on August 04, 2022, 07:23:30 AMKing Ghidorah was already a space monster, so that is not much of a stretch. And of course it harkens back to the old movies, which had a lot aliens. I wonder if that means Monsterverse versions of the likes of Gigan...

I'd like to see Gigan pre-cyborg then get turned into one. We had that with Ghidorah but we've never saw what Gigan was previously.
According to an old guidebook about the Toho films, his only organic parts are the golden scales and wings, and he was created from a sibling of Ghidorah

here's a picture of said book, not mine but a friends
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Mellow Stego

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 05, 2022, 08:11:38 PM
Quote from: Mellow Stego on August 05, 2022, 04:28:39 PMMaybe Space Godzilla?
Boring monster

Oh? Granted the movie wasn't really good but I think Space Godzilla himself was pretty cool. 
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Stegotyranno420

I don't know a lot about Kaiju, but Space Gojira is probably one of my favorite designs

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 05, 2022, 08:15:00 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on August 04, 2022, 07:23:30 AMKing Ghidorah was already a space monster, so that is not much of a stretch. And of course it harkens back to the old movies, which had a lot aliens. I wonder if that means Monsterverse versions of the likes of Gigan...

I'd like to see Gigan pre-cyborg then get turned into one. We had that with Ghidorah but we've never saw what Gigan was previously.
According to an old guidebook about the Toho films, his only organic parts are the golden scales and wings, and he was created from a sibling of Ghidorah

That seems a bit ..weird? I always thought him as a reptilian bird creature.

There was even this figure that came out in the 80's with a knockoff Godzilla set that sorta gave me that impression too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYAfA613tA

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Mellow Stego on August 06, 2022, 04:43:06 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 05, 2022, 08:11:38 PM
Quote from: Mellow Stego on August 05, 2022, 04:28:39 PMMaybe Space Godzilla?
Boring monster

Oh? Granted the movie wasn't really good but I think Space Godzilla himself was pretty cool. 
Just purple godzilla with crystals I dont think he's really all that special

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 06, 2022, 04:34:05 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 05, 2022, 08:15:00 PM

That seems a bit ..weird? I always thought him as a reptilian bird creature.

There was even this figure that came out in the 80's with a knockoff Godzilla set that sorta gave me that impression too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYAfA613tA
I think it makes a lot of sense, though. As to why Ghidorah teams up with him against Godzilla and Anguirus while he isn't normally much of a "team player."

What can I say, Godzilla, especially Showa, is a weird series lol

alexeratops

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 03, 2022, 10:25:21 PMAlso, there was footage of a scene being shot in Australia where people were screaming and running from some monster, which basically disproves the "ancient war" idea.
https://twitter.com/GormaruIsland/status/1552980150865854465?cxt=HHwWgoC8uYPOpY0rAAAA

Doesn't mean that they can't dig into the history of the titans more in general through flashbacks or ancient temples or something in the hollow earth. But

The set photos indicate that the scene they're filming is supposed to take place in Brazil- home of the titan Behemoth. This scene could be Godzilla surfacing to see/fight Behemoth, or it could be another titan surfacing there for another reason. But I think it's likely Godzilla.
like a bantha!

dragon53

GODZILLA VS KONG 2---an Australian government press release for the sequel states, "The fifth film [in] the MonsterVerse franchise will see Kong defend the Earth from the unusual and dangerous creatures that threaten his new home."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on August 15, 2022, 07:18:44 PMGODZILLA VS KONG 2---an Australian government press release for the sequel states, "The fifth film [in] the MonsterVerse franchise will see Kong defend the Earth from the unusual and dangerous creatures that threaten his new home."

well it won't be any of the current monsters then as they are all pretty beneficial?  Maybe Baragon,Gorosaurus, ect?  Anything I guess could live in the Hollow Earth. There were a lot of unused ideas from Skull Island.

GojiraGuy1954

Won't be Gorosaurus. Why buy a generic theropod when you can just make your own

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 15, 2022, 10:01:51 PMWon't be Gorosaurus. Why buy a generic theropod when you can just make your own

True, but I mean the fans will call it Gorosaurus..or a V-Rex type critter..any theropod will pretty much work.  I recall one of the big complaints from Skull Island was the lack of dinosaurs.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 16, 2022, 05:50:33 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on August 15, 2022, 10:01:51 PMWon't be Gorosaurus. Why buy a generic theropod when you can just make your own

True, but I mean the fans will call it Gorosaurus..or a V-Rex type critter..any theropod will pretty much work.  I recall one of the big complaints from Skull Island was the lack of dinosaurs.

I was one of the people complaining about that, but I still liked the movie and the original creature designs. I hope we'll get to see some dinosaurs walking around in the hollow Earth. The Triceratops skull on Skull Island at least indicates that dinosaurs are/were there.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on August 16, 2022, 01:20:27 PM

I was one of the people complaining about that, but I still liked the movie and the original creature designs. I hope we'll get to see some dinosaurs walking around in the hollow Earth. The Triceratops skull on Skull Island at least indicates that dinosaurs are/were there.

It was a huge skull too wasn't it? Didn't they imply the skull crawlers ate them?  There should be more skull crawlers as well somewhere too..they came from the Hollow Earth.

bmathison1972

I would love to see an MCU-like take on the Godzilla franchise, but by Toho, NOT Legendary. Other than Kong Skull Island, I didn't enjoy any of them from the latter, and I grew up with Toho in the 70s and 80s!

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 16, 2022, 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 16, 2022, 01:20:27 PM

It was a huge skull too wasn't it? Didn't they imply the skull crawlers ate them?  There should be more skull crawlers as well somewhere too..they came from the Hollow Earth.

Big enough to set up a machine gun turret on it. Dinosaurs and what happened to them were never specifically mentioned though. And there must be more skull crawlers somewhere because they had them to test out Mechagodzilla on. 

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 16, 2022, 03:07:11 PMI would love to see an MCU-like take on the Godzilla franchise, but by Toho, NOT Legendary. Other than Kong Skull Island, I didn't enjoy any of them from the latter, and I grew up with Toho in the 70s and 80s!

I like the Legendary films well enough, for what they are. They're like the Toho films in that they're mostly spectacle without substance, the characters and human stories in the Toho films were generally lacking, but the cheese factor made up for that. With the Legendary films I do enjoy watching those CGI monster battles. But I would also like to see an MCU-like Toho series, with miniatures and men in costumes. Really, Toho was playing with expanded universes long before the MCU. I liked the Shin Godzilla movie but I guess that was a one-off. I haven't been a fan of the recent animated series.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on August 16, 2022, 04:12:59 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 16, 2022, 03:07:11 PMI would love to see an MCU-like take on the Godzilla franchise, but by Toho, NOT Legendary. Other than Kong Skull Island, I didn't enjoy any of them from the latter, and I grew up with Toho in the 70s and 80s!

I like the Legendary films well enough, for what they are. They're like the Toho films in that they're mostly spectacle without substance, the characters and human stories in the Toho films were generally lacking, but the cheese factor made up for that. With the Legendary films I do enjoy watching those CGI monster battles. But I would also like to see an MCU-like Toho series, with miniatures and men in costumes. Really, Toho was playing with expanded universes long before the MCU. I liked the Shin Godzilla movie but I guess that was a one-off. I haven't been a fan of the recent animated series.

I really liked Shin Godzilla too; I thought it was intended to be a re-launch, but maybe not.

With regards to CGI, I, on the other hand, and not impressed with nor enjoy over-the-top CGI. I would like something better quality than traditional Toho sure, but I don't want three hours of CGI destruction and mayhem.

GojiraGuy1954

I like the lack of Dinosaurs in the MonsterVerse iteration of Skull Island. Gives the island more opportunity to come up with more unique fauna and gives it more of a seperate personality. Skull Island's whole deal was making a wholly unique island for Kong to run around in. There should be dinosaurs when there's another Skull Island in another continuity, though.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 16, 2022, 04:18:01 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 16, 2022, 04:12:59 PM

I really liked Shin Godzilla too; I thought it was intended to be a re-launch, but maybe not.

With regards to CGI, I, on the other hand, and not impressed with nor enjoy over-the-top CGI. I would like something better quality than traditional Toho sure, but I don't want three hours of CGI destruction and mayhem.

I'll always have a love for practical effects, and still feel like CGI is best used in conjunction with practical (Jurassic Park). But I also feel like CGI has its place and that's especially true for kaiju and superhero movies. The CGI in the Legendary Godzilla films looks fantastic. You couldn't replicate those scenes convincingly with practical effects and so I take no issue with the CGI. 

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gwangi on August 16, 2022, 04:12:59 PMI liked the Shin Godzilla movie but I guess that was a one-off.
There is a "Shin Series," but Godzilla is only one component of it. It's called the "Shin Japan Heroes Universe." It's a collab project between Studio Khara, Toei, Toho and Tsuburaya and so far two films have been released for the brand, 2016's Shin Godzilla and 2022's Shin Ultraman.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: