News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Sort of Back on it!

Started by Blackdanter, June 05, 2022, 11:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdanter

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 08, 2022, 04:20:52 PMI think I joined the forum (and the hobby) too late to have overlapped with you, but welcome back anyhow! Some really interesting and unusual items here. What would one smuggle in a Camarasaurus belly, heroin?

Thanks Halichores. Pleased to meet you. I would imagine that you smuggle more dinosaur figures!

Blackdanter

Quote from: Ikessauro on June 08, 2022, 04:38:16 PM
Quote from: Blackdanter on June 05, 2022, 09:01:50 PMYes, the Photobucket disaster. I looked around at free hosting sites but couldn't find anything I liked the look of. I'll certainly take a look at  postimages.org (thanks for the recommendation).

Great to see you back avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter. You might wanna check out Imgur.com

I use it without any hassle to host my pics. Works fine in the forum.
Thanks Ikessauro. glad to see you still here. thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out. ;O)

Blackdanter

Todays dinos:

Sinclair Dinosaur Premiums (Marx sized) Unopened Bag.

Danone Dinosaur Premiums. Packaging variations (Bagged and carded types). I do have a full set of these but these are the ones to hand at the minute.

Blackdanter

Starlux unpainted figures.

El Cigarral Cheese premiums from Spain.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

You have some lovely figures, welcome back, not that I was here when you were  the first time, but nice to see you so to speak, all the same.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Interesting pieces, never seen unpainted Starlux before. Are they the same brittle material?

Also, incredibly, I think that Danone is still the only Bactrosaurus toy.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Good to see you on here again. Although admittedly I'm not as active as I used to be.
Definitely less dinosaur collecting. Still lots of other prehistoric animals.
But mostly fishes.

That said...you have the Cave Animal feves, I've always wanted that cave hyena

Blackdanter

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 14, 2022, 10:39:45 PMInteresting pieces, never seen unpainted Starlux before. Are they the same brittle material?

Also, incredibly, I think that Danone is still the only Bactrosaurus toy.

Yes, exactly the same brittle material. They came in a job lot of other Starlux figures from France so I assume that they were a 'paint yourself' type of thing.

It's odd that there hasn't been another Bactrosaurus toy yet. At least this lovely little thing exists.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on June 14, 2022, 12:30:57 AMYou have some lovely figures, welcome back, not that I was here when you were  the first time, but nice to see you so to speak, all the same.

Thanks Gothmog.

Blackdanter

Quote from: SBell on June 15, 2022, 03:16:56 AMGood to see you on here again. Although admittedly I'm not as active as I used to be.
But mostly fishes.

Thanks Sean. You must live in a warehouse by now. I dread to think where I would be now if my collecting had continued at the same level. Likely penniless!

Blackdanter

Todays figures (from rummaging through boxes):

Sinclair Gas Station Money Box premium.

Papo Unpainted Stegosaurus. The heads seem to be separate moldings on the few unpainted Papo I have. Not sure if that was a requirement of the molding process or for reason of 'option'. This was certainly the case on the Pteranodon where the head seems to have undergone changes in production.

Halichoeres

In that monochrome format the texturing on the stegosaur's plates looks even stranger than usual. Trademark Papo: detail for its own sake.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Blackdanter on June 15, 2022, 03:11:02 PM
Quote from: SBell on June 15, 2022, 03:16:56 AMGood to see you on here again. Although admittedly I'm not as active as I used to be.
But mostly fishes.

Thanks Sean. You must live in a warehouse by now. I dread to think where I would be now if my collecting had continued at the same level. Likely penniless!

I'm certainly more cautious now. I haven't gone heavily into the new Chinese makers, and often skip most releases unless they're something special or unique.

So far, I've managed to maintain my mandate that everything has to have display space or I won't get it. But there's always something new

Bokisaurus

Nice, very nice! This is what I missed seeing some really interesting models. Those unpainted ones are treasures for sure! Love the Starlux they are so charming little gems ^-^

Crackington

Bit belated, but welcome back too avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter. I remember your posts back in the day, though I think I was a too infrequent poster to have had much interaction back then.

Enjoying this thread and the rarities you have unearthed. Those unpainted Starlux models for instance, don't they look better? Almost like Invicta's.

Duna

Wow, you got quite nice gems there! ^-^ The El Cigarral collection is almost impossible to get nowadays and more in a bagged set, same about those Sinclair with even the booklet!
The Danones are really interesting plastic figures that were indeed official Jurassic Park product in 1993. It's quite shocking that most of those 12 species didn't appear in the 1993 movie but time has proven right and even Dimetrodon has appeared in JW. :))

I've seen several of those green unpainted Starlux, but I don't know if there was a set of them or they were released like that individually. I have two unpainted too but they are plain brown: moropus and ichthyosaurus. They look like simple unpainted factory figures because their base colour matches with the painted figure.
They remind me a lot of the El Cigarral or even Marx.

By the way, where do those unpainted Papo come?

Blackdanter

Quote from: Crackington on June 19, 2022, 01:55:14 PMBit belated, but welcome back too avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter. I remember your posts back in the day, though I think I was a too infrequent poster to have had much interaction back then.

Enjoying this thread and the rarities you have unearthed. Those unpainted Starlux models for instance, don't they look better? Almost like Invicta's.

Thanks Crackington. I do have an affection for unpainted figures which I think is the fault of Invicta. The surprising thing is how very different an unpainted figure can look compared to a painted version. Schleich figures are really lovely unpainted. 

Blackdanter

Quote from: Duna on June 20, 2022, 04:56:51 PMWow, you got quite nice gems there! ^-^ The El Cigarral collection is almost impossible to get nowadays and more in a bagged set, same about those Sinclair with even the booklet!
The Danones are really interesting plastic figures that were indeed official Jurassic Park product in 1993. It's quite shocking that most of those 12 species didn't appear in the 1993 movie but time has proven right and even Dimetrodon has appeared in JW. :))

I've seen several of those green unpainted Starlux, but I don't know if there was a set of them or they were released like that individually. I have two unpainted too but they are plain brown: moropus and ichthyosaurus. They look like simple unpainted factory figures because their base colour matches with the painted figure.
They remind me a lot of the El Cigarral or even Marx.

By the way, where do those unpainted Papo come?

Thanks Duna. I did actively collect for many years and had contacts all over the world who picked things up for me. I'm really lucky in that respect.

The unpainted Papo figures (like the other manufacturers I have) were mainly sourced from Chinese domestic clearance outlets. Basically, they took all of the unwanted stock from factories (test moldings, end of line and over runs) for sale on the domestic market. I had a couple of contacts who monitored these outlets and let me know what was appearing and, if I was interested, they'd send them over to me. I was mainly looking for items like Kaiyodo, Play Visions or discontinued Bully or Schleich figures, the type of figures that were impossible to find in Europe but were still circulating as production over run or end of line in China. I was offered way more things than I ever had sent over but I did secure a lot of unusual and sometimes unknown figures. I believe that this practice with the factories has now stopped in china (which might kinda be my fault to a degree where Schleich are concerned). 

Blackdanter

Todays dinosaur figures:

Kabaya Dinoworld Shop Display.

Unpainted Rebbachisaurus - This may have been part of a magazine premium set (Collecta figures were used as the basis for at least two different sets).

Blackdanter

Todays dino figures:

Those smaller bendy Carnage/Resaurus figures. These seem to be quite scarce figures. I don't remember seeing them at all when the standard articulated figures were available. They are very well made but do suffer from difficult to fix foot distortion issues. They are a lot smaller than the standard Carnage/Resaurus figures and have a wire armature molded into them which is next to useless.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: