News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sort of Back on it!

Started by Blackdanter, June 05, 2022, 11:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Fascinating, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter , I've never seen any of these Play Vision and Hobby & Workshop Publishing critters  before. Did the latter produce any other dinosaurs?

Blackdanter

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on September 02, 2022, 03:41:41 PMBeautiful to see the whole Play Visions marine reptiles set assembled. And all the figures look almost fresh out of the box :o 

Thanks TooOldForDinosaurs. They're a nice little set of 'unusuals'. I also have the amphibian set but wasn't much interested in the prehistoric mammals or bigger dinosaurs to bother with those at the time. Both of my sets were new when I acquired them. Someone on the forum in the US found some old shop stock and traded/sold them to quite a few collectors here. There'll be more out there someplace, I'm sure.

Blackdanter

Quote from: SidB on September 02, 2022, 05:33:36 PMFascinating, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter , I've never seen any of these Play Vision and Hobby & Workshop Publishing critters  before. Did the latter produce any other dinosaurs?

Thanks SidB. The Play Visions are long extinct and had been for some time when I acquired my sets. Hobby & Work Publishing are/were an Italian part works publisher similar to DeAgostini. The dinosaur part works project never happened past initial advertising, supposedly due to legal issues with Collecta. All of the dinosaurs for the part works had already been produced when the project was shelved and seem to have made their way into the Chinese domestic market via factory clearance outlets (which is how I sourced a few example pieces). All of the figures were larger versions of Collecta figures and the figures were never sold outside of China and disappeared very quickly. I have maybe five or six of these figures which display quite nicely with their smaller counterparts. Some are marked as Hobby & Work Publishing and some have had this hot knifed off of them for reasons unknown.

Halichoeres

Those Hobby & Work Publishing figures are new to me! Didn't know it was possible to make that CollectA Polacanthus look goofier!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Blackdanter on September 02, 2022, 09:02:08 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 02, 2022, 05:33:36 PMFascinating, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter , I've never seen any of these Play Vision and Hobby & Workshop Publishing critters  before. Did the latter produce any other dinosaurs?

Thanks SidB. The Play Visions are long extinct and had been for some time when I acquired my sets. Hobby & Work Publishing are/were and Italian part works publisher similar to DeAgostini. The dinosar part works project never happened past initial advertising, supposedly due to legal issues with Collecta. All of the dinosaurs for the part works had already been produced when the project was shelved and seem to have made their way into the Chinese domestic market via factory clearance outlets (which is how I sourced a few example pieces). All of the figures were larger versions of Collecta figures and the figures were never sold outside of China and disappeared very quickly. I have maybe five or six of these figures which display quite nicely with their smaller counterparts. Some are marked as Hobby & Work Publishing and some have had this hot knifed off of them for reasons unknown.
I would never have guessed this somewhat convoluted tale, but good for you on acquiring this slice of dinosaur toy history. It's cool to know that such things exist.

Blackdanter

Todays random dinosaur figures:

MPC (the five unique to MPC figures are at the front)

Rotstern (Germany) chocolate egg figures:

Blackdanter

A couple more images to end the day:

Terror Birds terrorising.

Unpainted Schleich and Safari.

postsaurischian

:D The Wild Safari Gastornis looks much better with this simple colour scheme.

Shonisaurus

I really like all your "retro" MPC figures. They are like the ones in the old dinosaur books, vintage companies are extremely interesting. Thanks for sharing. By the way, the terror bird, the phorusrhacos, I suppose accompanies the Gastornis. What company does it belong to? is very pretty.

Blackdanter

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 04, 2022, 09:59:26 PM:D The Wild Safari Gastornis looks much better with this simple colour scheme.

I tend to agree on that one Postsaurischian. This figure is an unfinished factory escapee.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 05, 2022, 11:57:01 AMI really like all your "retro" MPC figures. They are like the ones in the old dinosaur books, vintage companies are extremely interesting. Thanks for sharing. By the way, the terror bird, the phorusrhacos, I suppose accompanies the Gastornis. What company does it belong to? is very pretty.

Thanks Shonisaurus. Yes, I think it probably does represent Phorusrhacos. It's a Chap Mei figure from one of the boxed figure sets (I can't remember which one though).

Halichoeres

I've never seen the Rostern figures before. They vaguely remind me of the Simba Predasaurs figures, although the Rosterns look a lot nicer and I'm guessing came out much earlier.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blackdanter

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2022, 03:29:51 PMI've never seen the Rostern figures before. They vaguely remind me of the Simba Predasaurs figures, although the Rosterns look a lot nicer and I'm guessing came out much earlier.

They are mid 1990's German figures. There are actually 16 in the set but the other eight are skulls which I didn't bother collecting.

Blackdanter

Random dinosaur figures for today:

More unpainted Schleich.

Unusual set of AAA figures.

Blackdanter

Random dinosaurs for today:

Bullyland mini dinosaurs. There's a dizzying number of these. I think there are maybe two complete different sets amongst this grouping which also includes incomplete sets dating from the 1980's to now (unless the company is defunct).

Kaiyodo Dinotales series 3 book and exclusive figure (white Acrocanthosaurus).

Blackdanter

Random dinosaur figures for today (interesting box of stuff checked through today - here's a couple of things):

Kaiyodo 'The Greatest Dinosaur Expo 2002' Set.

Capcom 'Dinosaur Expo 2009' - Mamenchisaurus.

Kaiyodo 'Dinosaur Expo 2005 - A T.Rex Named Sue'.

SidB

Wow, 2002! I can see what the fuss was/is about these figures, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter .

Ludodactylus

"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Blackdanter

Random figures for today (more from yesterdays box):

Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 2 shop display boxes. These have adhesive pads on the rear so that they could be affixed for display.

Full set of 2008 Furuta Choco Egg figures in Furuta display case. These are awesome Araki sculpts. I do have the secret T.Rex skull figure but it's not present here. These figures easily rival Kaiyodo Dinotales standards and in some cases exceed them.

Blackdanter

Back to work tomorrow so here's a bonus figure:

Early 1990's Bandai large vinyl T.Rex. There are only three known figures in this set and this is said to be the rarest. There always used to be Trikes in this set available on Jauce with the Stegosaurus popping up quite regularly. The Rex is supposedly very rare but I watched four pass through Jauce before getting this one quite cheaply. I have all three figures in my collection, a T.Rex, Trike and Stegosaurus. The Trike and Stegosaurus are gloriously retro and bad tempered looking. This Rex just looks entirely bored with proceedings and has a classic 'whatever' eyeroll.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: