You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help!!! Value, Rarity, and Info on Tyrant King!!

Started by Desperate, November 30, 2012, 04:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desperate

I posted this already in the identification thread and hardly anyone commented.  Seijun did try to help and gave some good answers but did not know the value so I need some more opinions and any sources you might have or find.  This has been driving me crazy trying to find stuff on this guy and now I remember why I shoved it into the deepest recesses of storage about 2 years ago.  Anyway here is the only link to any info that I could find on this guy: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/2010/05/19/tyrannosaurus-tyrant-king-statue-safari-ltd-primal/
Also here is the link to the page with my first post about it in the the identification thread: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,84.210.html

tyrantqueen

I've never seen this model on sale before, ever. Granted, it was a few years before I got into dinosaur collecting seriously...but even then it was pretty obscure. Looks nice, but not really my style.

Probably the reason why most people aren't responding is 'cause most of us don't know anything about it.

Dan

I am the one that wrote the review, and I have only seen that piece available on Ebay once in the past year or so. I believe it sold for around $100.

Desperate

Thanks for the reply and I can understand that as I got this thing somewhere around 10-14 years ago (want to say 12 years but just not sure).  That's a long time to be collecting dinosaurs.  Anyway I was also hoping that someone would be able to point me in the right direction if nobody knew but I figured that with such a small lot size and and 12 or so years for these things to degrade that there wouldn't be many of them around today.  I started my search and didn't expect to find much but Seijun and yourself have been very helpful and friendly and this site has some pretty interesting information.  I find myself noticing dinosaurs I had as a kid as I browse through and kind of wishing I kept them.

Desperate

Thanks for the reply Dan.  I am surprised you have seen only one though but I guess it really is  pretty rare.  I am just surprised it wasn't going for more as I believe $100 was about the same price as when it was new.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I actually traded Dan that piece. It was ordered by my local Safari retailer for me. I believe it was supposed to be the first in a series , I think there was a Stegosaurus next in line. Safari also made a BIG version..maybe 6' long ? of it that kids could sit on and such for a display piece. Never seen that one in person .

DinoToyForum

Sounds like the only way to determine how much this figure is worth might be to let bidding commence. Rare figures like thi,s without a history of being bought and sold, are tricky to value. The market will decide what it's worth at any one time.  :)

amargasaurus cazaui

I guess i use the simpleton approach to value my dinosaurs. First I refuse to get overly obsessed what they are worth, or might bring because I will die with them. I would never sell them so price is hardly an issue.  If I did wish to find the true value for a toy, ultimately it is worth exactly what you are willing to accept in terms of not owning it anymore, and not a dollar less or dime more. When you can look and say, yes if I had this amount i would let it go, that is what it is worth..to you!. Then the trick is just finding someone that might value it as much as you do....which may or may not happen. They are seperate issues, what something is worth versus what someone will pay for it....at least I think.
  My advice would be set it up to sell it for the price you feel you NEED to let it go and listen for response. If you get a lot of negative, put it away again. At least you know that it would not bring an amount you feel is fair to sell for....works for me when I do sell things from my other collections.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

I bought one Tyrant King last year for EUR 20,-  :) on eBay.de. The base is missing, but it stands perfectly on its two feet.

Desperate

Thanks for all the replies everyone and amargasaurus cazaui I agree.  I am pretty strapped for cash and never really got into dinosaur collecting even though I had a pretty good collection when I was younger.  I think I will take everyone's advice and post it up on ebay.  It will probably be in a couple of days though as I can't really seem to find the time or energy to sit down and actually do it  ;D  Anyway to fund my current collecting hobby I could let it go at $100 like several of you have posted them going for in previous years.  Don't know if anyone would buy but it would be interesting to see what happens on ebay with a $100 starting bid  :)  I'll post here on this thread when I get it on ebay and and I'll post it in the chat encase anyone wants to follow it for future reference or to bid.  Thank you all very much for your help and I probably have some more models hiding somewhere that I will be sure to bug you guys about.